News and the normal everyday kit for an adult

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
I was flipping through the "news" on my phone and came across this story

http://www.staugustine.com/nationwo...stops-shooting-spree-at-tumwater-wash-walmart

It got me to thinking, there are somethings I think most adults consider their everyday kit, shoes that match the belt, cellphone, cards and some cash, watch, etc.
Growing up and later, in adulthood, I was used to my friends and family all owning rifles and pistols, though I was always "meh" to concealed carry, wasn't against it but also wasn't sure it was anything Id really bother with, well now as I'm a little older than I once was and looking around I'd say it really should be part of your everyday kit as an adult, like carrying a fire extinguisher and basic first aid in your car, carrying could not only save you and yours,l but quite possibly someone else too.

Decent site on the differences between states

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html#

Last edited:
If you haven't done so, go take a defensive handgun class. One where you actually have to draw a concealed pistol, and shoot at human shaped target while simultaneously trying to move to safety (assume the bg is armed too). Also, to use a gun effectively, you have to train constantly. It is a very perishable skill, like flying instruments.

When I was competing (https://uspsa.org), I shot more than a thousand rounds of ammo per week, just in practice. Matches were another 300-500 rounds. That was a lot of late night reloading sessions.

If Red Dawn, or the zombie apocalypse happen, I'll be ready. But, so far I haven't run into a situation yet where I really needed a gun and didn't have one.

Not trying to talk anyone out of "carrying". Just asking that you do so responsibly.

If Red Dawn, or the zombie apocalypse happen, I'll be ready. But, so far I haven't run into a situation yet where I really needed a gun and didn't have one.
You don't frequent south Seattle much

If you haven't done so, go take a defensive handgun class. One where you actually have to draw a concealed pistol, and shoot at human shaped target while simultaneously trying to move to safety (assume the bg is armed too). Also, to use a gun effectively, you have to train constantly. It is a very perishable skill, like flying instruments.

When I was competing (https://uspsa.org), I shot more than a thousand rounds of ammo per week, just in practice. Matches were another 300-500 rounds. That was a lot of late night reloading sessions.

Not trying to talk anyone out of "carrying". Just asking that you do so responsibly.

In the winter dry firing or using a laser ammo practice system can help too.

Seems like the need (perhaps desire) to add a weapon to your daily attire would be highly dependent on your location and comfort with said location. I can’t imagine needing one in my sleepy suburb, nor in most of the areas I routinely visit (DFW has a few rough spots but I just steer clear).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the need (perhaps desire) to add a weapon to your daily attire would be highly dependent on your location and comfort with said location. I can’t imagine needing one in my sleepy suburb, nor in most of the areas I routinely visit (DFW has a few rough spots but I just steer clear).

Ya never know. Years ago here two middle age women evidently got into a bit of road rage commuting home from work on I-65 south of Birmingham. They get to the sleepy suburb and exit the interstate. At the traffic light the car in front woman gets out of her car and walks back to the other woman's car behind hers. As she approaches to say her piece as the other woman pulls her gun and shoots the woman. Dead. A couple kids and husband without a mom and wife.

Ya never know. Years ago here two middle age women evidently got into a bit of road rage commuting home from work on I-65 south of Birmingham. They get to the sleepy suburb and exit the interstate. At the traffic light the car in front woman gets out of her car and walks back to the other woman's car behind hers. As she approaches to say her piece as the other woman pulls her gun and shoots the woman. Dead. A couple kids and husband without a mom and wife.

Some times ya just gotta know when to STFU

Shouldn't have aggressively gotten out of the car.
Sure as heck not to approach someone's else in their car, hopefully the she didn't pass on her judgement skills to her kids.

Road rage....code word for stupid animals fighting each other.

Shouldn't have aggressively gotten out of the car.
Sure as heck not to approach someone's else in their car, hopefully the she didn't pass on her judgement skills to her kids.

Road rage....code word for stupid animals fighting each other.

I agree it was stupid on her part, and she, well they both paid for it. One with her life, the other jail time. This was many years ago and would probably be looked at differently now, plus Alabama is a carry state.

Judging from the demographics presented by Wikipedia, Tumwater (population 17,637) isn't a place where one would expect a violent multiple location carjacking to take place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumwater,_Washington

I've resisted the urge to carry for 20 years because Plano is pretty safe and I don't spend any time in Dallas. Lately I've been rethinking that.

I'm probably going to go to the range a few times to knock off the rust, and start carrying my .380. While some think a .380 isn't enough defense, it will perform sufficiently well in the close quarters situations that make up the majority of deadly force confrontations.

