Potomac Airfield VKX

MFF25

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MFF25
Does anyone have experience training at VKX? I am about to restart my flight training. When I originally started, I did one lesson at GT Aviation, but since then they have come under new ownership and the prices have gone up. Before the price hike it was worth dealing with the FRZ, but with the new pricing they are on par with flight schools located outside the FRZ. My main concern is that you cannot do pattern work at VKX, so you have to take time to transit to Maryland Airport (2W5). For people who have trained in the FRZ, did you require extra hours to complete your training due to this? HJ Aviation is still advertising good rates so if anyone has any experience there, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have experience training at VKX? I am about to restart my flight training. When I originally started, I did one lesson at GT Aviation, but since then they have come under new ownership and the prices have gone up. Before the price hike it was worth dealing with the FRZ, but with the new pricing they are on par with flight schools located outside the FRZ. My main concern is that you cannot do pattern work at VKX, so you have to take time to transit to Maryland Airport (2W5). For people who have trained in the FRZ, did you require extra hours to complete your training due to this? HJ Aviation is still advertising good rates so if anyone has any experience there, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for the help!
I can’t speak to the new flight school that bought out GT aviation, but flying to 2W5 to do pattern work is not a huge deal; it’s 11nm away. Folks burn the equivalent Hobbs time waiting in queue for takeoff. In the DC area, Airport convenience is a big issue; if you have to travel across town to train you might never finish your training.

As far as prices, inflation has caused everything to go up in price. As far as HJ, I have no personal experience with them either but I’ve never heard anything bad about them. They’re a pretty simple operation; give ‘em a call, go out to the field and take a lesson and see for yourself.

I can’t speak to the new flight school that bought out GT aviation, but flying to 2W5 to do pattern work is not a huge deal; it’s 11nm away. Folks burn the equivalent Hobbs time waiting in queue for takeoff. In the DC area, Airport convenience is a big issue; if you have to travel across town to train you might never finish your training.

As far as prices, inflation has caused everything to go up in price. As far as HJ, I have no personal experience with them either but I’ve never heard anything bad about them. They’re a pretty simple operation; give ‘em a call, go out to the field and take a lesson and see for yourself.
Thank you for the info! Your point about burning hours at a busy airport waiting to takeoff is a good one. I agree on the airport convenience, nothing is close to where I live, and when you add in traffic finding the time for the lesson and travel time is going to be difficult.

I was based at VKX before moving West (before the the FRZ). I did my tailwheel endorsement there. I like the airport, and the FRZ is not really a big deal once you jump through the hoops. 2W5 is very close, and the savings in time waiting in line for takeoff elsewhere is a good tradeoff.

Also, I don't know about the price increases, but I do know Aero Elite that bought GT. My son recently got his PPL with them at JYO. They are a very good organization, and I recommend them regularly.

I was based at VKX before moving West (before the the FRZ). I did my tailwheel endorsement there. I like the airport, and the FRZ is not really a big deal once you jump through the hoops. 2W5 is very close, and the savings in time waiting in line for takeoff elsewhere is a good tradeoff.

Also, I don't know about the price increases, but I do know Aero Elite that bought GT. My son recently got his PPL with them at JYO. They are a very good organization, and I recommend them regularly.
Thank you for the reply. I don't blame Aero Elite for the price hike, they were probably long overdue. From everything I have heard they are a very good operation. In my initial research I figured dealing with the FRZ was worth it to get the great prices that GT aviation was offering before, but now that it will cost me roughly the same amount as flying out of an airport not in the FRZ it is a much more difficult question to answer. However, it sounds like my concerns may be unfounded and flying from a uncongested airport has other advantages that I was not considering.

I left Leesburg to go somewhere quiet one time so I thought Winchester would be good

Got there and it’s busier than leesburg with students from….Leesburg!

Five or six minutes from Potomac to the other airport is definitely quicker than Leesburg to Winchester

I originally trained at Lee near Annapolis and college park but that was before the restrictions

Gaithersburg always seems to have many people lined up to take off.

Not sure there’s any airport near dc that isn’t busy. You’d probably need to go a good distance to avoid it. Cambridge comes to mind. Since the restaurant closed even weekends are slow

Anyway, good luck!

Back