So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Forgot to add: oddly enough, the AGI test got into some of the specifics of commercial maneuvers, whereas the CAX written did not touch on them at all. "At the 90° point in a lazy eight, your bank angle should be:"

I was expecting some questions on the differences between parts 91/135/121, 'holding out' etc., and there was none of it.

Had a nice lesson on Sunday and let my uncle come along to sightsee. Very cool.

My other two lessons were cancelled due to low ceilings.

Same thing this week. One lesson in the logbook, next two cancelled.

Passed my PPL checkride yesterday. Had my first go at it the end of June, but decided to take off for the practical in wind that was beyond my current capabilities. As you could predict, I was off center on one of my landings, and had some altitude hiccups in my steep turns. After a few weeks of schedule jockeying, I went back and re-did those two things and the DPE printed me my ticket!

It was a lesson in ADM for sure (given that I-the-PIC decided to take off that day in June), and we chuckled over that fact after the "you passed" handshake. Now onward to instrument...

Keep training and "fly good!"

I spent 3 days in Coeur D'Alene doing the training for my A-MES add on. Brooke's Seaplane Service is highly recommended. I wanted a classic flying boat (Grumman Goose or the like) but all my research showed there is only one and they do a few ratings a year in conjunction with museum work.

So Brooke's Beech 18 on floats was my next choice. Round engines and all!

Day 1: Aircraft familiarization, air work (360 "steep" turns left then right, landing stall, takeoff stall) then landings and takeoffs. 1.4 hours.
The Beech is a solid flying airplane and other than being a bit heavier than I used too (dang thing is nearly 6x the empty weight of what I usually fly!) flies very nicely. Radial engines are fun, starting is a cross cockpit dance- press three buttons to engage the starter (and "shower of sparks"), wait three blades, then reach across in front of the co-pilot and flip on both mags, then start pumping the throttle like a madman as the primers are not fully functional. Left engine catches with a nice puff of smoke and we're taxiing. (It's a float plane, no brakes) steer, watch for boat traffic and repeat the process for the right engine. Once both are running, we taxi around the lake waiting as the engines warm up. It's easy to exceed the oil pressure with cold oil. Once we're close to operating temp, gently open the oil cooler bypass and continue to taxi as that oil gets warm. Then open the oil cooler damper. Next run up checks-engines to 1700 RPM, carb heat check, mag check, prop check, feather check all while zooming across the water and watching for traffic. If you're familiar with the controls and process it's not bad but you don't want to be slow about it. Eats up a lot of lake.

Take off is 35 inches of manifold pressure (these are supercharged engines and this is NOT full throttle, though it's close) with the yoke full back. First rise, second rise (float pilots will know) and then ease the back pressure until you find the sweet spot on the step. This plane will porpoise if you're too far forward and it gets worse quickly. At 70MPH ease back more and lift off. Then lower the nose to accelerate until you hit VMC (95 MPH). Once there, adjust power to 30 inches MP and 2000 RPM for climb. Flaps up, boost pumps off, flaps off. At TPA, (500' AGL) power to 26', props to 1800 RPM and you're ready to cruise or cruise climb.

We took off to the south on Lake Coeur D'Alene and flew down to the south end for some air work. Using 30 degrees of bank, I did back to back 360s left then right. All within commercial standards. One stall in landing config (full flaps, 18 inches MP, props forward) just to the buffet which is pronounced, but not violent. One stall in TO config but power reduced. Both were good enough for the CFI to go ahead with landings and takeoffs. More about this and docking later.

Attachments

• IMG_6106.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6107.jpeg
    IMG_6107.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
For the rest of day one...

We turned north and went to the middle of the lake to do takeoffs and landings. The landing pattern is at 500' AGL so you can see 1) wind speed and direction, 2) debris in the area, 3) boat traffic (and other obstructions). Downwind is 18 inches and 1800 RPM. Once in the white arc, flaps 15 degrees. Maintaining 100 mph, turn to base, add 15 degrees more flaps. Turn final still at 100 mph, full flaps, power to 15 inches, props forward. Let it come down, flare, keep flaring to hold it off, once it touches, power off (smoothly!) and yoke coming back. Flaps up, boost pumps off, water rudders down (and activated-you have to step on each rudder pedal in turn until you feel them come alive), flaps to off.

