Puerto Rico - USDA Inspections?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Has anyone flown GA direct from PR to the mainland? I hear there is a USDA inspection required - does anyone know how this works, or if there is a way to get this done cheaply on weekends (apparently it is a several hundred dollar charge)?

How is this enforced? Is there a code or something I need to put in the flightplan remarks?

Find the tail number of an airplane owned by a FBO that charges egregious fees. File your return flight under that tail number to that airport.

Yep, I've been through the "Airline Passenger" version a few times. Just not sure how it works from a GA perspective, especially since the procedure seems to be different on weekends vs. weekdays.

I assume that I can't just do it by bringing bags over to airline terminal...... I'll ask the "official sources", but as you know, ask 5 government employees, you'll get 10 different answers.... ;)

Ok… think I got the scoop on it. Most reasonable airport will be San Juan international. Outbound agriculture inspection is “free” from 8am - 9:30pm local, 7 days a week.

you got it. USDA during posted hours is the easiest, assuming the ports of entry with airline service (SJU, BQN, PSE). I wouldn't call transiting through SJU "free" though. The FBO stop is probably steep there. But from a convenience perspective I agree it's probably the most straight forward way of running your stuff through the USDA screener.

The Arrow didn't have the range to do it non-stop, so technically I had an international tech stop. As such the USDA step pre-departure wasn't required, but CBP trifled through my ish on arrival (as is their clown ways). The BQN folks were ridiculous, the KFPR guys by comparison were straight apathetic about it. It's all placebo anyways.

At any rate, @Wrench978 has done it non-stop with tip tanks in his old school Beech F35. He can probably speak to how he does the USDA thing when attempting the PR-FL leg non-stop.

SJU is actually the cheapest place to park within about a 90 minute drive of San Juan.

Parking at TJIG is actually 2x the cost.

Only if going non stop from TJSJ to a us destination. If you need to stop for fuel along the way, you will need a customs inspection upon arriving is US anyway. Then they can call Agriculture at your destination if warranted.

Only if going non stop from TJSJ to a us destination. If you need to stop for fuel along the way, you will need a customs inspection upon arriving is US anyway. Then they can call Agriculture at your destination if warranted.
Yep. We'll be non-stop.

Back