New Alaskan Pilot With Questions

tylerkhn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tyler K.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and am new to flying. Let me tell you a little about my background before I get to my questions.

I'm in the Air Force stationed at JBER in Anchorage, AK. I took ground school at University of Alaska Anchorage. I didn't do to well in that class because of conflicting shift schedule and being deployed. I have yet to fly loggable hours. So here's where I'm having some questions.

Is there anybody, in the Anchorage area or up in the valley, that is CFI that would be willing to instruct at my own pace? I ask this because a lot of the flight schools I've looked at, you fly on their schedule, and being in the military I can't be on a reocurring schedule. Ex: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 1500-1700.

This is more or less for you GI's out there, does the MGIB or Post 9/11 cover your PPL? I know it covers additional ratings, but can't find if it covers PPL or not.

And this is me dreaming, but is it practical to start a flight training school/flight seeing/maintenance shop in this economy? I'm a F-22 and C-17 mechanic, and I am working on my A&P right now. I am hoping to still be in Alaska when my enlistment is up. I understand initial investments, overhead costs, etc. I figured that being in Alaska, you could offer flightseeing services on top of flight training and maintenance.

Any experience/links/information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

You'll still need a commercial to do flight seeing flights its a long journey

Does Elmendorf still have an active Aero Club? I know that many of the clubs on active bases have had to shut down, just didn't know if that would be an option for you.

Welcome to POA. Does your base have a flying club? Many do. I am ex-Navy btw. You cannot get your PPL with GI Bill as teh VA does nto consider that to be career oriented. Instrument on but at a VA certified part 141 school with a formal curriculum.

I am sure there are CFI's around that would teach you ground school one on one which I am assuming you mean, but it would be very expensive. Without going to a formal ground school like you did, the best method is self study and online practice tests to get through the written exam.

Also, last I heard, many Air Force base aero clubs were part 141 schools. Not so on the Navy side for some reason.

I hope this helps.

David

Last edited:
Back