Pre flight checking Dual Garmin GPS setup

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
My Navion has a GTN 650 xi and a GNX 375 plus a Aspen 2000 Pro Max displays. If others have a similar setup I am curious as to how do you preflight the databases and connectivity of each GPS to the Aspen PFD? After the avionics is all powered up and running I go through the checks on the 650 hitting continue and I see the half left half up indications on the PFD and the TO flag and the 150 deg course. Then I hit continue again and the 650 is ready to go. As I cycle through the CDI source with the PFD middle button I see GPS1, and VLOC1 and 2 with red slashes and I see GPS2 with a red slash. So that all looks good. Then I go through the same steps on the 375. I see the same half up and left on the PFD and now I see GPS1 with a red slash, VLOC1&2 with Slashes. After I do the last continue on the 375 the PFD has GPS1 slashed and GPS2 is not slashed. Sometimes GPS1 is no longer even listed as a source. So my question is what’s the quickest way to get GPS 1 (the 650) to come back as valid without the slash. Do I turn off the 375? Should I check the 375 before I check the 650 so it’s the last one? Usually I have to load up my flight plan and activate it on the 650 before GPS1 shows up as a valid PFD source.
How do others with a similar setup do their preflight checks (assuming you do check both GPS receivers before flight).

Thanks
Leo

Leave the 650 and 375 in instrument panel self test and both should show a valid and available. If you hit continue on the GPS, at first it won’t even have position. Once it gets position it won’t have a flight plan, so nothing for the Aspen to show. The VLOC item(s) will show as invalid when the GPS is in the Instrument Panel Self Test screen.

Leave the 650 and 375 in instrument panel self test and both should show a valid and available. If you hit continue on the GPS, at first it won’t even have position. Once it gets position it won’t have a flight plan, so nothing for the Aspen to show. The VLOC item(s) will show as invalid when the GPS is in the Instrument Panel Self Test screen.
Thx for the response. I will try that next flight.

Back