Robinson 12 year calendar timeout?

Kevin Eggert

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I've read a couple contradictory things about the Robinson R22, R44, R66 TBO requirements. I've read several places that the TBO on pretty much everything is 2200 hrs or 12 calendar years. I've also seen the R44 Maintenance Manual which lists out individual components' maximnum service life as showing 2200 hours on everything with only the main and tail rotor blades having the 12 year limitation. If anyone has actual knowledge of how it works, could you possibly clear this up. I'm just getting started in the helicopter world, and would like to learn a bit more.

I think that the long and short of it is that if you want to get your moneys worth, you will have to be using it in a flight school, pipeline patrol or other high hour operation, so that you don’t leave any hours unflown at the end of the twelve years. It’s generally as simple as that.

I went through this when helping my son in law move into the helicopter world.
I've read a couple contradictory things about the Robinson R22, R44, R66 TBO requirements. I've read several places that the TBO on pretty much everything is 2200 hrs or 12 calendar years. I've also seen the R44 Maintenance Manual which lists out individual components' maximnum service life as showing 2200 hours on everything with only the main and tail rotor blades having the 12 year limitation. If anyone has actual knowledge of how it works, could you possibly clear this up. I'm just getting started in the helicopter world, and would like to learn a bit more.

I've read a couple contradictory things about the Robinson R22, R44, R66 TBO requirements. I've read several places that the TBO on pretty much everything is 2200 hrs or 12 calendar years.
First, some context using the R44 manual. For a Part 91 aircraft everything outside of MM Chapter 3.3, is merely OEM recommendations. So per the FARs the minimum legal requirement to maintain a R44 is 91.409(a), 43 Appx D, 43.15(b)&(c), and 43.16, ie., MM Chapter 3.3 Airworthiness Limitations.

In general, the MM Chapter 2, 2200hr/12month inspections are not mandatory just as the Lycoming OH and inspections are not mandatory. However, you’ll find most R22, 44, 66 private owners find themselves limited to only Robinson Service Centers who can provide maintenance.

And those service centers can only follow the OEM recommended program. Hence the various answers to your questions. But from a legal standpoint, just as you can maintain a fixed wing with the same 91/43 references, you can maintain a helicopter as well, to include turbine helicopters. However, it is not always the best route follow as it can heavily depend on the owner's actual experience and resources. Make sense?

Back