Preventive Maintenance Training

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
Is training required for an aircraft owner with a PPL to legally perform any of the preventive maintenance items described in Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance (C)?

You have to get a private pilot certificate. A sport pilot certificate is not adequate unless the aircraft has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

If you think you may need training, then you probably shouldn’t do it.

Is training required for an aircraft owner with a PPL to legally perform any of the preventive maintenance items described in Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance (C)?
Technically, no on training. But not advisable if you have never performed a preventive mx task before. However, there are certain limits, rules, and processes you must know and understand, before you attempt any preventive mx task.

Fixed that for you.
Nah. If you can’t figure out on your own if you need training to do the things allowed, you’re probably not the right type of person to be doing it.

Technically, no on training. But not advisable if you have never performed a preventive mx task before. However, there are certain limits, rules, and processes you must know and understand, before you attempt any preventive mx task.

That is my thought as well. That said, I attended a local EAA chapter meeting a year or two ago and the local FSDO FAAST Program Manger gave a presentation on Owner Performed Preventative Maintenance. In that presentation he said before an owner could perform any task listed in Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance (C), they must have received training for that task.

After the presentation I asked for clarification as I had not heard of that requirement and didn't see that requirement in Part 43 or any of the previous FAA AC's or publications I had read. He referred me to 65.81 General privileges and limitations (a). I gently pushed back as 65.81 was dealing with "certificated mechanic" and as such I didn't believe that was applicable. He still disagreed...

There’s no regulation requiring specific training, but as @Bell206 mentions, there are many regs related to how maintenance must be performed and logged, regs about permissible parts and materials, advisory circulars concerning approved methods, etc. Whether you’re an A&P or a PPL, you’re on the hook to comply with the FAA’s maintenance rules.

It’s not as simple as walking into AutoZone and grabbing a set of brake pads to slap on your F150. There’s a lot you need to learn and some documentation you must have available (like your plane’s maintenance manual). You can find many articles, books, videos, etc., and you should expect to put in some time studying.

Owner Assisted Aircraft Maintenance by Dan MacDonald is a good book to start with. You may also want to get the Light Plane Maintenance Library. It’s out of print but you can find used copies. The EAA has a DVD on preventive maintenance that’s helpful though a bit Cessna specific.

Do some homework before you pick up a wrench.

He referred me to 65.81 General privileges and limitations (a). I gently pushed back as 65.81 was dealing with "certificated mechanic" and as such I didn't believe that was applicable. He still disagreed...
I’ve heard of that before. Its purely his opinion, but I believe it was meant in a positive way.

Regardless, in general, aircraft maintenance tasks are “classified” into different groups.

There are tasks that do not “raise up to the level” or are not defined as preventive mx or maintenance which include cleaning, refueling, giving opinions and so on. Those items require no training/experience or record entry.

Next are preventive mx tasks which are defined by Part 1 and Part 43, require a minimum of a PPC and a record entry, but no prior experience or training. Part 65 does not apply.

Maintenance tasks on the other hand are defined as: inspection, overhaul, repair, preservation, and the replacement of parts, but excludes preventive maintenance. Alterations and rebuilding are also separately included at this level. Part 65 prior experience or proven ability is in play as well as a number of other FARs, requires an A and/or P or repairman certificates, and all maintenance requires a record entry.

Fortunately, there is plenty of guidance on several levels that can assist in navigating this topic. But I wouldn't be "gentle" next time and insist on a reference or his "professional" opinion on why Part 65 is applicable to a PPC performing preventive mx per Part 43.

But I wouldn't be "gentle" next time and insist on a reference or his "professional" opinion on why Part 65 is applicable to a PPC performing preventive mx per Part 43.
By "gently" I meant I tried not to be confrontational. I did point out that 65.81 was for mechanics and it even said so. I also asked him if his position was correct, what was the mechanism to prove and/or document I had received training on a particular task? He didn't have an answer for that, but he wouldn't budge. I didn't feel it was worth further discussion and I didn't want to become memorable so I thanked him and moved on.

Back