PoA Airventure Compound

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, I've now had a night of sleeping in my own bed, after eight nights of sleeping on the air mattress. It was fabulous! On Saturday we got to talking about how to do the next Airventure. Presuming we don't own a plane by then, we intend to do the Camp Scholler compound again, only BETTER.

• We'll get at least three campsites (we had four this year) and ask people to contribute to the cost based on the time they're there.
  • We discussed having one of the RV's dropped off to provide more cooking area and a refuge from the rain/heat. Whomever cooks breakfast gets to sleep in the RV that night.
  • We'll try to get a campsite a little closer to the showers so we have WiFi.
  • We'll be close to the end of a row so we're near the port-a-potties.
Food

• We will delegate out some of the food prep work so Leslie doesn't have to do the majority of it again.
  • We'll have a tip jar to help pay for some of the food.
  • Most food will be purchased at the local Pick-n-Save. It has a good selection, and everything will be fresher.
  • Breakfast preparation will rotate among the attendees
  • We'll keep the food coolers outside our tent so people don't have a problem getting to it in the morning when making breakfast.

Amenities

• We'll do a campfire for ambiance and doing toasted marshmallows and popcorn. (This year it would have been used for heat as well!)
  • Missa's Mom Dian will be doing up a PoA flag that we can fly at the campground to identify it.
It would be great if we could do it in the North 40 or in Vintage, but I don't think they allow people without planes to camp there. So if we do get a plane, Leslie and I will probably need to have one of us fly up and the other drive (like Greg and Sharon did this year). All the stuff we had wouldn't fit in a small plane, anyway!

Thanks to all those who came to the compound last week! It was really lonely on Sunday until Pete came by. And thanks to those who helped pitch in with labor and/or funds!

BTW, our menu for the week included:

• homemade blueberry pancakes
  • California grilled cheese sandwiches with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives
  • barbecued Peking duck wraps
  • Orange Herb Salmon
  • Goat cheese quesadillas with tomato and corn salsa and grilled shrimp
  • vegetable couscous
  • cucumber salad
  • Mediterranean breakfast wrap
  • vegetarian chili
  • jambalaya
  • four-bean baked beans
  • french toast
  • Mediterranean scrambled eggs
  • and a few other things.
For those who were asking, the cookbook Leslie was using for many of the recipes is:
Campfire Cuisine: Gourmet Recipes for the Great Outdoors by Robin Donovan.

Now if you can only figure out how to move that wonderful (and delectable-sounding) compound onto the airport in the North 40 next year, you will have really scored! Time to buy that plane, Grant!

:smile:

Don't get me wrong, Camp Scholler is cool -- heck, camping with friends is ALWAYS fun -- but we can car-camp anywhere in the country. Camping beside the plane is where it's at when you're at AirVenture...

And don't think it can't be done. The "Women Fly" group has blenders, grills, and some pretty fabulous food out in the N40. They rent a storage unit in OSH and keep all their stuff in it from year to year, making it possible (with the help of some local car-transport and volunteer manpower) to move all that stuff out into the North 40. Logistics always wins the war!

:)

Mary and I would be willing to help make that happen. We're talking about renting a storage unit up there, just for all of our camping gear plus all the stuff for our Wednesday night party.

Now if you can only figure out how to move that wonderful (and delectable-sounding) compound onto the airport in the North 40 next year, you will have really scored! Time to buy that plane, Grant!

And reserve a parking space and permit for us commuters.

The advantage of Camp Scholler is that all the people who drive in for a day or two can stay in the compound. I don't know if that'll be possible in the North 40. Plus, where can you leave your ground vehicles?

The advantage of Camp Scholler is that all the people who drive in for a day or two can stay in the compound. I don't know if that'll be possible in the North 40. Plus, where can you leave your ground vehicles?

Parking off the North 40 is easy. I had a friend's car at my disposal all week long, and left it parked in the Friar Tuck's/Super 8 lot all week, just through the North gate in the N40. No troubles there.

My son drove up for a couple of nights, and parked in the Hardee's lot, just across the street from the NW gate (the one by our site) in the N40. Again, no troubles.

Another option: That entire shopping mall right behind Hardee's is nearly empty, so parking over there would work, too. There were quite a few motor homes there.

