PIREP Needed - KC area

MtPJimB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RVFlyboy
I'm in the process of possibly moving to the Kansas city area in the not too distant future. I'm interested in learning more about the GA community in this area. Any info on best GA airports in the area, also interested in any possibility of airpark living in the vicinity, or other towns or neighborhoods that are convenient to GA accessibility. Sure appreciate all input.

I'm out here, and there are a number of other board members out this way, too.

There are several GA airports in and around the city - depends on what you are looking for, and the part of town you want to live. KC is pretty spread out, so you can shorten your drive-time considerably by taking that into account.

There are a couple of airparks in the general area, too, but I haven't looked seriously enough at them to see if there are any openings.
What part of town would you be working?

Like Matthew, I'm also in the Kansas City area and would be more than willing to help. There are quite a few very active and user friendly GA airports in the area. Like Matthew said, it all depends on where you will be working and where you might want to live. I know of at least one airpark that is really nice, but again, it depends on how far you want to commute. Hangars aren't extremely plentiful, but there are "ways". The Kansas City downtown airport currently has large T-hangars available for $400 per month. That's a little pricey for this area but the facilities are the best I've seen. The low side for a hangar is in the $200-$250 range. Feel free to drop me an email and I'll give you my cell number. I've lived a LOT of places and the K.C. area is right at the top for lots of reasons. Email: jimbordoni@hotmail.com

Thanks for the quick replies. I'd be working downtown in the Power and Light district. My wife and I will be in the area next weekend and are working with a realtor set up by the company recruiting me to get a feel for the area. Jim, I will drop you an email with my contact info too. Appreciate any more insight you or others have.

I know a guy who lives in that part of town - and belongs to a flying club at the downtown airport. Kind of depends on if you want to live in the city or in the 'burbs. Kids and school districts WILL come into play with that decision. You can PM me, too, if you'd like.

I'm in the process of possibly moving to the Kansas city area in the not too distant future. I'm interested in learning more about the GA community in this area. Any info on best GA airports in the area, also interested in any possibility of airpark living in the vicinity, or other towns or neighborhoods that are convenient to GA accessibility. Sure appreciate all input.

A lot of it's going to depend on how far you are willing to commute and whether you have/plan to have kids. Traffic isn't really that bad in the KC metro area. Avoid the Kansas City Missouri school district at all costs.

Kansas City Downtown (KMKC) would be about 5-10 min. away from where you're working. I've always felt the FBOs there didn't care much for the small GA set, but the City did put in self-serve fuel a while back so you don't have to get dinged by Signature.

Lee's Summit (KLXT) is a nice city-operated airport. Good people around there, too. Good schools and a nice suburban city. Depending on timing and exactly where in Lee's Summit you might be, it's maybe a 25-35 minute commute to downtown.

East Kansas City Airport (3GV) in Grain Valley is a neat little privately-owned public use airport. Really good folks there. Unless they've changed, you have to buy your hangar space there, but people used to sublet hangar space, too. Grain Valley is a pretty small bedroom town, but just to the west is Blue Springs, and it's a nice suburb with good schools like Lee's Summit. It would be another 10 or so minute further commute than Lee's Summit.

I can't comment much on the Kansas side, I hung out on the Missouri side when I lived there. There are nice places in the Northland which is on the Missouri side, north of the Missouri River.

What do you guys think of Johnson Co airport? I am going to be flying in and out of there a lot this coming year.

Its a good place. Never seemed to busy when I was there. I did my private and commercial there. 2 FBO's, neither of which are bad. Really nice place, easy to get in and out of.

What do you guys think of Johnson Co airport? I am going to be flying in and out of there a lot this coming year.

I think it's fine, but I never spent much time there either. Airport choice around the KC metro area probably depends more on where your business destination is in town and what kind of FBO fees you want to pay more than anything else.

That's my airport, got my PP there and still rent there - 2 FBO's, one on each side of the field. Class D, inside the 30-NM mode-C veil of MCI. No big deal, unless you head north, then you'll be in Class-B pretty quickly. It's pretty busy with charters at the beginning and end of the week, and with students and everyone else the rest of the time. It can be pretty busy at times, but the tower keeps things well under control. Not the place if you're looking for old-timers sitting in the shade admiring tail-draggers.

