SCAM Emails

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
For the last several weeks I've been deluged with dozens of the Nigeria-type notices of my latest windfalls? Anybody else getting them?
The latest email is of a different nature, yet strange. See below:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear manufacturer and supplier, Inquiry about your product!

I am an accredited commission Agent and we are looking for interested manufacturer`s and capable supplier`s whose products are of good quality.
Can you please furnish us in full details of your products range. We will appreciate it more if you can mail us with detailed specifications, catalog and your price lists to avoid making a wrong choice of products.

Get back to me with the requested details and I will revert back to you appropriately with some necessary details. Payment terms is 100% before shipment, Port of discharge, etc.
I am anticipating your immediate response!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Mr. David Nkuruma,
President.
Darkums Company Limited.
No. 24 Ridge lane, Second Floor,
Accra North - Ghana.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Strange,

HR

I never open these types of spam email, I just delete them unopened. Couldn't tell you what's in them or who they're from.

Six to eight months ago, I started getting more spam on my yahoo email account. It has tapered off again, though, and I'm not getting any spam now. I never did start receiving offers from Nigerian princes. I haven't had that pleasure for several years.

We have been getting actual purchase orders from spammers via e-mail claiming to be from university's for hard drives, and other easy to resell peripheral equipment. PO is on university letterhead signed by the actual procurement officer. Of course they want net 30 terms.

The first clue it was a scam was the e-mail address. (john.doe@USCberkleyedu.com) instead of just .edu. Second clue was a ship to address of a storage facility in Georgia. :loco:

A call to the procurement office confirmed the scam.

This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last few months.

My spam and scams have gone way, way down since I started checking incoming mail against the abuseat.org CBL. I haven't noticed any FPs, either.

Rich

My spam and scams have gone way, way down since I started checking incoming mail against the abuseat.org CBL. I haven't noticed any FPs, either.

How do you use that Web site? When I try to go there, it just says "Nothing here."

It's pretty damn bad when they start using Texas Hay Exchange (a hay buying and selling website) to try to scam you.

I've recieved three emails from scammers pretending to want to buy hay, but since they can't come in person, they must send their 'driver' ... could you please forward your address, billing info, and any other pertinent info to make a check out to?

I responded to one and said "you need to go buy turnips from a guy who just fell off a turnip truck." :rolleyes:

How do you use that Web site? When I try to go there, it just says "Nothing here."

Well, it's not really a Web site. It's a Composite Blocking List against which mail servers (and possibly mail clients -- I really don't know) can check incoming mail. You can read more about it at http://cbl.abuseat.org/.

I get most mail of my mail through mail servers that I administer, so I implemented this RBL in Exim. It actually saves a bit in resources compared to having SpamAssassin run its various checks: Mail tagged as spam because the sending server is in an RBL is deleted before the more resource-intensive Bayesian analysis and so forth are run. (The problem, of course, is the risk of false positives; but I haven't noticed any while running through the mail delivery reports for my most spam-ridden users.)

I'm thinking about installing some sort of pre-Exim spam-filtering proxy or setting up a machine as a dedicated mail washer / mail server, but I'm also thinking about outsourcing the mail altogether. If I don't wind up doing the latter, I'll probably do the former. I do know that mail is taking a greater and greater percentage of my time.

Rich

For the last several weeks I've been deluged with dozens of the Nigeria-type notices of my latest windfalls? Anybody else getting them?
The latest email is of a different nature, yet strange. See below:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear manufacturer and supplier, Inquiry about your product!

I am an accredited commission Agent and we are looking for interested manufacturer`s and capable supplier`s whose products are of good quality.
Can you please furnish us in full details of your products range. We will appreciate it more if you can mail us with detailed specifications, catalog and your price lists to avoid making a wrong choice of products.

Get back to me with the requested details and I will revert back to you appropriately with some necessary details. Payment terms is 100% before shipment, Port of discharge, etc.
I am anticipating your immediate response!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Mr. David Nkuruma,
President.
Darkums Company Limited.
No. 24 Ridge lane, Second Floor,
Accra North - Ghana.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Strange,

HR

It's totally legit! Didn't you see that it's from Ghana and not Nigeria? :)

So you got a spam email. You recognized it and hopefully deleted it and blocked the address. Good job. Let's not waste our lives over this pointless stuff. I think we all have better things to do than worry about email spam.
Now let's go fly!!

Back