Each time we turned back downwind, turned upwind and then proceeded with a take off. Flaps 12, boost pumps on, water rudders up. Then as above, power 35 inches, etc.

It took me a few tries to get the sight picture right but mostly did very well day one. Day two was a different story but I'll tell that later.

Once done, we took off and headed up the lake to return to Brookes. We flew a straight in (knowing the lake) and then proceeded to dock. Kill avionics as this plane has generators not alternators so at idle you're running the batteries down. Docking means proceeding toward the shore until we're roughly middle of the pier. Turn toward the pier, pull carb heat for a power reduction, turn 45 towards the dock and pull the mixture. Turn parallel to the dock and DON'T HIT IT! This thing grosses at 8725 so it's not like docking a 172. It'll move the dock and crunch the floats if you're not careful. The dock crew catches the plane by a rope hanging off the wing, catches the front and rear cleat and ties you up. Then full shut down of switches, etc.

I can't take the checkride until Monday (19th) so I'll return for one quick refresher flight, then the oral and practical. Since I already have A-SES and A-MEL the practical will most likely be one tack, one landing and docking. We'll see.

John

For the rest of day one...

We turned north and went to the middle of the lake to do takeoffs and landings. The landing pattern is at 500' AGL so you can see 1) wind speed and direction, 2) debris in the area, 3) boat traffic (and other obstructions). Downwind is 18 inches and 1800 RPM. Once in the white arc, flaps 15 degrees. Maintaining 100 mph, turn to base, add 15 degrees more flaps. Turn final still at 100 mph, full flaps, power to 15 inches, props forward. Let it come down, flare, keep flaring to hold it off, once it touches, power off (smoothly!) and yoke coming back. Flaps up, boost pumps off, water rudders down (and activated-you have to step on each rudder pedal in turn until you feel them come alive), flaps to off.

Each time we turned back downwind, turned upwind and then proceeded with a take off. Flaps 12, boost pumps on, water rudders up. Then as above, power 35 inches, etc.

It took me a few tries to get the sight picture right but mostly did very well day one. Day two was a different story but I'll tell that later.

Once done, we took off and headed up the lake to return to Brookes. We flew a straight in (knowing the lake) and then proceeded to dock. Kill avionics as this plane has generators not alternators so at idle you're running the batteries down. Docking means proceeding toward the shore until we're roughly middle of the pier. Turn toward the pier, pull carb heat for a power reduction, turn 45 towards the dock and pull the mixture. Turn parallel to the dock and DON'T HIT IT! This thing grosses at 8725 so it's not like docking a 172. It'll move the dock and crunch the floats if you're not careful. The dock crew catches the plane by a rope hanging off the wing, catches the front and rear cleat and ties you up. Then full shut down of switches, etc.

I can't take the checkride until Monday (19th) so I'll return for one quick refresher flight, then the oral and practical. Since I already have A-SES and A-MEL the practical will most likely be one tack, one landing and docking. We'll see.

John

Just wanna say that as a PPL student I really enjoy reading these detailed insights!

Let me continue with day 2 of training.

Take off from Brooks and headed to the middle of the lake. We did a straight in and landing. It was rough. We went ahead and took off and headed down to the south end of the lake where we would hopefully find smoother water. I'm consistently forgetting to push the props forward on final after the last power reduction. Also, I need to keep m right hand on the throttles on take off an landing.

As a flatlander, I am not used to flying around these ridges and hills which come down to the water's edge. It just another distraction. We make a couple of landings on an east-west arm of the lake then a boat moves in so we move further down the east-west arm and try another. I'm still figuring out the sight picture on landing. On take off, the plane (which normally required full right rudder to stay pointed straight) turned right-there's a river outlet which was letting the wind out. No big deal but startling.

We adjusted further down the lake. By the end I'm getting pretty good landings and keeping my directional control well through the takeoff process (required rudder varies depending on where you are in the process). I've also been reminded that the plane turns left on water much better than right (torque & p-factor).

