Part 121 Guy w/ Adjustment Disorder

121 Guy

Hello,

I am a part 121 guy (aka airline pilot) who developed an adjustment disorder due to life circumstances in the past year. I had to take some time off work to get it sorted out as I put myself ahead of flying and figured I owed it to my fellow crew members and passengers. I was not put on medication and was able to resolve it with a Phd level Psychogist with no concerns. I have no history of mental health issues as well.

My question is would this create a problem at my next medical? I have all therapy notes and such. One of my union members also helped explain what my options are as they were on the ARC appointed by the FAA in the past year and is very close with Dr. Northup. I just want to be as open as possible so this doesn't backfire on me for getting the help and coping skills I needed.

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to know that. I was told by my union member who is a licensed counselor that cause and affect is easier to issue as opposed to waking up and feeling messed up. The psychologist agreed it was "clearly obvious" that this was a major life stressor. I just get scared that I'd be in the system + deferred for talking with someone and preventing this from getting worse. I'm glad to know it's something that can be issued as I've never had a problem or medication in my life and I was terrified to say something.

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to know that. I was told by my union member who is a licensed counselor that cause and affect is easier to issue as opposed to waking up and feeling messed up. The psychologist agreed it was "clearly obvious" that this was a major life stressor. I just get scared that I'd be in the system + deferred for talking with someone and preventing this from getting worse. I'm glad to know it's something that can be issued as I've never had a problem or medication in my life and I was terrified to say something.
Good for you for getting the help you needed! I think that’s the sad state pilots find themselves due to the FAA’s overly aggressive, assume worst case for every situation stance to mental health. It’s a poorly addressed solution to the issue when it puts pilots in a position to weight getting mental health help or potentially ruin their career.

Best of luck!

No need for a lawyer or consult. It's just a waste of money here in my opinion. I know and have worked with several of them when I worked at a university. I am not a weekend flyer and a revenue airmen. I have seen what happens when you don't tell the truth. I am not risking my career over something simple. I had a student years ago lie about having ADHD and was caught. Took 3 years to get a new medical and had to reapply for their certificates. Not worth it.

No need for a lawyer or consult. It's just a waste of money here in my opinion. I know and have worked with several of them when I worked at a university. I am not a weekend flyer and a revenue airmen. I have seen what happens when you don't tell the truth. I am not risking my career over something simple. I had a student years ago lie about having ADHD and was caught. Took 3 years to get a new medical and had to reapply for their certificates. Not worth it.

I’m also a rev 121 guy, and you’re playing the odds if you believe what you just wrote

If you ask the more experienced airmen who have seen a few things, the FAA ain’t about honesty or science, it’s pure administrative law at its worst, talk to a lawyer who’s versed in it

Anthony Ison would be my recommendation, google him and read the reviews

I think that’s the sad state pilots find themselves due to the FAA’s overly aggressive, assume worst case for every situation stance to mental
It’s a poorly addressed solution to the issue when it puts pilots in a position to weight getting mental health help or potentially ruin their career.
Taking responsibility can be hard, yes. But this isn’t the days of the big bad wolf. See Doc Bruce’s response. What j find worse than the FAA’s policies are pilots trying to scare other pilots into thinking that seeking medical care is the end of their career when in most cases it’s not.

Yeah, as another professional aviator I would agree with my colleagues! Seek LEGAL advise first and foremost! The FAA DOES NOT REWARD HONESTY!!! Ask me how I know!!

Back