These are just some of my thoughts. Scholler is a fine place -- I had many friends staying there this year (mostly guys who have lost their medicals, sadly) and enjoyed sitting in their (dry) motor home (in a LazyBoy chair, no less!) whilst sipping beer and eating cashews...

Speaking of which, I gained 6 pounds at OSH. No more 6K calorie days for this guy!

:nonod:

In the North 40 you see airplanes coming in and out all day. It is that for which I come to Oshkosh. I wish I could have hooked up with Jay's group as well as the Scholler bunch, makes the whole thing that much better. Yes, non airplane people can camp there, just don't want to make it too obvious. I've never put the ID thing on my tent and no one has ever checked. Lots of parking off the airport, and plenty of people have grills and all sorts of things. No camp fires, a few too many aircraft for that. We've got enough aircraft to make quite a compound if we can coordinate a bit. Jay already has a huge head start with that.

All that said, I had such a good time with good company that I will happily go to wherever the POA people are at Osh next year.

Parking off the North 40 is easy. I had a friend's car at my disposal all week long, and left it parked in the Friar Tuck's/Super 8 lot all week, just through the North gate in the N40. No troubles there.

My son drove up for a couple of nights, and parked in the Hardee's lot, just across the street from the NW gate (the one by our site) in the N40. Again, no troubles.

Another option: That entire shopping mall right behind Hardee's is nearly empty, so parking over there would work, too. There were quite a few motor homes there.

These are just some of my thoughts. Scholler is a fine place -- I had many friends staying there this year (mostly guys who have lost their medicals, sadly) and enjoyed sitting in their (dry) motor home (in a LazyBoy chair, no less!) whilst sipping beer and eating cashews...

Good to know. Hopefully we'll have a plane, but I'm not holding my breath. Can we camp by you if we don't?:dunno:

Speaking of which, I gained 6 pounds at OSH. No more 6K calorie days for this guy!

:nonod:
Leslie's cooking was not only delicious, but healthy, too! No weight gain for me!:D

Good to know. Hopefully we'll have a plane, but I'm not holding my breath. Can we camp by you if we don't?:dunno:

It would be the honor of the Free Bird crew.

Leslie's cooking was not only delicious, but healthy, too! No weight gain for me!:D

A surprise, given the wonderful flavor of what I ate. I could have gained pounds quite easily eating food of this kind.

As part of the women fly group I can tell you that we have about 35 in our group and had 10 planes and perhaps 25 tents. We rent a storage unit and keep all the group stuff in there as well of a lot of the tents and personal things. It really makes thinks much better then having to fly it all in or even drive it in. We have access to a flat bed trailer that we use to load up all the stuff from the 10 x 10 storage unit. I will say that having a fire pit would have been very nice this year. At one point they were calling for 1 inch hail in the area and all we could think was that it would be the end of airplane insurance as we know it if a major hail storm hit the airport with billions of dollars worth of planes parked on it.

I am told that a tornado once hit the show and caused quite a bit of damage, but have no first hand knowledge of the event.

Don't remember a tornado, but there have been a few bad storms in years past that have flipped a few un-tied-down aircraft into each other. That's why that rule exists now. I always check to make sure my neighbors are tied down for that exact reason. (there are always a few who think they are the exception to the rule...although the A380 probably gets a pass...)

<g> quite the menu there guys.

Would never have guessed you were camping with a menu like that.

BTW, our menu for the week included:

• homemade blueberry pancakes
  • California grilled cheese sandwiches with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives
  • barbecued Peking duck wraps
  • Orange Herb Salmon
  • Goat cheese quesadillas with tomato and corn salsa and grilled shrimp
  • vegetable couscous
  • cucumber salad
  • Mediterranean breakfast wrap
  • vegetarian chili
  • jambalaya
  • four-bean baked beans
  • french toast
  • Mediterranean scrambled eggs
  • and a few other things.

It sure didn't feel like camping, I'll tell you that much!

Thanks for the title, I just ordered the book and looking forward to trying some of the dishes out. Beth and I do wish we had found ya'll. Next year I'll have to get our names/numbers on Tim's contact list

Back