So we head back. The CFI tells me to make a straight in to Brooks. Then says nothing else. So once we're over the north end of the lake I turn, start cutting power, etc. but I've waited way to late. He steps in and says I waited to long, so we'll do a left pattern. I start the pattern low, work my way around, level the wings on final and I'm low and there's a boat right in front of me. I start maneuvering and he takes the controls (too low, too slow) and he adds powers and fixes it. Ugly. We talk about it later and he reminds me, you're in control-do what you've got to do-add power, whatever. Good message.

Now for my first docking. With a direct tailwind. I do it and they manage to catch the plane but it was too fast.

Ironic note: my wife-who is watching the landings from the dock and tacking pictures-texts me "Nice landing!"

So my confidence is low heading into day 3.

Day 3. Again the strong north wind. So we take off and head north to another lake, Lake Pend Oreille. Climb to 3500, watch for traffic from Coeur D'Alene airport, pop over this ridge, head for that one and then we're there. Head up to the middle of the lake and using a boat for reference attempt a straight in landing.

I manage the straight in pretty well, I'm landing about where I want. But whoosh! Is it rough! White caps, serious bounces and spray through the props-and that's just idle taxiing. So we do a real rough water takeoff with the CFI helping manage the bouncing on take off.

We go up to the north end of the lake where there are islands and do a series of landings, taxi in a circle, take off, fly the pattern and land. Now I'm mostly getting it. Good, slow consistent landing and managing all the sequences of controls.

We fly back to Lake Coeur D'Alene, do a left pattern, land and dock. Landing is rough water but my part is OK. Again the docking is too fast.

CFI and I do some ground just to satisfy him I've got it down. I do fine on all the seaplane stuff but need to learn some systems and aircraft specific stuff.

We agree that I'll get another flight in to knock the rust off before the ride.

10 days later, the practical test is scheduled for oral at the airport at 11. So I meet the CFI at the dock at 8 for a refresher flight.

The left engine has been giving some trouble starting, so we start the right first. I've been drilling myself on the sequences. I've got them nailed! Woohoo!

We take off and head down to the middle of the lake for some landings. The first one is darn near perfect! What a way to start! The next three are all flat and fast because I'm not judging the surface correctly. But we're out of time so take off, fly back north, and land. This one I flair to high, get slow but correct it OK.

Now I need to dock. Today I have a headwind coming into the dock. With my too fast docking experience in my head I cut the engines and immediately the dock crew starts making a circle over his head. I'm not going to make the dock and we have to start up and go around. Embarrassing! And even more confidence crushing.

So my heart is low as I head to the airport for the oral.

My exam is being conducted by an actual FAA employee not a DPE. He is very personable, but explains that DPE have some level of latitude, but he does not. He must check all the boxes. He also reminds me that perfection is not the standard, but that the successful outcome must never be in doubt.

We go through the aircraft, gross weight, empty weight, useful load, W&B, electrical system (generators vs alternators, voltage, batteries), fuel capacity, usable.

V-speeds (turns out there is a error in my study materials Vx is not 81mph, but 101mph).

We do some performance chart work to figure single engine performance.

He asks under what conditions is Vmc determined-sea level pressure, standard temp, full gross, CG in least advantageous position, take off flaps, full power on the good engine, critical engine (left on the Beech 18) windmilling, no more tha 5 degrees of bank into the good engine, and less than 150 lbs pressure on the rudder.

Seaplane operations, pattern altitude (500'), why? To see water conditions, obstructions etc. Sailing, who has the right of way (boats-basically you can't trust them so you give them the right of way despite technically a seaplane on the water is a boat regulation wise). Worst possible water conditions for seaplanes? Glassy.

What's different about a passenger briefing for a seaplane? (PFDs)

I pass! So now we head to the lake for the flying portion.

Once there, we are talking about the floats (How many compartments? 6, Where's the keel? Underneath. What's the most important part? Step. Why? To reduce drag, and allow a pivot point onto the step taxi).

Lastly, before we get in, FAA person reminds me 1) CFI is a safety pilot. He is right seat and he can take the controls if there is traffic I don't see no problem, otherwise if he touches the controls, it's a bust. 2) perfection is not the standard, successful outcome never in doubt is. I can use the safety pilot as a resource (he reads me the checklists, for example) but I'm PIC. 3) He's looking for judgement. If I have to abort 4 takeoffs due to traffic, abort 4 takeoffs. Be safe.