Everyone I know who carries is extremely serious about it and trains well. Many aren’t law enforcement but do carry for their jobs, which is an interesting legal mess and they’ve studied it carefully. Usually with some multi-millionaire’s lawyers who are retained for their use if ever needed, too.

Some are ex-law enforcement. They get a better deal than all other Citizens with mostly consistent carry laws nationwide, just as all Citizens should have. LEOSA essentially says some Citizens better than others.

Not one of them talks openly about it. Talking about it provides a tactical advantage to anyone intent on harming them. You’d never ever know they carry.

They’re definitely not online, trading “EDC” photos of their tacti-cool pistols and knives next to their wallets and keys.

And I don’t even mind those folks, put whatever you like online.

But the quiet ones put them on every day like they put on their belt, shoes, socks, and underwear, and go about their day. Sometimes two.

I know of at least four women who carry and you’d never know it. The ladies have much more interesting concealment equipment than the dudes. (Yes, there are holster bras. And yes, they’re impressively good at hiding a firearm.)

Once you’ve had some training, carry is pretty easy to spot, if you have the eye for it. Not always. But a lot more people are carrying than most people probably would believe.

The law states that no law enforcement officer is required to defend you, ever. It’s been to SCOTUS numerous times and always upheld. Some are kind enough to do it while working to apprehend criminals, but they literally don’t have to.

If you’re a Citizen you automatically enjoy the natural right to self-defense already, and a specific prohibition against the government removing your weapons, so there’s really no need for laws mandating law enforcement defend you. That’s just the reality of it in the eyes of our law.

Our laws for non-Citizen residents or not, are fairly crappy. For the most part we treat them poorly considering our law enforcement isn’t required to defend them, and often they can’t legally defend themselves. With a number of friends who are not U.S. Citizens I’ve always generally been against how we treat visitors in this regard.

The biggest risk most run when carrying is having to defend oneself in a district or jurisdiction where a particular political party sponsored the DAs bid for office. Obviously. Some will happily turn your near death into their personal political gain.

And of course the expense of defending Civil suits against crazy family members who will swear the criminal was a “good boy” ... who went to church every Sunday on his pink bicycle, and helped little old ladies across the street... who just happened to be shooting people in public during a robbery.

I don't believe I could take a life over material things, but scare me bad enough, see what happens.

I have no desire to make political arguments with the following. I don't support or denigrate any particular group or ideaology with these comments. I challenge any other posters to do the same, and prevent the thread from being shut down.

Here in Texas, we are fortunate the laws do not interfere with the ability of responsible legal carry. Violations of gun laws, improper situational use of a weapon, or commission of crimes by Texas concealed carry licensees are almost nonexistent. The Texas DPS publishes these statistics annually. Concealed (and now legal open) carriers in Texas follow the law, just like their counterparts in other states.

In spite of this, permit holders are routinely vilified and caricaturized as irresponsible people that have NRA alters in their homes. The attack upon legal gun rights mystifies me, as the criminal element is responsible for almost all gun crimes.

I wish to point out something that is a well kept secret. The 1968 Gun Control Act was made law in the aftermath of the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy.

There is a section of the GCA which clearly codifies the legal penalties for certain gun crimes. The law states that anyone who uses a handgun in the commission of a felony is guilty of violating the Gun Control Act statutes. The penalties vary from five to ten years.

The statute is just a few paragraphs out of many pages of the Act. However, the definitions and parameters of what constitutes violation of the law are simple and straightforward. It is completely uncomplicated.

Using a handgun while committing a state or federal felony offense results in five to ten. It couldn't be more simple or direct. The conviction of a gun carrying offender of the underlying felony provides irrefutable evidence of guilt. But this law is almost never enforced. Never. Why is that? Why has this simple tool which would remove violent criminals from the streets ignored?

I'm curious. How many of you have never heard of the 1968 Gun Control Act? How many of you were unaware the portion of the Act I describe above existed? Would you support the strict enforcement of the law by federal prosecutors and courts?

In my mind, it is a tragedy this fifty year old law has never been enforced. If it had been, the entire curve of gun violence and death in this country would have been radically altered. That ship, however, sailed long ago.

Judging from the demographics presented by Wikipedia, Tumwater (population 17,637) isn't a place where one would expect a violent multiple location carjacking to take place.
Tumwater doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's adjacent to state capital Olympia, parts of which are a little weird. Tumwater is best known as the former home of the Olympia ("It's the water") brewery.

As someone much more learned than myself has stated : "It's not about the odds. It's about the stakes."

The statute is just a few paragraphs out of many pages of the Act.

There's part of the rub. Would the ENTIRE Act be enforced 100%, and what's in the rest of it?

Frankly, the fastest way to get people to realize laws are completely out of control, would simply be to enforce all of them on the books, 100%, 100% of the time.

