Passenger lands plane

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
[font=Verdana, Arial] A man whose only flight instruction was glider lessons 25 years ago guided a private plane to an emergency crash landing at North Las Vegas Airport on Thursday after the pilot suffered a fatal heart attack. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Pilot Douglas Reichardt, 49, owner of the popular El Jefe's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina in Henderson, died at University Medical Center following the 9:14 a.m. crash of his twin-engine Gulfstream I. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] The plane circled several times while attempting an approach, and the passenger who took over its controls had at least one close call before bringing it in, North Las Vegas Fire Department Capt. Jay Wittwer said. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] "It was a little bit too low, and he almost hit some apartments to the north," Wittwer said. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Landing gear lowered, the plane touched down about 100 feet short of the runway. The crash broke all three wheels off the aircraft, which skidded to a stop on its belly without catching fire. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] "It was amazing," Wittwer said. "He missed buildings and was able to get the plane back to home base and walk away." [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] The two passengers, whose names were not released, emerged from the plane on their own with minor injuries, and firefighters pulled the pilot from the aircraft. They were all taken to UMC, where the pilot died within hours, hospital officials said. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Reichardt had filed a flight plan to San Diego before the plane took off from North Las Vegas at 8:30 a.m., said Donn Walker, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Hawthorne, Calif. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Shortly afterward, Reichardt told air traffic control in Los Angeles that he needed to return to North Las Vegas and was approved to do so, Walker said. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] In the plane's next communication, a passenger informed air traffic control at McCarran International Airport that Reichardt was incapacitated. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] "He was given directions to orient the plane back to North Las Vegas and told he could land on any of the three runways," Walker said. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] After the crash landing, the passenger who guided the plane to the ground told officials at the airport his only previous experience controlling an aircraft involved a few lessons piloting gliders in the late 1970s. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Wittwer said the two passengers were Southern Nevada residents who appeared to be in their 50s. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] Employees at El Jefe's declined to comment.[/font]

"Reichardt had filed a flight plan to San Diego before the plane took off from North Las Vegas at 8:30 a.m., said Donn Walker, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Hawthorne, Calif. "
Well, crap!!! Thank goodness for the flight plan!!! :rofl: This reminds me that Cathy needs a couple dual lessons. She won't even touch the controls when we are flying, but she needs to get over that just a little bit.

A truly great ending to a very tragic event. I am very greatful that the pax were able to survive such a terrible ordeal.

My sympathies to the pilot's family.

Makes me glad, though, that my usual right seater is as qualified to fly the plane as I am, even though, when she is reminding me of that while in the right seat, I am usually more prone to contemplate pushing her out than being glad.

;)

Jim G

Those private pilots in their piper cubs are going kill us all! They should be banned!

That's pretty much what some members of the public are going to take away from that article.

larrysb said:
Those private pilots in their piper cubs are going kill us all! They should be banned!

That's pretty much what some members of the public are going to take away from that article.

Some members, yes, but I don't think the majority will see anything other than the classic hero dream: Pilot is incapacitated, passenger lands plane. Most people will not understand what the gulfstream is, and will picture the person landing the new A380 or something. Gulfstream is impressive enough!

Anyone ever see that episode of wings, where Joe landed the 707 because Brian and the 2 other pilots were food poisoned?

Last edited:
Back