Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
SPECIAL AIRWORTHINESS INFORMATION BULLETIN
SUBJ: Landing Gear
SAIB: CE-08-11
Date: January 9, 2008
This is information only. Recommendations aren’t mandatory.

Introduction
This Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) alerts you of an airworthiness concern on the following The New Piper Aircraft, Inc. (Piper) airplanes (Table 1) regarding potential failure of hydraulic hose part number (P/N) 17766-02 (465-138). The failure of the hydraulic hose may result in loss of pressure to extend the landing gears:

Table 1
Models Serial Numbers
PA-23 All serial numbers
PA-23 -150/160/235/250 All serial numbers
PA31 All serial numbers
PA31-300/310/325/350 All serial numbers
PA-31P All serial numbers
PA-31P-350 All serial numbers
PA31-350 T1020 All serial numbers
PA31T Cheyenne All serial numbers
PA31T Cheyenne II All serial numbers
PA31T1 Cheyenne I All serial numbers
PA31T1 Cheyenne IA All serial numbers
PA31T2 Cheyenne IIXL All serial numbers
PA31T3 T1040 All serial numbers
PA-42 Cheyenne III All serial numbers
PA-42 Cheyenne IIIA All serial numbers

Background
This SAIB is a result of FAA Accident Prevention Recommendations (APR) 07.097. This APR reported an incident on a Piper Model PA-31T airplane that occurred during an emergency landing. The airplane landed with the right main down along with the nose and left main gears retracted, which caused damage to the airplane engines, propellers, belly skin, and nose skin of the airplane.

The investigation revealed that the left main landing gear hydraulic pressure hose, P/N 17766-2 (465-138), which was located in the left main landing gear well, had ruptured. This hydraulic hose had deteriorated through years in-service. The hose was installed in March 1979 and had accumulated a total of 6,349 hours time-in-service.

Recommendations
We recommend that you inspect the landing gear hydraulic hose, P/N 17766-2 (465-138), for leaks and signs of deterioration. If there is evidence of leaks or signs of deterioration in the hydraulic hose, we recommend that you replace the part before further flight.

For Further Information Contact
Hector Hernandez, Aerospace Engineer, FAA, Central Region, Atlanta Aircraft Certification Office, One Crown Center, 1895 Phoenix Boulevard, Suite 450, Atlanta, GA 30349; phone (770) 703-6069; fax (770) 703-6097; email: Hector.Hernandez@faa.gov

Re: Piper Drivers Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB

I took the liberty of editing the thread to say "Piper Retractable Drivers...," in consideration that most of us have fixed gear PAs, but thanks for the free exercise behind the increased pulse rate.

Should also change it to "New Piper" so those of us with "Old" Piper's are saved as well.

Uh - the pipers in question are OLD piper retracts too.... The Cheyenne, for instance.

Though I must say this is a butt-covering SAIB. How hard can it be to know that you should replace hydraulic hoses more than once a decade?

Uh - the pipers in question are OLD piper retracts too.... The Cheyenne, for instance.

Though I must say this is a butt-covering SAIB. How hard can it be to know that you should replace hydraulic hoses more than once a decade?

OK, I was confused as it said New Piper aircraft. All I knew was that my P28R wasn't included.

Back