Size of hangar

Axelaxe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Axelaxe
Hi!

I ordered a Zlin Norden and I am now in the planing stages of building a hangar at our farm strip.

The plan is to have room for two aircraft in a decently comfortable setting.

Not being too handy I will have a large barn builder we work with build it.

My thoughts were 45 feet × 45 feet with a 35 feet hangar door. I though that would future proof for whatever aircraft i might store in the future.
I have received a quote for a door that slides upp into the roof, like a garage door.

Any thoughts?

Yes if it were me i would not make a hanger door just barely too narrow for a 172/182 etc.

If It were me, I would want to build something with a size and door width that would fit any plane I can ever foresee myself, one of my kids, or a prospective property buyer owning.

Just the other day I saw a property listed with a hangar that was sized very precisely for the owner's small plane....and won't fit the majority of GA planes. That's going to be a tough sell....

Last edited:
If It were me, I would want to build something with a size and door that would fit any plane I can ever foresee myself, one of my kids, or a prospective property buyer owning.

Just the I saw a property listed with a hangar that was sized very precisely for the owner's small plane....and won't fit the majority of GA planes. That's going to be a tough sell....
Exactly. Even a 172, IIRC has a 36ft wing span. You have to be extra careful moving that through a 40 ft door.
I wouldn't buy anything with less than a 40 ft door, and preferably 44 ft or more.

Also, double check height. A 10-foot roll-up door that leaves a few inches showing will exclude a lot of planes. Ex: Cessna 210 is 9'8".

Confirm how much you can afford to spend on the hangar and then build the biggest you can within the budget. No pilot anywhere ever said “I wish my hangar was smaller.”

You need room for maintenance (plenty of room to move around, workbench, storage, equipment), and maybe some day for a second plane.

60x60x16 with a 45'x12' or 50'x12' bifold door. Can you fit two high wings or two low wings in a smaller space? Sure. However, playing tetris with aircraft could get nerve-wracking when you only have inches of clearance. Not to mention storage of other aviation items and room to actually walk around the aircraft.

I don't remember ever seeing a hangar with a roll up door, but I suppose there are some. Bifold doors are probably the most common, and some of the local private hangars have tilt doors. If it snows where you are, be sure to avoid any doors that slide side to side. I had to deal with that in Michigan years ago.

Thanks for all the great input! My aircraft of choice is SEP and they usually max out at around 30 feet wingspan.
The hangar size is already around my budget, but I agree at least a 40 feet door will important to aim for.
I played around in CAD and it works at current size, but as you say, there isn't much left after the tetris:ing..
What would be the most important dimension, width or length of an hangar, if one had to choose.

My aircraft of choice is SEP and they usually max out at around 30 feet wingspan.
SEP? :dunno:

That Norden is REALLY small and light, and isn't representative of the majority of GA planes.

A basic Cessna 172 has a wingspan more than 36 feet, more than 27 ft long, and 9 ft high.

Look at the Piper Malibu: 43 ft wingspan, 30 ft length, 11.25 ft tail height. Admittedly a larger example, but there are a lot of them around.

Last edited:
Back