Previously Reported, No Change - AME Action

Jsybird

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jsybird
Brief question:

If there's a disqualifying condition or medication under question 17 or 18 that isn't directly mentioned in the FAA's letter to the pilot upon the issuance of a past valid medical after a deferral, but they note "PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE" on the Medxpress form, is the AME required to issue the medical certificate?

Example: Pilot has a history of suicidal attempt/ideation, or previously had asthma or other respiratory problems, or was cleared after a fainting/unconsciousness spell, but the previous medical issuance letter does not mention one or more of these conditions by name, and it's not an SI. Pilot goes for a medical exam, brings the letter and their medical file, notes PRNC for all of these fields on the form and there is nothing new otherwise to report, does the decision get deferred to OKC?

Last edited:
Brief question:

If there's a disqualifying condition or medication under question 17 or 18 that isn't directly mentioned in the FAA's letter to the pilot upon the issuance of a past valid medical after a deferral, but they note "PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE" on the Medxpress form, is the AME required to issue the medical certificate?

Example: Pilot has a history of suicidal attempt/ideation, or previously had asthma or other respiratory problems, or was cleared after a fainting/unconsciousness spell, but the previous medical issuance letter does not mention one or more of these conditions by name, and it's not an SI. Pilot goes for a medical exam, brings the letter and their medical file, notes PRNC for all of these fields on the form and there is nothing new otherwise to report, does the decision get deferred to OKC?
I don't think an AME is ever required to do anything. But assuming that the condition was actually PRNC, and you go to the same AME, I'd expect him to look in his files and do what he did last time.

I've got two other questions actually...

Before I ask them: Looking further at the letter of issuance, there is an additional paragraph in bold given I received this second class medical well over a year after I applied for it. I never bothered to upgrade yet in accordance with the below as I don't yet have a commercial certificate I can exercise privileges under.

"In order to obtain a second-class airman medical certificate, it will be necessary for you to undergo a current second-class physical examination by a designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). The AME is authorized by this letter to issue you a second-class airman medical certificate provided you are found to be otherwise qualified."

Again, some of the previous conditions/yes answers aren't noted in this letter. They do however note, "The available medical evidence reveals an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of: (item list including some, but not all items checked/annotated on original medxpress)."

Anyway, here are the questions:

1. With that letter in mind, would the AME be able to issue on-site at their prerogative, assuming the application is not for a first class medical?

2. Here's something different for this forum...I am actually an off the street FAA ATCS candidate at the moment as well. Given that FAA agency medical files contain both ATCS and airman medical records and the standards for both certificates are similar, could this same letter and medical file actually be used to expedite the process there during hiring/pre-qualification or is a separate review required for that to your understanding? Alternatively, could going for an ATCS pre-employment exam cause my airman file to be reflagged for further renewed scrutiny on the piloting side, ie: if there is nothing new since the original AME exam for the second class medical worth flagging over, could it cause double jeopardy for this seemingly done/resolved airman medical case history? I'm asking here as I know there are a bunch of rather smart AMEs on this forum who know how the FAA works internally.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back