O-300 Advice

VictorMike

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
VictorMike
Well I finally took the plunge and bought a 172 to get back into GA after a couple of years- The big planes are becoming a job more and more. So I got myself a 172 with a O-300-D and coming from a lyc with my former K model the pricing for overhauls is a mystery to me. Obviously prices have gone up across the board but does anyone have some recent pricing experience overhauling an O-300 aside from the 41K I just got quoted with a good crank? The engine is right at TBO as it stands, compressions are good and I don't intend to jump right into an overhaul yet but I at least want an idea if it needs to be overhauled sooner rather than later. The airplane has consistently flown as well so I am not all that concerned about corrosion and it was topped with Millenniums recently. Some opinions would be great!

Thanks everyone

Recent Columbia Quote at $31.5 K. I’ve had good results with them.

Another guy I know is just way too busy.

Anyone of the thought I should just run the engine out till something changes? As it stands it's healthy (knocking on wood) and I just hate fixing something that isn't broke right now. Again, my experience with the O-300s is limited. If it was my old o-320 I wouldn't hesitate.

If it were me, I would run it until it needed major work.

The O-300 is notorious for needing top end work every thousand hours or so, so you may be looking at an overhaul soon anyway.

Having said all of that, do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Anyone of the thought I should just run the engine out till something changes? As it stands it's healthy (knocking on wood) and I just hate fixing something that isn't broke right now. Again, my experience with the O-300s is limited. If it was my old o-320 I wouldn't hesitate.
I'm definitely of the thought that you should run it until something changes, rather than spend a bunch of money (and assume the risk inherent with major maintenance) on an engine that seems to be working perfectly well. I got forced into an overhaul due to a camshaft issue. I went with LyCon, who seem to have done superb work. Base cost was $25k on an O-360-A4A, with options for various witchcraft taking it up to $33k. My own ended up being rather more expensive due to needing an entirely new camshaft and crankshaft.

All that said, my engine was running perfectly and I would have felt very comfortable flying behind it (even knowing the camshaft issue) until I saw a performance degradation or unsafe finding on inspection. Alas, I didn't have that option. Keep flying that engine!

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a 172 to get back into GA after a couple of years- The big planes are becoming a job more and more. So I got myself a 172 with a O-300-D and coming from a lyc with my former K model the pricing for overhauls is a mystery to me. Obviously prices have gone up across the board but does anyone have some recent pricing experience overhauling an O-300 aside from the 41K I just got quoted with a good crank? The engine is right at TBO as it stands, compressions are good and I don't intend to jump right into an overhaul yet but I at least want an idea if it needs to be overhauled sooner rather than later. The airplane has consistently flown as well so I am not all that concerned about corrosion and it was topped with Millenniums recently. Some opinions would be great!

Thanks everyone
You got new jugs so just keep an eye on oil pressure. Drill baby Drill (holes in the sky)

You got new jugs so just keep an eye on oil pressure. Drill baby Drill (holes in the sky)
As I recall the idle oil pressure is really low any way. 5psi as I recall is the minimum. Especially with new cylinders I would run it until something changes.
Maybe look for an used engine or even an STC engine change, O-360 makes these a really nice airplane and easier to get engine parts. Could get used engine with some time left and just mount it when you need it or get it overhauled and have it ready to install when you need it.

Brian

I know of several that had new jugs and were flying another 1000 hrs or so

past TBO. Just monitor and you may add draining oil through a paint

strainer at changes.

Very subjective. Day VFR in the midwest? Fly it until it stops! (obviously don't do that but I would think the engine will tell you when it's ready). Add IFR, night, mountains, sprawling metropolis or any combination of those four and things get a little more complicated (at least for me)...

Back