Need help planning a trip

GoFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GoFly
We live in Southeast Ga and want to see the western US. The only things on our must see list are Rushmore and Monument valley. Yes, those are quite a ways apart. Other than the largest ball of twine, what are some other points of interest to see along the way. Also, any tips for flying in the desert southwest? We will be in a RV8

Howzabout the Grand Canyon, Devil's Tower, California Redwoods, Rocky Mtn Natl Park, Great Salt Lake

Two great destinations. My advice would be to line up sights along the way. Some things just warrant a ‘fly-by’, no need for a vehicle & ground transportation. Just give them 2001’ minimum AGL.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0498.png
    IMG_0498.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Fly west, young man...

I have flown over Monument Valley a few times, but I look forward to taking a guided tour on the ground there. Just something to think about.

There really is a statute of a man standin' on the corner in Winslow Arizona...

When are ya goin'.?? The air is just a tad bumpy now until September or so.

Don’t really have a departure date. May wait until next spring, but it never hurts to plan way ahead

Good call on waiting. Give you time if nothing else to get even more IFR proficient, get the plane in top shape, etc.

RK911 has a good list started. Let mt add to that....
Maybe stop by Nashville along the way, and then spend a day in St. Louis, see the Arch, etc. Head north, north west for Mt. Rushmore. Then to Montana / Glacier National Park. South and stay a few days in Denver. Try for Joshua Tree National Park. Santa Fe would be a nice layover for a few days. Donner's Pass - well, maybe skip that one......

There is the Mitchell Corn Palace and Wall Drug in South Dakota if you like that type of attraction.

All good suggestions. Probably will stay east of the Rockies as much as possible. Went up in the arch many years ago, but would like to share the experience with MsGoFly

Reactions: WDD
Have any of you landed near monument valley, and if so, are there accommodations and fuel?

If you go to the Grand Canyon, visit both rims. I preferred the North Rim, and we did the mule ride there.

Rushmore was nice, but anticlimactic after the canyon.

Also try Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP.

In Arizona, ya gotta visit The Corner in Winslow.

Early morning flights not longer than 4 hours duration. Get centrally located and rent a car for a few days, then fly to next stop. From Kanab, you can visit Lake Powell, Zion, Grand Canyon(North Rim) Bryce Canyon, each an easy day trip by car. Mostly VFR, IFR only to get out or into mild IFR conditions. Flexibility as much as possible. Every year at this time I fly from West texas to San Juan Islands via either California coast, direct or East of the Rockies, stopping along the way to see a different sight each trip. I fly a C172 so I’m in no rush.

Fly over meteor crater - best seen from the air anyhow. - between Flagstaff and Winslow.

As long as you’re down there, think about Sedona as well. Again - best seen from the air.

Back