They'd probably start hanging politicians in the street within a week. I'd take the over on a week. If someone else wants into the bet pool, they might say sooner or a little later.

Tumwater doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's adjacent to state capital Olympia, parts of which are a little weird. Tumwater is best known as the former home of the Olympia ("It's the water") brewery.

"A little weird"??? Just a little? I live in the county, just outside the city limits. Weird doesn't begin to describe some of the denizens of downtown Olympia. And, the politics of the area speak for themselves. It's a company town, and the company is the state government. Needless to say, the majority keep voting in politicians who think that growing government is a good thing.

... Concealed (and now legal open) carriers in Texas follow the law, just like their counterparts in other states...

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here, and I'd question where you are getting your statistics. In my state (Michigan) gun crime by legal concealed-weapon holders is VERY common. As a personal example, I'm a detective in a Detroit suburb city, population just under 100K. I keep track of my case vs charge rate for the cases I am assigned, as well as my department keeps track for all detectives. Our city's CPL holders / visiting CPL holders currently make up about 40% of our gun-related charges. My own statistics for the past 5 years are actually slightly higher (45%). I believe that the biggest reason for this is that if you are legally carrying, but involved in OTHER illegal activities (felonies) in Michigan, you are also committing a gun crime (the crime is called "committing a felony while in possession of a firearm"). Where I see this most commonly is a CPL holder having illegal narcotics...but we do get our share of felonious assaults by CPL holders as well (pointing their gun at someone that isn't a threat, for example).

I believe that being able to carry a concealed weapon is a right, and I don't want to see that right infringed, but I also believe that many people who exercise that right probably shouldn't...

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here, and I'd question where you are getting your statistics. In my state (Michigan) gun crime by legal concealed-weapon holders is VERY common. As a personal example, I'm a detective in a Detroit suburb city, population just under 100K. I keep track of my case vs charge rate for the cases I am assigned, as well as my department keeps track for all detectives. Our city's CPL holders / visiting CPL holders currently make up about 40% of our gun-related charges. My own statistics for the past 5 years are actually slightly higher (45%). I believe that the biggest reason for this is that if you are legally carrying, but involved in OTHER illegal activities (felonies) in Michigan, you are also committing a gun crime (the crime is called "committing a felony while in possession of a firearm"). Where I see this most commonly is a CPL holder having illegal narcotics...but we do get our share of felonious assaults by CPL holders as well (pointing their gun at someone that isn't a threat, for example).

I believe that being able to carry a concealed weapon is a right, and I don't want to see that right infringed, but I also believe that many people who exercise that right probably shouldn't...

Seeing how to get a concealed in most states you need to pass a background check, I find your stats go completely against logic as well as national trends.

That is unless you are not talking real crime and more revenue generation and police job protection type "crimes"

Also having a gun charge for anyone who commits pizz ant crimes but happens to be carrying sounds like BS.

Seeing how to get a concealed in most states you need to pass a background check, I find your stats go completely against logic as well as national trends.

That is unless you are not talking real crime and more revenue generation and police job protection type "crimes"

Also having a gun charge for anyone who commits pizz ant crimes but happens to be carrying sounds like BS.
LOL, yeah, those silly "possession of heroin" or "possession of cocaine" laws while possessing a firearm...they are a real "racket" for me...in fact, if I get charges in just two more, I win a toaster.

LOL, yeah, those silly "possession of heroin" or "possession of cocaine" laws while possessing a firearm...they are a real "racket" for me...in fact, if I get charges in just two more, I win a toaster.

Frankly the war on drugs is a joke, as are the people who make a living off it. But I was also talking about stupid traffic stuff and the like.

That said crimes of any kind by CCWs are super low, as people who don't care about the law logically wouldn't bother with the hoops to become a lawfully carry, looking here it seems you don't know crime in your own state, or you're just being deceptive as many anti gun police seem to default.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/conceal...cealed-carry-permit-holders-crime-statistics/

Read On Killing by David Grossman and you will figure out why most the gun packing NRA types are unlikely to shoot anyone when the need arises.

Frankly the war on drugs is a joke, as are the people who make a living off it. But I was also talking about stupid traffic stuff and the like.

That said crimes of any kind by CCWs are super low, as people who don't care about the law logically wouldn't bother with the hoops to become a lawfully carry, looking here it seems you don't know crime in your own state, or you're just being deceptive as many anti gun police seem to default.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/conceal...cealed-carry-permit-holders-crime-statistics/
I don't think the statistics you quoted necessarily contradict mine...I never said that a large percentage of our total percentage of CPL holders commit crime...I said a large percentage (40-45%) of our gun crime is CPL holders. Fortunately, I work in an upper-middle class community with low overall crime, for all crime types and classes. In the city I work we get between 100-200 gun charges a year. My point is that we are seeing CPL holders getting themselves in further trouble for having a gun.
And perhaps you thought I was BS-ing about saying that carrying is your right, and since Clip4 mentioned NRA: I'm an NRA member to help protect that right as well.

