Part Time CFI

PiperPilot1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PiperPilot1
Hello Everyone,

I am a new commercial pilot and figured Id post here looking for some advice. I have 500TT and just completed one season at my first job. I currently have a COMM ASEL and instrument rating, no multi or CFI. However, I am looking at getting my CFI and CFII and instructing. I think It would be a logical next step, and I feel like I would really enjoy it, and hopefully learn a lot also. I wanted to ask, though, about scheduling and working as a free lance CFI. I have access to multiple flying clubs and FBOs (where I did my training) and would try and instruct part 61 at one of these places and not for a 141 school...but, Im looking for a somewhat flexible schedule where I can pursue competitive sports part time. Would this be possible or kosher as a CFI to say work 4 days a week (i.e. friday-tuesday) and have 3 days off a week? Im pretty sure it would be fine, but figured Id ask some more experienced CFIs first. Even at a small mom and pop FBO or flying club, I dont know if they would be ok with a part time CFI. What say you more experienced CFIs?
Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I am a new commercial pilot and figured Id post here looking for some advice. I have 500TT and just completed one season at my first job. I currently have a COMM ASEL and instrument rating, no multi or CFI. However, I am looking at getting my CFI and CFII and instructing. I think It would be a logical next step, and I feel like I would really enjoy it, and hopefully learn a lot also. I wanted to ask, though, about scheduling and working as a free lance CFI. I have access to multiple flying clubs and FBOs (where I did my training) and would try and instruct part 61 at one of these places and not for a 141 school...but, Im looking for a somewhat flexible schedule where I can pursue competitive sports part time. Would this be possible or kosher as a CFI to say work 4 days a week (i.e. friday-tuesday) and have 3 days off a week? Im pretty sure it would be fine, but figured Id ask some more experienced CFIs first. Even at a small mom and pop FBO or flying club, I dont know if they would be ok with a part time CFI. What say you more experienced CFIs?
Thanks!
Flight schools need CFIs when customers want to fly. For schools that cater to recreational students with full time jobs, your schedule will work just fine. Busy 141 collegiate programs might not be so flexible. You’ll just have to ask to find out. Plenty of folks are CFIs with full time office jobs that instruct nights and weekends.

Quite frankly, many schools have a hard time keeping instructors around, so a CFI with any availability is a win for them.

At my flying club, people keep schedules and students book what’s open. Some people want to fly in the day and then some people need their night hours. I’m sure any reliable availability would be good.

I am not a CFI but have plenty of friends that are. They make their own availability at a local flight school operation. One was an assistant chief flight instructor and a full time firefighter. Another is a remote worker for 40 hours and instructs on the side. Another schedules his work around his wife’s medevac job schedule and the kiddos’ school pickup and drop off. All kinds of weird calendar openings for those guys. You can do it too.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Study your ass off, be the best instructor you can be and they will beg you to work what ever hours you will give them.

Whether or not there is a CFI shortage, the use of part-timers by flight schools is a choice made by the flight school. Those are the people you need to talk to, especially the school where you get your CFI since you will already indoctrinated into their methods and policies.

I’ve only been a part-time CFI for 25 years and have seen both types through the years.

Thank you all for the replies!! Thats pretty good to hear that it seems most places are flexible. I actually just called up the FBO where I did a good chunk of my training and, by chance, they are looking for a part time CFI! Im looking forward to the challenge of getting this new rating...Now I have to actually study and pass my checkride! lol Thanks again for the help everyone!!

Back