Rotax at 10 years, TBO rebuild time

John Spartan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Spartan
So I’ve been reading about Rotax TBO and have seen a few 2014-2015 birds with 912/914 popping up for sale. Are those engines required rebuild at 10 years for internal seals and such? Or do they just follow “on inspection” guidelines?

For the most personally used aircraft, TBO means nothing.

My Rotax has been running since 1998. I did have the seals in the water pump replaced since there was a leak.

Lycoming and Continental say overhaul is required at 12 years calendar time regardless of hours. How many private guys do that? None that I know.

Lycoming and Continental say overhaul is required at 12 years calendar time regardless of hours. How many private guys do that? None that I know.
Considering the number of birds that sit for a decade and only run 10 hours a year I’d say “not enough”? Obviously people flying 200+ hours a year have much happier engines. It is interesting to see what Rotax owners are doing tho.

Considering the number of birds that sit for a decade and only run 10 hours a year I’d say “not enough”? Obviously people flying 200+ hours a year have much happier engines. It is interesting to see what Rotax owners are doing tho.
That’s urban legend. I know lots and lots of seaplanes that get dry docked outdoors for 7 months every year. No problems. A neighbor inherited a garaged c-150 that sat unpreserved with a low time overhaul for 15 years. The engine inspected perfectly. I see old engines wear out, but not suddenly. So it goes with infrequently used engines. They provide ample warning that they’re tired.

That’s urban legend. I know lots and lots of seaplanes that get dry docked outdoors for 7 months every year. No problems. A neighbor inherited a garaged c-150 that sat unpreserved with a low time overhaul for 15 years. The engine inspected perfectly. I see old engines wear out, but not suddenly. So it goes with infrequently used engines. They provide ample warning that they’re tired.
Rust and corrosion after sitting is a myth? Interesting

I know of a few, with money and want the confidence of a fresh engine, baring "infant mortality rate"

Back