PHL city tour in class bravo

mymuss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hammerhat
Did anyone fly VFR over Philly downtown in class B? Do they do something similar to KBOS "City Tour"? I will be flying from Lancaster to Cape May and wanted to check it out.

Was thinking something like flying over Schuylkill and then over Delaware river but that puts me kind of close to KPHL, so I was wondering if they have any preferred route for VFR flyovers (like they have MassPike-Charles-MIT in Boston and Hudson corridor in NYC)?

Who do I talk to when entering from West (TRACON or Tower)? What else do I need to know?

Thanks for advice!

Are you based at KLNS?

I've done plenty of orbits over Pittsburgh (a much more pleasing sight from the air than Philly :D).

I request clearance into Bravo, state my intentions, and they usually tell me to remain VFR and report any altitude changes.

Given Philadelphia's proximity to KPHL, it may not be as laid back.

I am based in KOWD (Norwood, Mass). I've done few Class B city tours in Boston and NYC and those went smoothly. But I knew about ATC preferred route in Boston (from West it's MassPike to Harvard then over Charles to MIT or Mass Ave or even Zakim bridge and then back). In NYC they just print detailed instructions on the back of TAC. But I couldn't find any information on flying over Philly.

I'm flying to KLNS and then KWWD tomorrow, so don't want to miss the opportunity.

I have been routed over philly coming from WWD to LOM. Right off the airport, a nice photo pass. Maybe Rob, Adam or Dave will be along to add to the post. Dave flys back and forth to WWD from LOM (wings) to go to the shore.

I have done it a few times. I typically leave KLOM and head to Modena (MXE) VOR and call up approach there. I tell them that I am at 2500 and would like to fly a city tour and then depart back to KLOM. They have directed me once to maintain 2500 and they took me directly towards PHL and then turned me North aside the stadiums and following the river up the west side of downtown. This is great if it is the afternoon as you will have the sun at your back and then it will be lighting the skyline as you fly right over the Art Museum and the river.

On another occasion the controller cleared me to fly east again after the Art museum and then I was able to circle down the Delaware over the Ben Franklin Bridge, then they turned me west again before I was at the stadiums. IIRC, commercial traffic was pretty light at that time.

They may let you do something like that and then depart you over to Jersey by flying right over the Phillies Ballpark and then over the airport too. Many times from LOM, heading south they will pass us directly over PHL at 3000 or 3500 as the arriving and departing traffic flies below you.

Attachments

• Phildelphia City Tour.jpg
    Phildelphia City Tour.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PHL4500-Back from ACY.jpg
    PHL4500-Back from ACY.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
LNS to WWD is much further south than Philly so if you want to do the tour head a bit north and contact Philly APP on 123.8 near MXE. Tell them you are at X altitude over MXE enroute to WWD and would like to do a tour of the city on the way.

They will likely keep you above 2K and tell you to orbit the city from the north to the south in a clockwise circle and keep north of the Stadiums. Its pretty simple and a nice view. Have a good time.

Back