Sanford to Cape Fear Regional, NC

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Had a nice flight on Sunday. Sitting around the house around noon, my girlfriend asked if I wanted to go to some antique store with her. No way that was happening. She then completely surprised me by asking if I wanted to go fly somewhere cool. Duh

She has been up with me several times but never on any cross country flights, just quick sightseeing hops and once a short night flight to EXX (barely over 50mi) for BBQ.

So I looked on myfbo and booked a C152 for the afternoon and started looking for airports within around an hour. Plenty of them of course, but I settled on Cape Fear Regional (KSUT) located just 2 miles from southport, a nice town on the coast with great seafood. A quick check of the weather and we were in the car heading for the airport.

Departed around 2:45 PM from TTA with a broken / scattered layer with bases around 3500 feet. The air under the deck was not too bad but my passenger is prone to airsickness so I made the climb. It took forever in the 152 (full fuel, 90 degree day) but eventually we made it on up to a comfortable altitude of 7500 feet. The airplane's performance was a little anemic and the headwinds were a few knots higher but the air was smooth and she was really enjoying the view.

Landed at KSUT which was quite a busy airport! Skydivers, Waco Biplanes, Cirrus's all buzzing around. Topped off and found the FBO staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful. Borrowed the crew car for a run into town for some seafood and a walk around.

Departed SUT around 6:15 PM. I was originally planning on a night flight back but with a few showers in the forecast and ceilings in the neighborhood of 3-4k feet (lower than was previously forecasted) I decided that a night flight was not going to be comfortable.

Climbed up to 4500 and went up to 6500 for a little while. Then the clouds got taller and climbing the little 152 to 8500 would have taken forever, and I would still have to weave around the buildups. It was time to descend (hoping I don't make her sick). Fortunately since it was late in the day the air was smooth and we didn't have any issues with vomit. Ceiling was around 4000 feet and I descended to 3000 and flew on home.

Great day in the air, hope to do it again soon. Logged 2.8 on the hobbs. .4 of that was taxi and waiting on bozos

Last edited:
42a20fd3-9467-152b.jpg

Had a nice flight on Sunday. Sitting around the house around noon, my girlfriend asked if I wanted to go to some antique store with her. No way that was happening. She then completely surprised me by asking if I wanted to go fly somewhere cool. Duh

So you'll be antiquing NEXT weekend, then? ;)

I am based at KSUT, and I did pretty much the reverse of your flight. Left KSUT at about 1430, flew to Chapel Hill to return my daughter and a friend to UNC, then back to KSUT. Arrived back about 1715. Had to deviate east around a cell over Fayetteville on the way back, but it had probably moved out of the way by the time you came back through.

I was probably on the ramp at the same time. I got back to the airport around 17:40

Fayetteville was relatively clear but I did have to go around a very small, heavy isolated shower right over white lake.

Back