That's my airport, got my PP there and still rent there - 2 FBO's, one on each side of the field. Class D, inside the 30-NM mode-C veil of MCI. No big deal, unless you head north, then you'll be in Class-B pretty quickly. It's pretty busy with charters at the beginning and end of the week, and with students and everyone else the rest of the time. It can be pretty busy at times, but the tower keeps things well under control. Not the place if you're looking for old-timers sitting in the shade admiring tail-draggers.
Glad to hear it is so small-GA Friendly. I have come into the KC area before but used the downtown airport. But Johnson Exec is close to the company I work for so I will be using them to come visit the home office.

Glad to hear it is so small-GA Friendly. I have come into the KC area before but used the downtown airport. But Johnson Exec is close to the company I work for so I will be using them to come visit the home office.

Depending on where you're going in Johnson County, New Century (KIXD) would be worth looking at too.

Keep me posted on your schedule - I'm rarely more than 20 minutes away.

I buy auto gas at Gardner muni sometimes. It's small, simple and out of the way. Quite far SW from downtown but the area is real nice. Don't know anything about the FBO except they are very accomodating to transient pilots.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'd be working downtown in the Power and Light district. My wife and I will be in the area next weekend and are working with a realtor set up by the company recruiting me to get a feel for the area. Jim, I will drop you an email with my contact info too. Appreciate any more insight you or others have.

Drop me an email and I'll give you my cell number. If you have time I'd be happy to fly you to the area airports in my airplane. You can get your own feel of what works for you. Lots of good choices. Nothing is more than 30 minutes drive to the P&L district. I think I left my liver at the P&L following the Big 12 championship game. :cheerswine:

Plus, between Pa28-140 and I, we could recommend some lunchtime meeting places!

Plus, between Pa28-140 and I, we could recommend some lunchtime meeting places!

Fly to KMKC, go to Garrozzo's at 5th & Harrison in Columbus Park, have seafood lasagna for lunch on Friday.

Leave happy, as some lesser restaurant chain claims...

I was based in KC for 35 years. If you own a plane, check property tax differences between KS & MO.

Any of a number of suburban airports is going to be a much better fit for light GA than downtown (MKC) for numerous reasons.

I was based in KC for 35 years. If you own a plane, check property tax differences between KS & MO.

You used to be able to shuttle stuff to KCK before 12/31 each year and dodge Jackson/Clay county property tax. We used to joke that the only time Wyandotte County, KS ever saw construction equipment was in the last week of December. Someone got smart and put the kibosh on that a while back, though.

Any of a number of suburban airports is going to be a much better fit for light GA than downtown (MKC) for numerous reasons.
Some things never change...

Up until recently I would have agreed with you but the downtown airport (MKC) has come a long way towards being general aviation friendly. The longtime Executive Beechcraft owner had a death lock on that airport until recently. Not so anymore. New hangars, improved runways and taxiways, and reasonably priced fuel are some of the big draws. The management (which I'm not part of) is trying really hard to make MKC a GA friendly airport. The new GA pilot lounge is the nicest I have ever seen and worth a visit. Fuel prices at the self serve are comparable to the lowest in the area. If your business or entertainment is downtown, you are only a stones throw away (literally). Stay away from Signature aviation, park on the west side near Hangar 6B at the base of the tower, and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Well, it's now official that I will be moving to the KC area. I appreciate all of the input and I'm excited about the opportunity. I'm looking forward to exploring new territory flying. And Gordon, I am going to take you up on that flight - sorry the weather did not cooperate last weekend.

...Bump...

Hello everyone. I too am moving to the area (Fort Leavenworth) with CFI, CFII and MEI...very low time. Can anyone give me a run down of the airports around there and if there is any freelance or part-time opportunities?

Thanks a lot!

Jason

...Bump...

Hello everyone. I too am moving to the area (Fort Leavenworth) with CFI, CFII and MEI...very low time. Can anyone give me a run down of the airports around there and if there is any freelance or part-time opportunities?

