Northern NJ / NYC Metro Flight Schools

TangoZulu

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TangoZulu
Hey,

I'm a 25 year old guy interested in attending flight school to pursue a private pilot's license in the Northern NJ / NYC metro area. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a reasonably priced, but good flight school in the area? I am willing to drive a bit.

Particularly, I've been eyeing the following airports: Caldwell, Linden, Greenwood Lake, Lincoln Park and Morristown.

I'd like to keep the drive under 40 miles (highway) from downtown Jersey City since I will be flying (when I can) after work and on weekends. I'm interested in starting training as soon as I finish prepping for the written exam (reading books at home now).

Thanks

I don't think "reasonably priced" exists down there, I'd wager you'll have to come up to the north country for that.

I don't think "reasonably priced" exists down there, I'd wager you'll have to come up to the north country for that.

What would you consider north country? New York State?

Hey,

I'm a 25 year old guy interested in attending flight school to pursue a private pilot's license in the Northern NJ / NYC metro area. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a reasonably priced, but good flight school in the area? I am willing to drive a bit.

Particularly, I've been eyeing the following airports: Caldwell, Linden, Greenwood Lake, Lincoln Park and Morristown.

I'd like to keep the drive under 40 miles (highway) from downtown Jersey City since I will be flying (when I can) after work and on weekends. I'm interested in starting training as soon as I finish prepping for the written exam (reading books at home now).

Thanks

I was in a similar situation to yours this past summer, started my training at Caldwell with Air Fleet and absolutely loved it, got my PPL in early December. Instructors are extraordinarily dedicated and excellent at teaching, had a great family feel, and the prices are pretty damn good.

I was in a similar situation to yours this past summer, started my training at Caldwell with Air Fleet and absolutely loved it, got my PPL in early December. Instructors are extraordinarily dedicated and excellent at teaching, had a great family feel, and the prices are pretty damn good.

Thanks Maciej. I'll check them out. Congrats on the PPL. How many hours did it take for you and what was the approx. cost at Air Fleet?

Side note: By any chance, did you go to NJIT? I know a Maciej into bikes there.

Last edited:
Thanks Maciej. I'll check them out. Congrats on the PPL. How many hours did it take for you and what was the approx. cost at Air Fleet?

Side note: By any chance, did you go to NJIT? I know a Maciej into bikes there.

Damn, small world, shoot me a PM lol

Fischer Fischer Fischer Fischer!!! KCDW

Cannot rec them enough. Check their Google reviews. They have very reasonable rates, older but very clean aircraft (saves $$), Part 141, and Tom Fischer the owner is about as straight a shooter you're going to find. He runs a great shop.

If you can make it to FRG I'd look at Global Aviation. They rent Warriors for 135 wet and 145 with a 430W

I started my training at Century Air at Caldwell. It's a very clean shop with well maintained airplanes. I would train with them again. American Flyers at Morristown is also good. They seem to have more of a social atmosphere there.

Somerset has a lot of Cherokees. I haven't flown out of there in several years, but they were reasonably priced, and the instructors seemed nice.

Andover Flight is an excellent option. Maybe a few extra minutes, but worth the drive. They have a 172 for a reasonable rate, and the instructors are absolutely top notch. Beware of some of the more mainstream schools. They will have instructors looking to build hours, that aren't good at and/or don't enjoy teaching. That is a great way to waste money.

The Andover guys really enjoy flying small planes and teaching others how to do so. Damian, the owner, is a very talented pilot, and a natural teacher. He taught me things in a few hours of tailwheel signoff that I never learned in 40-50 hours of getting my PP.

Back