Neuropsychological Tests

PidgeonNY

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PidgeonNY
Hey everyone,

I posted earlier looking for Neurophysiologists in the NY area and I thank you for all the comments and the help I received. I received a letter from FAA requesting additional information in order to approve (hopefully not deny) my 1st class medical, to make the story short I am HIV positive and it's my first time applying, I has always been my dream to fly and at my 37 years I decided to finally do it.

Just to expose a little about my experience, there is only 3 neurophysiologists recognized by the FAA in the New York City and close surrounding areas which are nearly impossible to connect with. I was on a rush to fulfill the requirements for the enrolling in the school (they accepted me with the certification that the AME sent the regular exams), I also accepted a loan for my classes and for those who don't know the interests are up the roof, I am also a resident so I had to go through TSA clearance and this has an expiration date, luckily the FAA knows all the doctors have waiting lists so they grant extensions to send the results.

All the doctors that I contacted, even further north in the state a side from, don't perform the CogScreen anymore so I have to go through the battery of tests that the FAA has listed on their secure portal. I was able to get an appointed for this month and I hope I do good in the test, they say you don't need preparation but who know.

All the fees were really high from $4000 as base up to $5300.

If any of you has any information or tips for the tests I would be really grateful!

I will also keep the feed posted on any information for anyone in the future that has questions about this particular issue. This a sensitive subject with a lot of stigma and a very personal.

Thank you!

Last edited:
If any of you has any information or tips for the tests I would be really grateful!
I was required to take the full neuropsych battery in 2020 to pass my 3rd class. The best advice I got was from my HIMS neuropsych who said "get a good nights' sleep the night before and make sure to have breakfast."

I did a write up on the testing back then but basically it boiled down to if you don't have ADD/ADHD and you're mildly intelligent, you'll probably do just fine.

I am taking the full battery as neither of the doctors perform the cogscreen.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the full battery included the cogscreen?
Or did you mean to say that neither of the doctors will perform the cogscreen as a one-off?

Are there any instances where the FAA would make you take the cogscreen twice? I took it once already, passed, but now have to undergo an "updated neuropsychological evaluation in accordance with the ADHD protocol." I have no idea where the ADHD protocol came from as that was not the reason for the deferral.

why is the FAA requiring the cogscreen or battery for HIV positive diagnosis ? there must be something else. . .

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the full battery included the cogscreen?
Or did you mean to say that neither of the doctors will perform the cogscreen as a one-off?

I did the full battery, and the cog screen was performed.

My advice — eat and sleep well. Also, start exercising if you’re not already. Play brain games. Try to get your mind and body in shape.

Go to a doctor that isn’t just winging these things, or sending in an assistant to read you the directions.

You’re allowed to talk to yourself during the cogscreen. This is huge. Do it.

why is the FAA requiring the cogscreen or battery for HIV positive diagnosis ? there must be something else. . .

Seems like it’s part of the protocol.

At least one FAA study claims they have observed statistically significant higher rates of neurocognitive decline in HIV positive patients, but the literature on this is mixed as other studies cited in this study found no significant relationship between neruocognitive decline and HIV. Furthermore the FAA study didn’t find any significant decline associated with age as a comorbidity so that sort of puts the entire dataset in question IMO…

Back