Places to rent a plane in the Michigan thumb?

e.pie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
e.pie
Looking to rent a plane to take some family on a ride around the holidays. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hi,

My recommendation would be Solo Aviation in Ann Arbor.

Cheers,

Oliver

http://www.stclaircounty.org/offices/airport/fbo_services.aspx

I don't know what their rental policy is, but depending on where in the thumb you are, this isn't a bad bet.

If you're up north, maybe:

HURON COUNTY MEM AIRPORT
352 THOMPSON ROAD
BAD AXE, MI 48413
Phone: 989-269-6511
Fax: 989-269-6349

I knew the manager of the Sandusky Airport in a previous life, but I'm not sure they do rentals.

I'll be about smack dab in the middle of the thumb in Yale, about 20 miles west of Port Huron.

I'd like to keep the drive down to a hour or so, but a little further isn't the end of the world.

I'll be about smack dab in the middle of the thumb in Yale, about 20 miles west of Port Huron.

I'd like to keep the drive down to a hour or so, but a little further isn't the end of the world.
KPHN. I'll send details by PM.

PHN is definitely your best bet if you can work it out with the contact I gave you. If not, a couple of "Plan B"s:

76G is further but a sure thing AND their rental rates are quite low for the area.

77G (Marlette) is about the same distance as PHN, but I'm not sure if there are any rentals there. Contact Jay Burton (google Burton Aviation).

Sorry to keep jumping on your thread. I miss my home =(

I've had some good experiences with Marine City Aviation too if it doesn't work out at PHN. 3000' runway is a tad difficult to spot depending on how you approach, but the folks are great, and they have some nice airplanes and an owner who has some pretty cool stories =)

Sorry to keep jumping on your thread. I miss my home =(

I've had some good experiences with Marine City Aviation too if it doesn't work out at PHN. 3000' runway is a tad difficult to spot depending on how you approach, but the folks are great, and they have some nice airplanes and an owner who has some pretty cool stories =)

Marine City is plenty close and it looks like they have a pretty nice fleet, I shot them an email asking what I need to do to rent them. :)

I miss home too, I grew up in Yale.

edit:
Post 172 woo!

Marine City is plenty close and it looks like they have a pretty nice fleet, I shot them an email asking what I need to do to rent them. :)

I miss home too, I grew up in Yale.

edit:
Post 172 woo!

Tell them the guy in 7644G sent you. Then they'll tell you the stupid thing I did on their runway...

You'll need a checkout but they are pretty easy going once you demonstrate that you're a competent pilot. As I said, their rental rates are pretty low... last I checked (summer 2012), you could still rent 739RX ('78 C172) for <$100. 386ES is a newer model 'hawk and of course costs more.

It's a very nice mom and pop operation. I finished my private there and still have fond memories of the place.

Last edited:
MichiganMitten.jpg

They even make shaped-like-a-mitten oven mitts with a matching UP version.

MichiganMitten.jpg

They even make shaped-like-a-mitten oven mitts with a matching UP version.

As an out of stater going to school in Michigan, you don't know how nice this is. Someone tells you, "I'm from Somethingorother Township," and because you have no clue where that is, you just put up your hand and they can point. So convenient!

Back