NY/NJ Peeps

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
I'm planning a flight to Long Island in a few months. Probably parking at ISP. On the way home, I might decide to visit relatives in NJ. Closest airport is 47N.

Is there a good VFR route fro ISP to 47N? (I have some idea what an IFR route might be!)

If weather is good ISP JFK direct 47N .try 6500 ft.

You probably know this, be aware of presidential TFRs that will close 47N.

If weather is good ISP JFK direct 47N .try 6500 ft.
Thank you! I see how that makes sense. Above the JFK approach/departure corridors and below the shelf of EWR's Class B.

I I might even try the Hudson corridor north to south and then. Hard to resist when I grew up 2 miles from VZ :)

Can't say for certain that 47N will be open during this year's Presidential TFRs, but it was open with last year's configuration and I expect it will be open this year, too. It is just outside (south) of the inner, 10 mile ring. You have to be talking to ATC, on a squawk code, be cleared into the 30 mile ring, and have a flight plan on-file (didn't need to be activated last year). But going through the Bravo will provide the first three items, so only need to add the flight plan filing.

Only other difference is that 47N is so close to the edge of the 10 mile ring that during the TFR its runway 07 pattern is changed to right traffic from its normal left traffic to keep airplanes south of the runway and away from the 10 mile ring.

Back