Sky Vector

The problem I have with it is that the maps are tiled and you can't download them in big chunks. Didn't there used to be a site where you could download an entire chart in some huge 45 MB file or something?

Ken Ibold said:
The problem I have with it is that the maps are tiled and you can't download them in big chunks. Didn't there used to be a site where you could download an entire chart in some huge 45 MB file or something?

Don't even think about it if you're on dialup. :no:
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/sectionals/current/

Much better plan - mail order from the FAA:

Individual East/West/Alaska DVD's are $11.70 a pop.
http://www.avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster

Terminal procedures full country DVD $12.50:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/d_tpp

I haven't ordered any yet so I don't know how they work but I'll have to at some point when I get around to it just because.

Arnold said:
Frank, what software is required to display the charts?
Note there are three files associated with each one. You want to download the BIG file, the one with the color icon. It is a TIFF file, which then opens with Photoshop or other photo editing program.

Yeah, Ken, I suspect they stopped updating them a while back. That site lets you get all kinds of old charts too, if you want them, but unfortunately, the charts are all outdated now.

SkyHog said:
Yeah, Ken, I suspect they stopped updating them a while back. That site lets you get all kinds of old charts too, if you want them, but unfortunately, the charts are all outdated now.

Good news is, the mountains don't move much... :)

AirBaker said:
Good news is, the mountains don't move much... :)

Unless someone come along and puts up a 1500' tall Radio Tower on the peak

HPNFlyGirl said:
Those little towers aren't so little when you look at them from the ground.

Or when you get up close and personal at 130 mph (or about 115 knots)

The Cherokee I trained in airspeed indicater is referenced to MPH, it is soooo hard for me to think in knots.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Or when you get up close and personal at 130 mph (or about 115 knots)

The Cherokee I trained in airspeed indicater is referenced to MPH, it is soooo hard for me to think in knots.

Did you train in Jim Dukemans plane?

HPNFlyGirl said:
Did you train in Jim Du.......... plane?
Yep, thought you knew that!! I attended his ground school at Wake Tech, joined his and San.....'s flying club, I was no longer in the flying club when i went for my check ride so I had to rent a c172R from Southern Jet at RDU. That transition as a student from a pa28-180 to a c172 about to take the ride was VERY difficult, (never could find the carb heat,) just could not think in knots . I managed to be comfortable, and signed off after about 10 hrs dual and a couple of solo x-country's I have not been in a Cessna since the following week after getting my "ticket"when I flew to Burlington to a Young Eagle Rally/ balloon Fiesta/ Air show. Logged my first flight as a certificated ( if you dont count the ride home from check ride)pilot, first passenger ,first ramp check, and first young eagle that day.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Yep, thought you knew that!! I attended his ground school at Wake Tech, joined his and San.....'s flying club, I was no longer in the flying club when i went for my check ride so I had to rent a c172R from Southern Jet at RDU. That transition as a student from a pa28-180 to a c172 about to take the ride was VERY difficult, (never could find the carb heat,) just could not think in knots . I managed to be comfortable, and signed off after about 10 hrs dual and a couple of solo x-country's I have not been in a Cessna since the following week after getting my "ticket"when I flew to Burlington to a Young Eagle Rally/ balloon Fiesta/ Air show. Logged my first flight as a certificated ( if you dont count the ride home from check ride)pilot, first passenger ,first ramp check, and first young eagle that day.

I kind of knew but wasnt 100% sure. I told Jim you said Hi. He was like HES HERE REALLY!!!! No Jim...i spoke to him on the internet. Jim sends his love.

New feature I discovered today on Skyvector...a flight planning tool.

Right click anywhere on a sectional and it will bring up a small option box that shows the GPS coordinates and a small button - "plan."

Right click on an airport or navaid and you will have the option of getting info on the airport/navaid by clicking on the airport name in the small info box, in addition to the coordinates and the "plan" button.

When you "plan" your start and destination Airnav draws a line between the two and shows distance and bearing information in the right column. Will do multi-leg trips too. Not really for navigation but as a planning tool it is pretty fast and I like it a lot.

Also the drop down menus for charts are gone, but if you mouseover the charts icon at the top of the page next to the Skyvector logo it will bring up a menu to select any chart graphically.

skyvector12.JPG

Last edited:
Hmm weird, just decided to check out the planning feature, and Skyvector doesn't seem to show me any of the charts. I am using IE6.0 sp2 here at work. anyone else having this issue?

Pete

P.S. it used to work just fine for me in the past.

Hmm weird, just decided to check out the planning feature, and Skyvector doesn't seem to show me any of the charts. I am using IE6.0 sp2 here at work. anyone else having this issue?

Pete

I know it needs Javascript enabled. Go to your advance settings and make sure java is toggled on.

I use Firefox so I can't tell you exactly how to do that anymore, been too long.

Pete

Interesting... It doesn't draw the line for me. Is there something you have to click to say "I'm finished, draw the line?"

I can't figure out how to use the PLAN function. I select the first point OK but when I try to select a second point, it just replaces the first point with the second. My "Flight Plan" always consists of just 1 point, the last one I right clicked and clicked the "PLAN" button on.

I can't figure out how to use the PLAN function. I select the first point OK but when I try to select a second point, it just replaces the first point with the second. My "Flight Plan" always consists of just 1 point, the last one I right clicked and clicked the "PLAN" button on.

Are you right-clicking over a new second point and picking Plan? When I do that, it draws a red line with a bearing and distance between the two. See the attached image of a 3-point plan, with the plan summary table on the right.

Attachments

• fltPlan.jpg
    fltPlan.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
FF 2.0.0.7 Flight plan works just fine. right click, select plan either runway or GPs coor. Select second spot and right click. Select plan either runway or GPS coor. Done. Won't cross sectional boundary AFAIK.

It will cross sectional boundaries by the way...once you have a point in the right hand column you can pan to a different sectional or IFR chart (pan outside the boundaries then select the appropriate chart button at top right for the next one over or select a different chart from the pop up window by mousing-over the "charts" icon at top left) and select another point or airport. It will show distance and the track line will be seen going off into blank space. I planned a route from Fairbanks to Arizona yesterday (never mind why :dunno: )

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 3
Just tried again and did exactly the same thing I was doing before but this time, it worked.

Previously, instead of adding the next point, it was replacing the first point with the next point so I always had a single point plan consisting of only the last point that I had right clicked and selected. Its just a conspiracy to make me think I'm crazy. Well, it won't work because I already know that I am.

Wait, I am on a different computer. This one uses XP and the other one still uses Windows 98. Maybe that was the problem. I'll test it the next time I fire up the other computer.

Back