Rogers (Lake Almanor, CA) (O05)

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Anyone ever been here? Thinking about a trip up there in a C172. Same elevation as KRNO where I am based. I have about 90 hours and have only done a few trips post-PPL.

Looks like right traffic for 34 takes you over the lake on downwind. Any tips for going in there? I'd be coming from the east I think KRNO-KSVE-O05. Probably not landing at KSVE but the terrain that way is lower than following Hwy 70.

Last edited:
It's a long runway, you should be fine. Long walk to town but they used to have bikes available.
Just as a note to low timer, it's never (or rarely) a bad idea to follow roads, preferably interstate, in the mountains. I do on all cross countries. How close depends on altitude. With a 14 to 1 glide ratio from 12,500 to 15,500 my offset gets bigger depending on road height. A number of planes are lost each year to those who feel differently - one last time.....
Have fun. Chester is a cool little town.

Last edited:
Hwy 70 doesn't have many good places to land, that's why the thought of following generally better terrain north of there, along Hwy 36.

Rogers is 5020x100 feet so that's pretty comfortable. Looks like a line of trees along the west side, 300-400 feet from centerline.

I was there a couple of months ago in an Archer, when it was cooler. There is quite a bit of terrain surrounding the airport. I would suggest planning your take off for when it is cooler and you may need to circle for altitude. Watch your DA. There were four bikes available when I was there and the airport was pretty quiet. The town isn't too far, maybe a mile and a half or so. There are plenty of restaurants.

It looks to be a similar elevation to Reno (where I live and trained), but yes in these 100° days, I'll wait till it is cooler.

It looks to be a similar elevation to Reno (where I live and trained), but yes in these 100° days, I'll wait till it is cooler.

The differences are that RNO has a longer runway and there is more terrain to deal with at Rogers on departure. Altitude is only one piece of the formula. It is doable, but do the planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back