Oh and I should add...we have had 1, and only 1, citizen use their legally possessed firearm to legally shoot someone in the 27 years I've worked for this city...so you can compare the 50-75 or so CPL holders per year that charged for having a gun when they shouldn't, vs the one that actually used the gun as they needed...

Oh and I should add...we have had 1, and only 1, citizen use their legally possessed firearm to legally shoot someone in the 27 years I've worked for this city...so you can compare the 50-75 or so CPL holders per year that charged for having a gun when they shouldn't, vs the one that actually used the gun as they needed...

Lol

How many people on average do your police shoot? If they aren't shooting people why bother having their pistols?

How many crimes have been stopped or never occurred because of the presence of the firearm. Come on with all that, you know these things.

Last edited:
Lol

How many people on average do your police shoot? If they sent shooting people why bother having their pistols?

How many crimes have been stopped or never balled because of the presence of the firearm. Come on with all that, you know these things.
Our officers have shot quite a few, actually...as far as CPL holders preventing crime? More than a few I'm sure. As I've said (and keep saying) I think concealed carry is everyone's right. I encourage it, actually...both my parents have CPLs...I just include the warning that CPL holders are routinely getting themselves in trouble too. And "law abiding" or not (at least as far as their lack of felony record is concerned), many really should ask themselves if they should be carrying. As a matter of fact, I have two firearm cases at the prosecutors office right now (out of 9 total cases) that both involve CPL holders. I know one for sure will be charged...the other probably won't but his friend will (I can't discuss details but the CPL holder's gun is getting his friend in trouble).

I'd be curious to know what percentage of LEOs support citizens carrying (concealed or open). I'd venture to guess there are quite a few who don't like it.

I believe only LEOs and military should be allowed to carry. :stirpot:

JUST KIDDING! I've had my CCW for years, but I don't actually own a hand gun lol. My wife does tho. I fight all crime with my bare hands.

Detroit - land of opportunity and freedom. The hipsters are revitalizing Detroit one coffee shop at a time. Amen.

Our officers have shot quite a few, actually...as far as CPL holders preventing crime? More than a few I'm sure. As I've said (and keep saying) I think concealed carry is everyone's right. I encourage it, actually...both my parents have CPLs...I just include the warning that CPL holders are routinely getting themselves in trouble too. And "law abiding" or not (at least as far as their lack of felony record is concerned), many really should ask themselves if they should be carrying. As a matter of fact, I have two firearm cases at the prosecutors office right now (out of 9 total cases) that both involve CPL holders. I know one for sure will be charged...the other probably won't but his friend will (I can't discuss details but the CPL holder's gun is getting his friend in trouble).

You can't support it that much if you're putting charges on people for these add on gotchas

You can't support it that much if you're putting charges on people for these add on gotchas
Sigh, james, you're a broken record....you mean "gotchas" like pointing your gun, from your car to the driver of another car, during a verbal argument/traffic altercation? Or having a gun while violating those pesky heroin laws?

Found this interesting:

"When the Texas and Florida data is combined it shows that CCW permit holders are convicted of felonies and misdemeanors at a rate of 2.4 per 100,000. While among police the rate is 16.5 per 100,000 officers."

The police committing more crimes than the CCW holders? Whaaaaa

Nah. If I thought I needed to carry a gun to go somewhere, I wouldn't go.

The crime rate is down considerably since its peak in the 90's.

Sigh, james, you're a broken record....you mean "gotchas" like pointing your gun, from your car to the driver of another car, during a verbal argument/traffic altercation? Or having a gun while violating those pesky heroin laws?

I'm talking about putting a gun charge on someone who didn't use (or point with) their gun for said "crime".

And yes, heroin "laws" are BS, because it's 100% legit to buy it from someone in a white coat who gets it from a supplier in a lab, who rebrands it oxycodone, that's fine.

Now buy it from a person who doesn't wear a white coat, from someone who didn't make it in a lab, and you're criminal scum.

Yeah that makes perfect sense lol

Found this interesting:

"When the Texas and Florida data is combined it shows that CCW permit holders are convicted of felonies and misdemeanors at a rate of 2.4 per 100,000. While among police the rate is 16.5 per 100,000 officers."

The police committing more crimes than the CCW holders? Whaaaaa

Sadly not a huge surprise

Back