Orlando

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Going to Orlando this weekend, have ground transportation to meet us where ever we need within reason, what airport should I use?

Kissimme might be a good choice. KISM. There's also Orlando Exec, KORL. I've flown in and out of KISM, and have ridden as a px in and out of KORL.

Going to Orlando this weekend, have ground transportation to meet us where ever we need within reason, what airport should I use?

Where in Orlando are you going? KISM is a good way south, but good for Disney. KORL is near the center of Orlando. KSFB is to the north.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where in Orlando are you going? KISM is a good way south, but good for Disney. KORL is near the center of Orlando. KSFB is to the north.

John

No idea, a friend from China is visiting Orlando for a couple of weeks, we're flying down for the weekend to join her.

KORL has two FBOs: Air Orlando and Showalter. I use Showalter and they really do an excellent job of customer service. I have no experience with Air Orlando. If you can find out where your friend is staying it would help. KISM is closer to most of the resort places.

John

KORL has two FBOs: Air Orlando and Showalter. I use Showalter and they really do an excellent job of customer service. I have no experience with Air Orlando. If you can find out where your friend is staying it would help. KISM is closer to most of the resort places.

John

Asked the wife again where they were in Orlando, we don't know :mad2:

Oh well. Flip a coin I guess.

If you don't fly down here much, I suggest you check the airspace on your charts first. We have KSFB with a class C (and heavy traffic running east-west), KMCO with class D (4 north-south runways). KORL is sandwiched between the two and under the 1600' class D shelf and right next to a 900' shelf. KISM is south west of KMCO under a (I believe) 2500' class D shelf but not far from the 3nm-3000' TFR over Disney World. It can get a little tricky.

If you decide on KISM you may want to get out to the west side before coming into KSFB's Charlie airspace. Crossing from east to west requires threading a needle or getting clearance through the Bravo.

For KORL you can stay east until you are south of KSFB and go straight into KORL at 1500' without bothering with either the Charlie or Bravo.

If you find out specifics, let me know and I'll fill in what blanks I can.

John

Most of the hotels are in the attractions area. ISM and ORL both work. Cheap gas at Orlando Apopka X04.

I have flown a number of times to KISM. Nice airport, no landing fees, and FBO was very accomodating. I have been on IFR flight plan everytime and it was a breeze other than they have always made me use the STAR, which was not difficult at all. The first time I went they even vectored me over disney world, my CFII got some great pics.

Oh well. Flip a coin I guess.

If you don't fly down here much, I suggest you check the airspace on your charts first. We have KSFB with a class C (and heavy traffic running east-west), KMCO with class D (4 north-south runways). KORL is sandwiched between the two and under the 1600' class D shelf and right next to a 900' shelf. KISM is south west of KMCO under a (I believe) 2500' class D shelf but not far from the 3nm-3000' TFR over Disney World. It can get a little tricky.

If you decide on KISM you may want to get out to the west side before coming into KSFB's Charlie airspace. Crossing from east to west requires threading a needle or getting clearance through the Bravo.

For KORL you can stay east until you are south of KSFB and go straight into KORL at 1500' without bothering with either the Charlie or Bravo.

If you find out specifics, let me know and I'll fill in what blanks I can.

John

My great idea was to pick up flight following. Between the 530, the AV8OR and my iPad, I figure I can avoid airspace should I get dropped.

Got the particulars, looks like they're closer to winter haven.

Then I'd fly into Winter Haven. KGIF. I've landed there once but can't tell you anything about FBOS etc. it was just a touch and go. Nice runway though.

Nice little airport. Good restaurant. I haven't used the FBO other than for parking. Jack Brown's Seaplanes is located on field as is a Stearman ride/instruction business. Drive isn't bad to the attractions areas and Fantasy of Flight is a short drive away. It's the closest airport to the new Legoland too.

Then I'd fly into Winter Haven. KGIF. I've landed there once but can't tell you anything about FBOS etc. it was just a touch and go. Nice runway though.

And that's what we're going to do. Thanks.

Nice little airport. Good restaurant. I haven't used the FBO other than for parking. Jack Brown's Seaplanes is located on field as is a Stearman ride/instruction business. Drive isn't bad to the attractions areas and Fantasy of Flight is a short drive away. It's the closest airport to the new Legoland too.

Thanks for the PIREP.

KISM FBO staff rolled our rental car right up to the plane as we parked. Great service!

A couple of pics from KGIF today. I drove by and had lunch. I wished I had flown.

Attachments

• IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 8
Back