Thanks a lot!

Jason

I used to live in Ft Leavenworth. FLV is the local field. Since I'm all the way at the opposite end of the KC area, I don't know how much help I can be. Atchison and St Joe won't be too far away from you. On weekends I can always hear a lot of radio chatter from Roosterville, so that may be some place to check out. I *think* there is a part 141 school at Midwest National (KGPH) http://careerpilotschool.com/about-career-pilot-school/location.

I used to live in Ft Leavenworth. FLV is the local field. Since I'm all the way at the opposite end of the KC area, I don't know how much help I can be. Atchison and St Joe won't be too far away from you. On weekends I can always hear a lot of radio chatter from Roosterville, so that may be some place to check out. I *think* there is a part 141 school at Midwest National (KGPH) http://careerpilotschool.com/about-career-pilot-school/location.

I dropped off resumes at all of the places you mentioned. Thanks for the tips.

I've heard that FLV is back open now. I guess the floods closed it for most of the summer.

I've heard that FLV is back open now. I guess the floods closed it for most of the summer.

Correct but for day VFR only. It took and passed a "thump test" a couple weeks ago and, although the lines are repainted, they have a lot of lights to replace. I don't think the civilian FBO is open because the buildings all still look horrible. The military ramp is the only one being refurbed as of last Wednesday when I drove by.

We in Missouri have a great variety since we have both St. Louis and Kansas City to juxtapose.

St. Louis is the last of the great eastern cities like Cincy, Chicago, Indy, Cleveland, etc.

Kansas City is the first of the western cow towns, like OKC, Dallas, Denver, Omaha, etc.

Some like St. Louis better for it's flavor and some like KC for its flavor. They're both attractive in their own way and I'm glad Missouri has both flavors.

Correct but for day VFR only. It took and passed a "thump test" a couple weeks ago and, although the lines are repainted, they have a lot of lights to replace. I don't think the civilian FBO is open because the buildings all still look horrible. The military ramp is the only one being refurbed as of last Wednesday when I drove by.

A friend of mine flies in a club at FLV. He did tell me about the thump test being passed. He said there had been about 6' of water in the hangars, and that the planes hadn't been moved back from MKC yet.

Re KFLV, the FBO will be under repair for the next few weeks, maybe two months. Pics I got from the owner who's a good friend shows extensive damage. Basically, he'll be rebuilding just about everything that was bolted down and couldn't be removed before the water moved in. The fuel tanks are back in, but no electricity yet. Fuel transfer is being done via pumps until power is restored. I have pics I can post tomorrow. My plane just moved back there this weekend so things are getting back to normal slowly.

I understand the military hangars are just as bad. Folks that have hangar space there are being told to park on the ramp until the buildings are restored. Not sure how long that'll take.

Brian

When did we start talking about BBQ? ;)
I was hoping that this would bring up BBQ

Okc joes- google "gas station BBQ" and you have found what "I" consider the best BBQ I've ever had! I'm not in the area, but would love to get back there again soon to enjoy that food!

I was hoping that this would bring up BBQ

Okc joes- google "gas station BBQ" and you have found what "I" consider the best BBQ I've ever had! I'm not in the area, but would love to get back there again soon to enjoy that food!

Swing on by - a local group from the Island of Misfit Pilots meets up at OK Joe's occasionally.

Swing on by - a local group from the Island of Misfit Pilots meets up at OK Joe's occasionally.

I'll let you guys know when I'm in town- damn just the thought of that place makes me hungry...

Just a quick update. The city ramp is operational. There is fuel and the credit card reader should be up on Monday. The field is still day only (no lights yet) but there is electricity to the T-hangars. The contract has been put out for the FBO refurb and we anticipate completion around FEB 2012.

Please stop by and support!

Just a quick update. The city ramp is operational. There is fuel and the credit card reader should be up on Monday. The field is still day only (no lights yet) but there is electricity to the T-hangars. The contract has been put out for the FBO refurb and we anticipate completion around FEB 2012.

Please stop by and support!

Cool - I'll check with friend of mine who flies out of there, and see about heading up some day.

Back