We get in the plane now that it's pumped out and get set to start. Right first, and we're taxiing. Left is stubborn but eventually catches. Once warm we put on headsets, turn on avionics and discover the FAA guy's headset is not working. So I'm in the middle of the run-up and the CFI and FAA guy are working the intercom problem. I finish the run up, they find a headset that works. Pre takeoff checklist: Flaps 12 degrees. Boost pumps on. Water rudders up. I take off. There's a lot more boat traffic than earlier, but I find a lane and take off.

I'm talking through the whoe sequence: Power 35". First rise. Second rise. On the step. 70mph. Off the water. Lower the nose and accelerate to Vmc. Climb. Power to 30" prop to 2000. Flaps up. Boost pump right off-pressure OK, left off-pressure OK. Flaps off. Call for after takeoff check to verify. Once at 2500', I level off, pull power to 26", props to 1800, and call for cruise check list. Check voltage on both generators, oil temp & pressure. We cruise down the lake for a few minutes, then I call right clear and turn back up the lake. We have traffic show up at 1 O'clock and low. We all three see it at about the same time. I turn slight right to keep it in sight as he heads past us down the lake to the south. I explain I'll wait until he's past then start my turn for right traffic. FAA persons says "Please do a 360 once he's past". So I do the 360. I've not kept altitude within CP standards during some of the maneuvering so he's checking that I can. I nail the 360 and tell him that' I'd roll out here but I'm continuing the turn to set up my pattern. He's happy.

I call for prelanding check list, setup 18" power, verify in the white arc, 15 degrees of flaps, boost pumps on, start my right turn. I ask the CFI how the boat traffic looks because I can't see it in a right turn. He reports we can find a spot. I drop 15 degrees more flaps on base (which is really a continuous turn) level the wings, go full flaps, pull power to 15" and push props forward in case of go around. I only have to maneuver a little bit to get a clear lane to land. Flair and we land flat and fast (again!). I manage the landing without any real excitement except the one bounce off a boat wake. I comment I'm sorry about the bounce. FAA guy says "It's still the best landing I've seen today." (It's his first ride!)

I get configured for taxi and start in. There's a lot of boats and I manage all of that traffic OK.

Now to dock. Again the headwind (really the best case for docking) and I'm patient. I cut the engines and CFI says "They won't even have to catch us!" It was perfect.

So now I have CP-AMES on my temporary certificate.

Overall, it was a blast doing this in the Beech. Expensive but very cool! Brooks is well set up to do this and I recommend them if you want to spend the $$$ for the classic ariplane experience. If all you want is the rating, find somebody who's using the Aircam and do it that way.

But I had a ball!

Still no DPE availability. 1 cnx for weather and the other just had too many “redos” to catch up on because of weather.

Still waiting to get some more solo hours knocked out. Weird weather here lately outside of my parameters, plus the plane went down for avionics one week and the 100 hour a few weeks ago. Feels like I’m stuck in the ocean without wind right now.

Congratulations!! Tell us about it.

Congratulations. Looking back, how did it go compared to how you thought it would go.
The oral portion was a lot easier than I expected, probably due to my level of over-preparation….but that’s better than the alternative.

The flight portion went generally well, with (3) minor caveats:

1) The unusual attitudes this DPE used were BRUTAL - far more intense than anything I got in training. Recovery was easy, but it left me feeling a bit queasy (which is incredibly rare for me).
2) My short field was a full-on drop-n-stop landing, and I don’t think he expected me to stop quite that short and rapidly. He gently…firmly…suggested that a less aggressive demonstration of the technique would have been sufficient.
3) I recovered the power-off stall a bit quickly and almost went into a secondary stall…but not quite. Stayed within limits, but he mentioned it in the debrief.

Overall it was a fun flight, but it wore me out mentally. It was generally in line with my expectations, covered a lot of material and skills in a very short period of time. Difficult, but fair and reasonable. Honestly, I expected to pass, but you have to earn it so there’s no room for complacency.

Supposed to have my ppl check ride today, Francine had other ideas. Rescheduled for 23rd.

