Propeller Life Lilmits and Mandatory Inspections

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
Hartzell propeller HC-E2YR-1 has a note at the bottom of the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) 9PEC as follows:

NOTE 11
Retirement Time
(a) Life Limits and Mandatory Inspections
(1) Airworthiness limitations, if any, are specified in Hartzell Manuals 113( ), 117( ) or Service Letter 61( ).

What this means is the Service Letter 61 or manual 113 becomes mandatory. You may want to point this out to your mechanic or pilot as the case may be at or before your next annual inspection.

Stache

Stache said:
Hartzell propeller HC-E2YR-1 has a note at the bottom of the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) 9PEC as follows:

NOTE 11
Retirement Time
(a) Life Limits and Mandatory Inspections
(1) Airworthiness limitations, if any, are specified in Hartzell Manuals 113( ), 117( ) or Service Letter 61( ).

What this means is the Service Letter 61 or manual 113 becomes mandatory. You may want to point this out to your mechanic or pilot as the case may be at or before your next annual inspection.

Stache
Whew. Not me. What sort of propellor is this one, Stache?

This propeller could go on many different aircraft.

I have been looking at many propeller TCDS's and this one stood out. Needless to say has been on the TCDS since 2002. With the recent propeller failures due to enigne crankshaft fland breakage I am sure the propeller manufactures are on edge.

Stache

It covers a number of props - basically any props on that Type Certificate (P9EA). It looks like it covers: HC-E2YR, HC-E2YL, HC-E2YF, HC-E2YK... used on a variety of engines ranging from LYC 320, 260 and 540 series.

For my prop, it was added at a point subsequent to my last overhaul. Hartzell also, apparently, thinks that a 90-day extension can be "OK", but doesn't authorize it - it tells you that you must get that from the FAA.

Since this has "stuck" and the FAA has accepted it, I think it's only a matter of time before other manufacturers add similar language to their TCs (think engine manufacturers). And SL's don't require the same standard of approval as TC's do, so manufacturers can change 'em at whim.

This one slipped in without notice from AOPA. My bet is that a LOT of folks are flying with props that are not airworthy per the TC.

wsuffa said:
It covers a number of props - basically any props on that Type Certificate (P9EA). It looks like it covers: HC-E2YR, HC-E2YL, HC-E2YF, HC-E2YK... used on a variety of engines ranging from LYC 320, 260 and 540 series.

For my prop, it was added at a point subsequent to my last overhaul. Hartzell also, apparently, thinks that a 90-day extension can be "OK", but doesn't authorize it - it tells you that you must get that from the FAA.

Since this has "stuck" and the FAA has accepted it, I think it's only a matter of time before other manufacturers add similar language to their TCs (think engine manufacturers). And SL's don't require the same standard of approval as TC's do, so manufacturers can change 'em at whim.

This one slipped in without notice from AOPA. My bet is that a LOT of folks are flying with props that are not airworthy per the TC.

Is this a new TC on a new prop or a old one? If it's old (sounds like it) was the unusual language in from the original approval? I was under the impression that changing a TC required an AD like process.

lancefisher said:
Is this a new TC on a new prop or a old one? If it's old (sounds like it) was the unusual language in from the original approval? I was under the impression that changing a TC required an AD like process.

Old prop. In fact, the TC change was made since my last prop overhaul 6 years ago (per SL-61, I have a 6 year or 2000 hour TBO, whichever comes first).

It's easier to change a TC than issue an AD. And much, much easire to change a Service Letter. In fact, it's done all the time when new models are added to a type certificate. It looks like Hartzell has added similar language to other TCs.

This is "legal" but I wonder if it is an abuse of the intent of the TC process. Maybe not, but with most Hartzell props having a 5-year or 6-year TBO, (and with most props requiring blade replacement after every 2-3 overhauls), this will get expensive... very fast.

OTOH, I also suspect that the FAA is encouraging this behavior with their push for manufacturers to include "Instructions for Continued Airworthiness" in all STCs.

I spoke both to the local FSDO today and to Hartzell. The FSDO inspector said he "cannot issue any extension, that has to come from the manufacturer". Hartzell said "our position is that any extension has to come from the FAA".

The FAA inspector also said that he would have to look at the data, then mail it to Hartzell with a recommendation, which would then have to be issued by them if they felt it was OK. He said it would take "weeks or more" to do.

After I pointed out to Hartzell that SL-61 allows for a 100 hour/3 month extension (which the woman at Hartzell was aware of), she agreed to look at the situation and "kick it upstairs". It didn't hurt that I also pointed out that there are STCs for other brands of prop....

So, I'm hamstrung in the middle... with the plane grounded after tomorrow.

Update: Hartzell called the FSDO, who in turn left a message for me. It's back in their hands.

At the same time, I discovered that Hartzell has a SB that applies to all Y-Shank propellors. Under that SB, you can order a replacement prop by 5/31 for a 40% discount, or you can get the hub for a 50% discount (but only if you order by 5/31 or you comply with the time limits in SB-61).

Since my prop was reduced to the minimum allowable at last OH, I expect the blades to need replacement. Therefore, ordering a replacement prop is actually as good a deal as I will get.

I'll still need the waiver from the FSDO/Hartzell to allow me to keep using the plane so I can do the prop on a swap-out basis, so this can save time and money.

Humm............

I got a letter from the manufacturer of my dry vacumm pump. I am sure Y'all got em too.

"Thou shall not fly IFR without a back up pump"

How long untill this becomes mandatory???????????????????

I think pumps are just PMA'd, unless there is an STC involved. There is no reason that a pump with an STC can't include that kind of language.

It would hurt marketing, though.

The pumps do NOT have a type certificate data sheet (TCDS). The pumps are accessories. Any life limits by the manufacture are recommendations only unless they are on an AD or in the life limit section of the approved maintenance manual by part number.

Stache

Back