No longer an owner...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Well, this morning I cranked up the old girl one last time for a flight to parts northward where a very happy new caretaker took over the responsibility for "my" Taylorcraft BC-12D. She's been a very good ship and I'm missing her already. In fact, if it hadn't been for the paperwork issue, I probably would never ever have sold her.

970958_10201498690255356_1245382487_n.jpg

I'm looking for a replacement, or preferably an older LSA taildragger for leaseback in the Austin or central Texas area for my school and will continue working with students in the Boerne in the J-3 down there until I can find a new plane to use near my home.
If anyone knows of an inexpensive LSA in this class (and it MUST be LSA for my mission) please let me know. I was actually able to make a little bit of money on this bird despite it not turning out to be LSA, and I think I could do even better with the right bird, or make someone some money in a leaseback situation.

Ryan

Ryan, someone posted over on the red board that they were looking for a Cessna 140 In the Austin area. Perhaps you and he can hook up and accomplish the common mission of a good Taildragger for both of your purposes.

Ryan, someone posted over on the red board that they were looking for a Cessna 140 In the Austin area. Perhaps you and he can hook up and accomplish the common mission of a good Taildragger for both of your purposes.
Tell him to look me up over here. I can't get in to the Red Board anymore as I chose to not renew.

Ryan

Beautiful bird! I can't wait to see the next one. Maybe you can teach me your tailwheel skeells!

I thought Tcrafts were LSA.
Jeanie,
I'm sure Ryan will correct me if I am wrong, but basically, the wording for LSA aircraft is 'continues to meet' and at one time long long ago, his Taylorcraft had a beech-roby adjustable propeller which made it complex and not LSA compliant. Even though the propeller has been removed the aircraft didn't meet the 'continues to meet' part to be eligible for LSA.

in a nut shell of course.

Hopefully you will find yourself whole again soon.

Jeanie,
I'm sure Ryan will correct me if I am wrong, but basically, the wording for LSA aircraft is 'continues to meet' and at one time long long ago, his Taylorcraft had a beech-roby adjustable propeller which made it complex and not LSA compliant. Even though the propeller has been removed the aircraft didn't meet the 'continues to meet' part to be eligible for LSA.

"For sale:
LSA taylorcraft missing logbooks from 19xx to 19xx"

Not that I would ever advice "loosing" records and useless if a 337 was filled.

Jeanie,

~~~~ well, that's just silly. If the Tcraft was back to "normal" then it should be able to be considered returned to service as an LSA. Really?! Sometimes I wish the beaurocrats could think...

~~~~ well, that's just silly. If the Tcraft was back to "normal" then it should be able to be considered returned to service as an LSA. Really?! Sometimes I wish the beaurocrats could think...

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it :).

"For sale:
LSA taylorcraft missing logbooks from 19xx to 19xx"

Not that I would ever advice "loosing" records and useless if a 337 was filled.
The 337 is really the biggest issue. There is a 337 filed for an inflight adjustable, prop - not constant speed, but adjustable nonetheless. Seriously, I enjoyed this bird to the hilt, and if it weren't for the 337, I'd still be flying it.

Ryan

It's angering, really.

Ryan

Jeanie,

Who would know? Seriously, why not just fly the damn thing, It is an LSA in the spirit of the law.

Who would know? Seriously, why not just fly the damn thing, It is an LSA in the spirit of the law.
I would be sending the plane for checkrides. The students have to know the LSA rules and definitions, and I couldn't in good conscience send them for a checkride in a plane that I know that the FAA says isn't an LSA.

Ryan

I actually met a guy in Taylor, not far from Austin, who is selling a 140. I checked out the plane. Awesome airplane, but I'm not ready for a taildragger myself. Guy is super nice. Look for it on Craigslist, that's where I saw it.

The Cessna 140 does not meet the LSA requirements due to it's gross weight so it wouldn't meet the OP's needs.

I do know of a nice Aeronca Champ that is LSA compliant and is for sale. PM me if interested.

Scott

The Cessna 140 does not meet the LSA requirements due to it's gross weight so it wouldn't meet the OP's needs.

I do know of a nice Aeronca Champ that is LSA compliant and is for sale. PM me if interested.

Scott
To be honest, even if it didn't meet the LSA requirements I'd be interested in a reasonably priced Cessna 120/140 - especially if it had a nav/com setup that could be used for VOR training for a PP and had landing lights for night work.

Ryan

They did think. They made sure no one could come up with an STC for a Cessna 150 that reduced the gross weight to make it a nudge-nudge-wink-wink LSA.

Back