Need YAK 52 advice.

travalab

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
travalab
Im looking to buy a Yak 52. The plane is located in Tenn. I am in Ma. Thats the first concern, I have never owned an aircraft before and I am not sure how to go about buying, more so when its so far away. I was also hoping that I could find someone local to train me in the thing and give advice on how to maintain it. Also I am assuming I will need a 3rd party to inspect it before I make an offer/go see it personally. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to any knowledge I will receive!

Thanks
Travis

Ummmm......

If you're serious, I'd start by taking lessons in something like a C-172. I think the Yak 52 is going to be a bit much for a first time student.

I have my PPL, granted I only have 60hrs. Im not a total newbie.

lol I know Im a newbie I was just pointing out that I have been in a cockpit before.

You should hook up with your local IAC chapter, there are some good people up in your area. www.iac.org

There are a number of Yak pilots in the US that you can go to for training, however since it's an experimental exhibition, it can't be used in a commercial operation. The IAC will hook you up.

As far as insurance, I highly suggest contacting Northwest Insurance Group, www.nwinsurance.net, they have good programs for aerobatic airplanes.

Last edited:
Hit send too soon...

And you will want to talk to an insurance broker before buying the airplane since you are low hours. You will take a hit.

The -52 is considered a high performance and complex aircraft. Not to mention the radial engine. While it was designed specifically for the neophyte, the insurance companies look at it differently.

I figured I would get hit on the insurance. I requested a quote from a couple of places online. I will call the people at the Northwest Insurance Group tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Travis

Just out of curiosity.... Why do you want a Yak? Interesting choice.... Planning to get into aerobatics?

Just out of curiosity.... Why do you want a Yak? Interesting choice.... Planning to get into aerobatics?

I do want to get into aerobatics, the price is right, and I just kind of like the look, sound, and feel of the plane.

Check out this web site:
http://www.russianaeros.com/yak52product.htm. It discusses the mandatory ASBs that are important for it.

I have a friend who has one and another who has a suhkhoi 29. The suk is for sale in Georgetown, TX and has been well maintained... I've helped :) and I've flown it. The owner would be happy to train you in the suk. If you want contact info for either of the guys let me know. The yak is a single seat one though so he couldn't train you in it.

PS. You might want to get some basic acro training in something less powerful like a decathlon or citabria so you have some experience for what it's like to be upside down before you buy a frothing Rusky plane......

PS. You might want to get some basic acro training in something less powerful like a decathlon or citabria so you have some experience for what it's like to be upside down before you buy a frothing Rusky plane......

Thanks for the link. Actually its funny you say that because I am starting basic acro training in a Citabria this weekend.

Excellent! Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Once you get past the intro basic part if you still like it and want to continue, ask the CFI to show you botched maneuver recoveries.... Don't ask me how I know. <wink wink nod nod>>

There is a huge difference in performance between an SU 29 and a Yak 52. The 52 is heavy, slow, and the tricycle gear adds even more weight. Maintaining any of these round engines takes time and knowledge. It is more lke a T-6 while the SU29 is more like an Extra or Edge.

The four Vendenyeyev engines on our field are either owned by pilot mechanics, or the mechanics are always working on them. They all take a lot more maintenance than your average Lycoming or Continental.

The 52 is not going to be a lot harder than any high performance complex plane, but the TW version would take some training, like any high powered taildragger.

Thanks for all the advice. Is there anyone in the Limestone Tn. area that could do a pre buy inspection for me?

Back