TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Note, when I tried it I did not get any sort of enrollment confirmation. If you try it, please let me know if you do. I'm on Verizon.

New for 2011, AirVenture attendees can stay up-to-date on daily highlights, including aircraft arrivals and air show lineups, as well as potential severe weather or vehicle traffic updates by subscribing to receive text messaging alerts on your mobile device.

EAA staff will provide timely updates in case of severe weather, as well as what necessary procedures to follow.

Text OSHALERT to 84444 to automatically sign up for any necessary Weather & Vehicle Traffic alerts.

Text OSHFUN to 84444 to automatically sign up for notable Features & Attractions.

You can cancel at any time by texting STOP to 84444. Standard messaging rates apply per your cellphone provider.

I'm on Verizon, and did get an SMS reply for both OSHALERTS and OSHFUN. Phone is the Droid Incredible.

Very cool! Thanks, Troy! Useful information. I have AT and T here... also got a confirmation text for both sign-ups. :)

Confirmations instantly on AT&T here also.

Whether or not texts or the phone itself even works in OSH will be up for finding out. Wasn't too good last year.

Saw a Verizon COW truck way out back in one of the parking lots last year, inside their fenced off regular cell site, but AT&T seemed to be their usual no-show.

I'll try registering again. Maybe I did it TOO soon.

Apparently that was it; my original ones were sent July 7th at 7:03, right after receiving an email about it. No confirmation.

Tried again now, from the same 'conversation thread' on my phone for '84444' and received immediate confirmations. I bet it wasn't quite up and running when they sent the email announcement.

I signed up, but still not certain I'm going.

Confirmations instantly on AT&T here also.

Whether or not texts or the phone itself even works in OSH will be up for finding out. Wasn't too good last year.

Saw a Verizon COW truck way out back in one of the parking lots last year, inside their fenced off regular cell site, but AT&T seemed to be their usual no-show.

Huh? AT&T had three of 'em last year to Verizon's one, and worked quite well the entire week - Best AT&T has worked on the OSH grounds since 2007!

AT&T at OSH: A timeline.

2007: The iPhone is three weeks old. AT&T has no real problems.
2008: Everyone has an iPhone. AT&T is brought to their knees. Text messages take upwards of four hours to be delivered. Phone calls? Fugeddaboutit.
2009: AT&T gets a clue and brings in a temporary cell. It probably melted by the end of the week, but at least you could send and receive texts pretty quickly and make a phone call now and then.
2010: AT&T customers are pleasantly surprised that their carrier finally got a real clue and set up three separate temporary cells on the OSH grounds, worked quite well, and finally shut up those annoying Verizon bastards.

Yeah but wasn't the attendance quite down in 2010?

Your years need attendance numbers to make them meaningful. ;)

Yeah but wasn't the attendance quite down in 2010?

Only a 7-percent drop from 2009. AT&T service was WAY more than 7 percent better...

Your years need attendance numbers to make them meaningful. ;)

The important number is that AT&T had three cells on-site in 2010.

EDIT: Here's the numbers:

2007: 560,000
2008: 540,000
2009: 578,000
2010: 535,000

So, the worst year for AT&T was the 2nd-lowest, and within 1% of last year's when AT&T worked great.

Last edited:
I'm so annoyed with AT&T service here in Denver with massive dropped calls and not delivering inbound calls near I-25 and Belleview that I've toyed with the idea of switching to the VZ iPhone. The whole CDMA not being able to do simultaneous voice and data is a problem for me, though. Sometimes I ssh to servers to fix them while the person who called saying it's broken is on the phone. Hanging up on them would be bad form.

I'm also testing out a microcell at home and their implementation of that is truly awful too. It's borrowed from another flying buddy who gave up on it at his business in Idaho.

Longest non-dropped call was yesterday from Colorado Springs to Castle Rock in a month. I-25 outside of populated areas is apparently covered better than the Denver Tech Center office complex.

It's gotten so bad that my family now dials my Google Voice number just in case I'm somewhere near one of the other phones in my life. I no longer have a "mobile" phone in town.

My Vonage line is more reliable than my cell phone, and that's not saying much.

The alert system works. Got this text this morning:

To those on AV grounds, NWS is predicting 70mph winds will move thru at approx 9:20am. Please take necessary shelter & precautions.

Tweet from @wittmanairport said there were storm clouds rolling in over the airport, but just sprinkles... looks like the winds didn't materialize.

METAR said:
KOSH 181453Z 21004KT 10SM SCT021 25/21 A2997 RMK AO2 SLP130 60000 T02500206 50005
KOSH 181422Z 35014G18KT 6SM HZ SCT018 BKN027 BKN095 28/24 A3000 RMK AO2
KOSH 181353Z 26006KT 6SM HZ CLR 28/25 A2998 RMK AO2 PRESRR SLP134 T02830250
KOSH 181253Z 19007KT 3SM BR CLR 27/26 A2994 RMK AO2 RAB1154E06 SLP120 P0000 T02720256

Back