That’s nearly 90 days trying to get this done! At least it’s fun and the extra 20+ hours aren’t a bad time.

The oral portion was a lot easier than I expected, probably due to my level of over-preparation….but that’s better than the alternative.

The flight portion went generally well, with (3) minor caveats:

1) The unusual attitudes this DPE used were BRUTAL - far more intense than anything I got in training. Recovery was easy, but it left me feeling a bit queasy (which is incredibly rare for me).
2) My short field was a full-on drop-n-stop landing, and I don’t think he expected me to stop quite that short and rapidly. He gently…firmly…suggested that a less aggressive demonstration of the technique would have been sufficient.
3) I recovered the power-off stall a bit quickly and almost went into a secondary stall…but not quite. Stayed within limits, but he mentioned it in the debrief.

Overall it was a fun flight, but it wore me out mentally. It was generally in line with my expectations, covered a lot of material and skills in a very short period of time. Difficult, but fair and reasonable. Honestly, I expected to pass, but you have to earn it so there’s no room for complacency.
congratulations!
It's such a relief when you pass. I remember walking in there for my ppl and my cfi said "what's wrong with you? you look like ****".
I was nervous and didn't sleep the night before. I felt the same nervousness for my instrument checkride. by the time my commercial checkride came I was a bit used to things and not nervous.
my multi engine checkride is next Wednesday and I woke up yesterday with the flu. hoping I can go by next Wednesday with the meds out if my system.

congratulations!
It's such a relief when you pass. I remember walking in there for my ppl and my cfi said "what's wrong with you? you look like ****".
I was nervous and didn't sleep the night before. I felt the same nervousness for my instrument checkride. by the time my commercial checkride came I was a bit used to things and not nervous.
my multi engine checkride is next Wednesday and I woke up yesterday with the flu. hoping I can go by next Wednesday with the meds out if my system.
Rest up! Don't let that junk cheat you out of the cert!

10 days later, the practical test is scheduled for oral at the airport at 11. So I meet the CFI at the dock at 8 for a refresher flight.

The left engine has been giving some trouble starting, so we start the right first. I've been drilling myself on the sequences. I've got them nailed! Woohoo!

We take off and head down to the middle of the lake for some landings. The first one is darn near perfect! What a way to start! The next three are all flat and fast because I'm not judging the surface correctly. But we're out of time so take off, fly back north, and land. This one I flair to high, get slow but correct it OK.

Now I need to dock. Today I have a headwind coming into the dock. With my too fast docking experience in my head I cut the engines and immediately the dock crew starts making a circle over his head. I'm not going to make the dock and we have to start up and go around. Embarrassing! And even more confidence crushing.

So my heart is low as I head to the airport for the oral.

My exam is being conducted by an actual FAA employee not a DPE. He is very personable, but explains that DPE have some level of latitude, but he does not. He must check all the boxes. He also reminds me that perfection is not the standard, but that the successful outcome must never be in doubt.

We go through the aircraft, gross weight, empty weight, useful load, W&B, electrical system (generators vs alternators, voltage, batteries), fuel capacity, usable.

V-speeds (turns out there is a error in my study materials Vx is not 81mph, but 101mph).

We do some performance chart work to figure single engine performance.

He asks under what conditions is Vmc determined-sea level pressure, standard temp, full gross, CG in least advantageous position, take off flaps, full power on the good engine, critical engine (left on the Beech 18) windmilling, no more tha 5 degrees of bank into the good engine, and less than 150 lbs pressure on the rudder.

Seaplane operations, pattern altitude (500'), why? To see water conditions, obstructions etc. Sailing, who has the right of way (boats-basically you can't trust them so you give them the right of way despite technically a seaplane on the water is a boat regulation wise). Worst possible water conditions for seaplanes? Glassy.

What's different about a passenger briefing for a seaplane? (PFDs)

I pass! So now we head to the lake for the flying portion.

Once there, we are talking about the floats (How many compartments? 6, Where's the keel? Underneath. What's the most important part? Step. Why? To reduce drag, and allow a pivot point onto the step taxi).

