Question

thetractordoc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thetractordoc
I recently purchased a 1946 Aeronica Chief, but do not have the right Weight and Balance graphs. Does anyone have these?:confused:

Last edited:
Thanks Steve,
I also found this at hangar9 a few days ago, but I don't know how to use this without a loading graph or at least the reference point of the empty CG.
I intend to check with other EAA members to see if someone can help.
:dunno:
:idea:

Thanks Steve,
I also found this at hangar9 a few days ago, but I don't know how to use this without a loading graph or at least the reference point of the empty CG.
I intend to check with other EAA members to see if someone can help.
:dunno:
:idea:
The empty weight / CG should be specific to your aircraft since it changes with changes in paint, equipment, etc. For example, all the gyros and radios in your full IFR panel probably moved the empty CG forward 1 or 2 inches :rofl:.

Look through the log books for the last weigh-in or equipment change.

Beyond that, it's simple algebra.

Hmmm, a quick glance at the type certificate did not specify the datum line (distance) from which the weights are multiplied to get the moment arm... Or I missed it...

denny-o

Hmmm, a quick glance at the type certificate did not specify the datum line (distance) from which the weights are multiplied to get the moment arm... Or I missed it...

denny-o

"Specifications Pertinent to All Models
Datum Wing leading edge at fuselage.
Leveling Means Any portion of the cabin floor to level laterally and longitudinally."

But, since all the arms are given (except for things that were added later like transponders, etc.) I'm not sure if it is really needed.

denny-o

FWIW, the actual zero station (datum line) doesn't matter as long as all arms are measured from the same one.

And I don't know if this apples to a Chief but the W&B data for my Porterfield simply states that as long as the empty CG falls within a certain range, any plausible loading of the two seats and baggage compartment which complies with the per seat, baggage, and total weight limits will result in the loaded airplane being within acceptable CG limits.

Go to the FAA's website and download the TCDS.

Edit: I just went to look and it says the TCDS server will be down for at least 72 hours. Go government...

Back