Phantom Canyon crash

Oldmanb777

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Oldmanb777
4 fatalities. Sketchy reporting (surprised?) So approximately the South West side of Pikes Peak. Possibly took off from Florence enroute to APA. Looks like a single engine Cessna, but other than that I have not seen much info.

4 people in a 172 departing from a 5500’ elevation in the Rockies on a windy day.

Seems like asking ‘what could possibly go right’ would have been a good question for the PIC to ask…

That’s tough. Hard on passengers as they probably to see/feel that a crash was coming as they ran out of air underneath them

4 people in a 172 departing from a 5500’ elevation in the Rockies on a windy day.

I was offered the 4th seat in a C-172 years ago for a trip to Sun-N-Fun. Considering the plane, the size of the other guys, fuel, and luggage I quickly declined that offer.

Sadly here there were likely those that did not know that four seats aren't always available in such a light airplane at high altitudes. I'm not assigning blame but the pilot must be PIC before the plane is loaded and the engine starts ...

Photo of accident plane ...

74822_1571444638.jpg

Oof. A good friend of mine who lives in COS and owns a T-41C came to mind when I saw the aircraft type. Luckily, it was not him/his plane.

For this that don’t know, the T-41B/C has a 210hp motor and constant-speed prop.

For this that don’t know, the T-41B/C has a 210hp motor and constant-speed prop.
The T-41C had the same 210-hp Continental IO-360 as the T-41B, but was built with a fixed-pitch prop at the express request of the USAF. Cessna recommended against the fixed-pitch prop, but the customer insisted. As Cessna feared, there were fuel metering issues with the combination of fuel-injected engine and fixed-pitch prop, especially with primary-training maneuvering in the high-altitude environment around the USAF Academy in Colorado.

F5CF2192-80E3-4FCD-B08D-1BD68E2EFEE8.jpeg

What could go wrong?

Actually, I have flown a Cessna with similar engine /prop combination, and taking off at full gross, climbing at best angle, I reached 10,000 feet in 12 minutes. The ROC at 10,000 was 700 FPM. Venturing into a rising valley was not in my choices, but climbing along the side of a high mountain was comfortable. I did stay well away.

The only reason that I only took that bird no higher than 14,000 was lack of oxygen .

Sad that they made a mistake that turned a fine sightseeing trip into a fatal crash. Determining just what that mistake was will be a challenge. Wind produces a lot of turbulence, and they may have been tumbled to an unusual attitude, and failed to make a suitable recovery.

Sad outcome for their families.

T-41 was the second plane I flew after getting my ppl. After a ragged out 150 it felt like a rocket! I flew flew with aNavy Flying Club on the east coast, so never took off with super high DAs. I really enjoyed flying her. That was close to 25 years ago. Went to the club’s website and she’s still flying! Very sad to hear these folks perished in one. Condolences to the families.

Back