Lastly, before we get in, FAA person reminds me 1) CFI is a safety pilot. He is right seat and he can take the controls if there is traffic I don't see no problem, otherwise if he touches the controls, it's a bust. 2) perfection is not the standard, successful outcome never in doubt is. I can use the safety pilot as a resource (he reads me the checklists, for example) but I'm PIC. 3) He's looking for judgement. If I have to abort 4 takeoffs due to traffic, abort 4 takeoffs. Be safe.

We get in the plane now that it's pumped out and get set to start. Right first, and we're taxiing. Left is stubborn but eventually catches. Once warm we put on headsets, turn on avionics and discover the FAA guy's headset is not working. So I'm in the middle of the run-up and the CFI and FAA guy are working the intercom problem. I finish the run up, they find a headset that works. Pre takeoff checklist: Flaps 12 degrees. Boost pumps on. Water rudders up. I take off. There's a lot more boat traffic than earlier, but I find a lane and take off.

I'm talking through the whoe sequence: Power 35". First rise. Second rise. On the step. 70mph. Off the water. Lower the nose and accelerate to Vmc. Climb. Power to 30" prop to 2000. Flaps up. Boost pump right off-pressure OK, left off-pressure OK. Flaps off. Call for after takeoff check to verify. Once at 2500', I level off, pull power to 26", props to 1800, and call for cruise check list. Check voltage on both generators, oil temp & pressure. We cruise down the lake for a few minutes, then I call right clear and turn back up the lake. We have traffic show up at 1 O'clock and low. We all three see it at about the same time. I turn slight right to keep it in sight as he heads past us down the lake to the south. I explain I'll wait until he's past then start my turn for right traffic. FAA persons says "Please do a 360 once he's past". So I do the 360. I've not kept altitude within CP standards during some of the maneuvering so he's checking that I can. I nail the 360 and tell him that' I'd roll out here but I'm continuing the turn to set up my pattern. He's happy.

I call for prelanding check list, setup 18" power, verify in the white arc, 15 degrees of flaps, boost pumps on, start my right turn. I ask the CFI how the boat traffic looks because I can't see it in a right turn. He reports we can find a spot. I drop 15 degrees more flaps on base (which is really a continuous turn) level the wings, go full flaps, pull power to 15" and push props forward in case of go around. I only have to maneuver a little bit to get a clear lane to land. Flair and we land flat and fast (again!). I manage the landing without any real excitement except the one bounce off a boat wake. I comment I'm sorry about the bounce. FAA guy says "It's still the best landing I've seen today." (It's his first ride!)

I get configured for taxi and start in. There's a lot of boats and I manage all of that traffic OK.

Now to dock. Again the headwind (really the best case for docking) and I'm patient. I cut the engines and CFI says "They won't even have to catch us!" It was perfect.

So now I have CP-AMES on my temporary certificate.

Overall, it was a blast doing this in the Beech. Expensive but very cool! Brooks is well set up to do this and I recommend them if you want to spend the $$$ for the classic ariplane experience. If all you want is the rating, find somebody who's using the Aircam and do it that way.

But I had a ball!
For those following, I received my plastic certificate 31 days after the ride.

Was just wondering how many active students there are on here and how you guys are making out? Nice knowing others are pushing themselves through the same stuff. Let us know where you are with your training! :D

09/16/2014 Update: I passed my IR Checkride. I am going to gain experience in the system for a year then work on my commercial. Long term goal is CFI. Still a student. :yes:

04/22/2014 Update: I passed my instrument rating written test. Still gaining the required hood time.

02/13/2014 Update: I added High Performance to the logbook in Jan 2014. Still pursuing my instrument rating but the winter weather has kept me from doing much.

11/08/2013 Update: I passed my PPL Checkride in Sept 2013. I am pursuing my instrument rating currently. I hope this thread can stay alive with the status of other students. It is nice reading everyone's progress!

My Original Post:

I'm getting really close to my check ride and have 56 hours so far. I'm guessing i'll have close to 70 hours when I take the tests. Took me a grueling 28 to solo and I have been flying more than required because this stuff is just to dang fun. So much for the 40 hour requirement. :rofl:

I know a few of you are around the same point and others catching up fast. :goofy:
I am close to checkride PPL

Back