OK, Maine it is!

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
Pointing the Cherokee north this year the week of August 3-8. Probably go from FDK, BAF for food & fuel then IWI as an ops base. Bride says the only "must do's" are a whale watching day cruise, some sea kayaking and a day at Lobsterfest to stuff ourselves silly.

Probably'll roll the dice and stay where there are vacancy signs. Seems most of the B&B's have pretty restrictive cancellation policies. Even though I'm IR, I don't push the weather.

If anybody has any contacts for any of the above, or any other ideas, let me know here or PM me. I'd sooner keep the business in the "family" if I can.

Really, really looking forward to it. Been a long time since I've seen the rocky coast.

Camden Harbor. Day trip on the Nathaniel Bowditch, a three masted schooner. http://www.windjammervacation.com/schedule.html see at the bottom, she's available for CHARTER.

Supper: Young's Lobster Pound, Belfast ME. Long picnic tables with checkered plastic tablecloths. Don't wear nice clothes, you'll end up covered with butter.

Lunch: Helen's in Machias. Then head for Campobello. Alternatively you can land at Machias (runway is highest in the middle, do a SHORT FIELD and get it stopped by the TOP). Get Blueberry Ford to rent you a car and pick you up when you get there; drive to the Rooseveldt's summer retreat, it's a joint Can-US National Park.

Day trip to Acadia, have lunch at Jordan Pond House. Popovers to die for. Southwest Harbor: the Henry Hinckley yacht yard.

......see, many moons ago, I was a "from away" and lived there for five years.

Day trip to Deer Isle, see a working harbor: Stonington. Modes lunch in a street cafe.

Bring passports. Fly to Grand Manan Island (Canadian) for a day trip to see the puffins.

Want grass? Gadabout Gaddis on the Kennebec. 2000 feet, trees a the NE end, SW ends in the river, Mom & Pop crab rolls adjacent to the runway.

There's a 2000 foot grass strip on Isleboro. It's where they build the famous "Island Packet" 34 foot sloop. By hand. Out of Wood.

See.......many moons ago, I lived there for five years. I was "from away". The cat had kittens in the oven and they're unfortunately, not "biscuits". (thank you Tim Sample)

Last edited:
Day trip to Deer Isle, see a working harbor: Stonington. Modes lunch in a street cafe.

Small airport in Stonington, ME -93B. Short bike ride down the hill to main street. Great places to eat, Harbor cafe' for a quick lunch (locals eatery), For dinner the Maritime Cafe'. There was also a very nice light house tour on the Isle au Haut Boat Services just a short walk from the cafe'.

It's great if you have bikes, there is no transportation from the airport. I made prior arrangements with the owner of the place we stayed at on the main street, Boyce Motel. Great guy very nice to deal with and he made our stay a real pleasure.

Short hop back to KRKD, Knox County for the lobster festival or continue north east for a very short hop to KBHB, Bar harbor.

If you land at KIWI(my Base) it's only a short hop to Sarah's Cafe, right on the waterfront.

(I was going to post a photo of the Nathaniel Bowditch but the image is 16MB )

HR

But just before you hit KIWI you'll pass over this one(with the closed runways -- until later this year).

Attachments

• Naval Air Station Brunswick.jpg
    Naval Air Station Brunswick.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
Fly up to BHB, spend a good long day up that way. Oodles of my family still live on the island (it's not a coincidence that so many roads and areas share my family name), so if you're interested in being connected with a local for some exceptional experiences, drop me a line.

The hiking is wonderful, boating wonderful, and the sights unreal. No matter where I go in the world, no matter what I see or experience, no place is quite as magical as Acadia National Park.

617095580_EXNZm-M.jpg

Cheers,

-Andrew

Evidently the President agrees with your assessment of Acadia :wink2:

Clearly. :thumbsup:

There are few places on this planet that make me feel the way Acadia does. I've lived, worked, played, or relaxed up there my entire life. Majestic doesn't begin to describe it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'm headed up to KBHB tomorrow (after a quick stop at 1B1 in NY). Anyone been there recently or have any PIREPs? I'll be spending the night there. Fingers crossed for the weather. No IR so coastal weather could be an issue.

Chip: See my post, above. The airport over which you would pass, with closed runways, IS NO LONGER CLOSED. The former NAS Brunswick, since April 02, is now Brunswick Executive Airport KBXM and will welcome you to land on its 8000' 01R or 19L, and to visit the huge Hangar 6 where Flight Level Aviation FBO is located. If I didn't already have a guest in the guest room during that week you'd be welcome to use it, no charge. I'm 12sm from my base, KIWI. My guest is leaving on August 09.

HR

I always like to stay at one of the wharf hotels in Boothbay, an easy drive from IWI.
Fly up to Rockland and taxi up to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. If the weather is bad, then drive, and continue on to Camden for lunch at one of the fine restaurants or a little farther to Lincolnville Beach where they ferry comes in from Islesborough. Nice resturant on the beach.

Camden shops and the wharf areas are great in August.

Sorry for the confusion... I resurrected a thread from a year ago (did a search for BHB and this is what I found). I'm headed to BHB, not IWI or BXM, lovely as they might be. Was just seeing if anyone had any recent information on that, or any weather thoughts this time of year (and specifically tomorrow and Thurs).

I always like to stay at one of the wharf hotels in Boothbay, an easy drive from IWI.
Fly up to Rockland and taxi up to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. If the weather is bad, then drive, and continue on to Camden for lunch at one of the fine restaurants or a little farther to Lincolnville Beach where they ferry comes in from Islesborough. Nice resturant on the beach.

Camden shops and the wharf areas are great in August.

One of my former customers: Ken Brown, Boothbay Harbor - - -
My photo of several years ago, but on April 20 there weren't many boats in Boothbay Harbor.

HR

Attachments

• KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 4
Ended up diverting to KPSM for the night...quite a bit of nasty weather this evening! Hopefully Bar Harbor tomorrow.

Back