reducing zinc chromate primer

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
The PTI-GCROM primer I have, spec: TT-P-1757B TY I CL C, that I got for all raw metal on my amphibion requires a reducer. Can something generic be used or must I order their reducer, spec: PT-1003 type III ?

It's going to be brushed & rolled on.

Thanks in advance.

The PTI-GCROM primer I have, spec: TT-P-1757B TY I CL C, that I got for all raw metal on my amphibion requires a reducer. Can something generic be used or must I order their reducer, spec: PT-1003 type III ?

Thanks in advance.

I tried googling it and didn't come up with anything. It depends on what type of paint it is as to what to reduce it with. Personally, I go by smell to figure out the thinner/reducer for it if I'm avoiding a high priced brand name reducer. The risk with doing that though is you may end up with something in the prime coat which is incompatable with the top coat you're going to put over it, so you have to be very careful about this. If it thins with something like MEK you should be ok.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure it is a reducer and not an activator. If you are going to roll/brush it on make sure you need the reducer. A reducer is used to get the proper viscosity for spraying.

Dan

Make sure it is a reducer and not an activator. If you are going to roll/brush it on make sure you need the reducer. A reducer is used to get the proper viscosity for spraying.

Dan

Or brushing, sometimes different reducers are used for this like with Awl Grip.

PTI rep says no more than 10% MEK may be used to increase coverage, may be brushed, rolled, dipped on without reducing. Their PTI specific ZnCh reducer product mixes at 1/1 ratio.

PTI rep says no more than 10% MEK may be used to increase coverage, may be brushed, rolled, dipped on without reducing. Their PTI specific ZnCh reducer product mixes at 1/1 ratio.

Found the stuff, here's the composition from its MSDS sheet:

01 ETHYL ACETATE 141-78-6 35.3 %
02 METHYL ETHYL KETONE M.E.K. 78-93-3 32.1 %
03 PROP GLY. METHYL ETHER ACETATE 108-65-6 27.6 %
04 TOLUENE 108-88-3 4.0 %​
05 XYLENE 1330-20-7 1.0 %

I'm not familiar enough to know what is on the market that matches that composition, but I would say that if you need three gallons worth, it'll probably cost you about $80 to mix it up in that small of a quantity.

Found the stuff, here's the composition from its MSDS sheet:

01 ETHYL ACETATE 141-78-6 35.3 %
02 METHYL ETHYL KETONE M.E.K. 78-93-3 32.1 %
03 PROP GLY. METHYL ETHER ACETATE 108-65-6 27.6 %
04 TOLUENE 108-88-3 4.0 %
05 XYLENE 1330-20-7 1.0 %

I'm not familiar enough to know what is on the market that matches that composition, but I would say that if you need three gallons worth, it'll probably cost you about $80 to mix it up in that small of a quantity.

Thanks all.
I've already got the ZnCh primer so will just cut it 10% with good ol' MEK and brush on its superior anti-corrosive goodness that only the near epitome of toxicity can provide...

Last edited:
Back