PIREP: Flight Deck Bar & Grill, KRPJ Rochelle, IL

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I missed our club's fly-out to this restaurant a few months ago and I'd been wanting to try it out. I flew down there on St. Patty's day, and again yesterday. I'll definitely be back!

On St. Patty's it was Monday, the day they're normally closed during the winter, but they were opened for corned beef & cabbage and appetizers. I had the chicken egg rolls and chicken tenders, both exceptionally good. Last night, I had the four cheese mac (with chicken and bacon), and my wife had the Hop 'n' Pop Garlic Chicken. I grabbed a taste of that, and I must say I've been impressed with all the food I've had there - Definitely a big step above your average airport greasy spoon restaurant.

The menu has sections for preflight (appetizers), climb (salads), in-flight (sandwiches), and cruise (entrees). Descent/dessert is not on a menu as it changes fairly frequently, we were told - We shared a yummy peanut butter cupcake. The main menu changes fairly regularly as well, we were told.

They have a pretty cool setup - There's a skydiving operation http://www.perfectlygoodairplane.com/ based in the same building, and the restaurant has a large clear garage door as the wall on the runway side, so presumably in warm weather they'll open that up. There's also some glass on the ceiling/roof so you should be able to get a good view of the skydiving ops, which take off from right outside the restaurant. There's also a screen up behind the bar in the restaurant that is a closed-circuit feed from the skydiving place. I'm guessing they're both owned by the same people, and it's a pretty good use of cross-promotion.

However, that means the main parking area is not near the restaurant - You'll need to park on the main ramp, the restaurant is opposite the hangars from the ramp. If you are confused, there's a sign on the main hangar/terminal building with instructions. ;)

It's clearly a place that many locals go as well, as it was packed with people and there was only one other airplane that flew in. So, hopefully it'll be around for the long haul. I'll be back, and I recommend it to others in the area! :yes:

Back