Newbie Advise

Pittdog

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pittdog
I've been lurking around the site for a couple weeks reading as much as I can and I'm looking for some advise.

A little about me. I've always wanted to learn to fly but never thought about actually doing it. Recently I've been flying on a Mitsubishi MU-2 for work. I've spoken with the FBO we use and I've decided I'm going to start lesson in early spring. I wish I could start now but working 80 hour weeks right now leaves no spare time. The nice thing about that is I'm banking all the OT so I'll be able to do 2-3 lessons a week.

My question is would it be a good idea to start studying now? I was thinking of getting a copy of the Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, I was also looking at the Sporty's Study Buddy app. Would it benefit me or put me at a disadvantage when it comes time to start structured lessons. If it matters I know the FBO follows the Cessna curriculum.

Thanks.

...this will probably end up being like 3 pages with all kinds of advice...but as a pretty newly minted PPL (got my license a year ago this month) I'd say the best advice is to use the good ol' ground school staples like the Jeppesen book to start working through the fundamentals. Definitely can't go wrong there. You also can't go wrong with Study Buddy. From about a month into my training I was doing 10 questions or so a day...right up until the exam (of course I was doing full 60 question practice exams prior to that as well). Spend the $9.99 so you get the descriptive answers.

There are different theories on when to take the exam. Some folks say get it out of the way early and others say wait until you are at the end. It depends on how good of a test taker you are and how committed you are to getting it done. Personally, I waited until I was close to my checkride to do the written so that I didn't have 8 months in between taking the exam and all the studying that goes into that and the oral portion of the checkride where you'll use a lot of that information to answer more practical questions/scenario's.

Either way, it can't hurt you to start studying the concepts and such early. Your CFI will assess where you are when you start lessons and will help guide you through any additional material that you may need or require.

Not a bad idea to take a peek at the PTS as well. Your CFI will have a syllabus based around the practical test standards for the ASEL (aircraft single engine land). This is the information that you'll be tested on in both the written and the checkride.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-14B.pdf

Good luck man!

Last edited:
My question is would it be a good idea to start studying now? I was thinking of getting a copy of the Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, I was also looking at the Sporty's Study Buddy app. Would it benefit me or put me at a disadvantage when it comes time to start structured lessons. If it matters I know the FBO follows the Cessna curriculum.

Thanks.

Those are perfect things to start! You may not understand some stuff. But learning from those books will only benefit you.

Yep, it'll save ya some money.

I'd keep away from the dry books

I've had great results with all my students using the King videos and the book "from the ground up" (US edition) as an additional in depth reference

Take the test whenever, I've had student do it before we started training, and other that did it a week before their checkride, all the same. You're ready for it when ever you can consistently average over 80% on practice tests.

Last edited:
......I was thinking of getting a copy of the Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, I was also looking at the Sporty's Study Buddy app. Would it benefit me.........

YES!!!!!

Airplane Flying Handbook and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are both available online as pdf's.

I also would recommend "Stick and Rudder" and Kershner's "Student Pilot's Flight Manual". Both are easier reads than the official FAA books.

Also subscribe to a flying magazine or three. Immerse yourself.

Anyway, good luck!

I've been lurking around the site for a couple weeks reading as much as I can and I'm looking for some advise.

A little about me. I've always wanted to learn to fly but never thought about actually doing it. Recently I've been flying on a Mitsubishi MU-2 for work. I've spoken with the FBO we use and I've decided I'm going to start lesson in early spring. I wish I could start now but working 80 hour weeks right now leaves no spare time. The nice thing about that is I'm banking all the OT so I'll be able to do 2-3 lessons a week.

Thanks.

Very good decision making on all aspects, you show promise already. You will be ahead of the game getting in the plane, you could even get you written out of the way if you are a good book learner. If you have sailing experience you will have a good foundation of knowledge. The FAA books you mention, which BTW are available as free downloads at the FAA website as are the FARs and AIM publications along with all the information you will need to pass any of their tests. If you have until spring to start, you can have developed a reasonable mastery of the knowledge contained in it. With that you will be able to pass the written and oral exams on knowledge. Don't worry too much if there are things you don't fully understand, they will become clear in the flying.

Thanks.

All the FAA stuff is pdf and free online. When you first start to read the material it will look like Greek, especially the crap on aerodynamics etc.

Don't be intimidated... Most of the FAA stuff is poorly written and dated.

None of the fun starts until you get into the air.

When you first start to read the material it will look like Greek, especially the crap on aerodynamics etc.

Nothing you've ever written leads me to believe you have read and understood anything on aerodynamics.

Most of the FAA stuff is poorly written and dated.

Nope, it is really not bad, and I don't know how flying fundamentals can be dated. Physics don't change. I assume you're all upset that they still talk about VORs.

Your plan is just fine. Others may have their own personal favorite knowledge training books, but that's a personal choice just like boxers versus briefs -- it's whatever you feel comfortable with. The PHAK is a really good starter, supplemented by the AFH as you start your flight training, and unlike the Jeppesen and other commercial books, it's free if you download it in .pdf form, as I have on my iPad.

I still use "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators", circa 1965, as a primary source.

Also online as a pdf.

It is a little light on GPS, however. :dunno:
It's pretty light on a lot of other things, too, like weather, engines, instruments, etc. Good reference for CFI's, and for advanced aerodynamics information, but not really the place to start as a new Student Pilot -- it'll just make their eyes glaze over.

Why not just purchase the Cessna Pilot Center home study package? If you want to save money, you can pick up an older CPC Cleared For Takeoff on eBay for about $50. You will need an XP machine to use it fully (compatibility mode won't work) or you can just watch the videos with VLC player. Similarly, you want to make sure it comes with the unique enrollment key if you want full use, not needed to just watch the videos. The videos comprise the lessons, the computer part is menu and testing.

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize I could download them as pdf's for free. I'm going to do that tonight.

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize I could download them as pdf's for free. I'm going to do that tonight.

They are reasonably good. The PHAK has a few physics errors and they may confuse you, but you may or may not be into that kind of detail.

Here is another free one. Read this AFTER you have digested the PHAK, as it's significantly more detailed on the dynamics, especially on the aerodynamics.

http://www.av8n.com

I'm also a huge fan of Rod Machado's books, as I've seen him explain some rather complex things simply, a skill wildly lacking in this field. They are not free, even kinda expensive. But he explains gyroscopic precession in half a page, far better than several standard physics textbooks can in a whole chapter. His humor is not for everyone. Lots of groaner jokes.

Agreed.

The point I was making was that dated does not mean bad or irrelevant.
True indeed -- "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics, Captain!" But the "See How It Flies" website linked above may be easier for someone without calculus-level math skills to understand in their search for fundamental aerodynamics knowledge.

Last edited:
I started studying on my own before I began flight lessons. I took the test after I had been flying a month or two, and got a high score, I'm happy to say.

I will assert that some of the principles were easier to understand once I'd been in the cockpit... but I certainly didn't regret the time I spend with my head in the books ahead of time.

For what its worth my instructor wanted me to take the written before my solo.

Passing the PPL written just before solo has been a long-time milestone for years.

Also, I recommend getting into a formal instructor-led ground school with all the graphic training aids. It will give you the advantage of having instant answers from your instructor. Trust me, at times you will become stumped and having an instructor handy is worth the money.

Good luck. You're in for a lot of fun.

First welcome,it's always good to start reading before ,getting to deal into your flying. The more you understand as you start your training ,the better. I always liked reading stick and rudder. I like the gloom books ,but that's only a personal choice.. Good luck.

Back