Need help for get away weekend

MyassisDragon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Fred
Ok friends I need a little help here.
Next weekend of the 26th is both birthday weekend for me and my wife and I am looking for something memorable to do within a few hour flight.

I am from Michigan so we were planning to fly to Mackinac Island and do the opening weekend at the Gran Hotel, which is neat and all, but it looks like there is still snow on the ground and 50 degree weather scheduled. So I am thinking south, like the blue ridge mountains?

I can get to Huntington WV in 2-1/2 hours so this would be ok (closer would be better) .

So my question is: are there any cool fly in resorts in near Kentucky or west Virginia (where its warmer) we should look at (fly in friday, fly out sunday?)

I am planning on leaving Friday afternoon around 4:00 from michigan and would like to land before sunset somewhere.

There's WV62 that I was telling you about. Joe should let you use the resort car and you can go check out Blackwater Falls and the Canaan Valley.

but it looks like there is still snow on the ground and 50 degree weather scheduled. So I am thinking south, like the blue ridge mountains?

Do check the weather before heading to the SE mountains. The weather is quite variable this time of year. It would be 25*F with snow on the ground, it could be sunny and 75*F.

We do a yearly motorcycle ride in the NC mountains the 1st weekend of May every year, there have been some years where I've had to ride in the snow.

How much do you want to spend? The Homestead Resort and The Greenbrier are both very nice, but will probably cost you more than an AMU for two nights. It will be memorable, though.

Blackwater Falls is a great park, but you might want to check out the Greenbrier resort near KLWB in West Virginia if you are looking for more of a resort experience. The Greenbrier is one of the fabulous old railroad resorts that has changed into private ownership and has been restored to is glory days. Check it out at http://www.greenbrier.com/.

VG18 in the mountains of Virginia is another option if you want a more active destination. It is another ski resort in the winter, but they use the ski area for zip line adventures and mountain biking the rest of the year. The airport shows up on the charts as a private strip, but they are open to the public just as WV62 is. The restaurant at VG18 is OK, but nowhere near as elegant as the dining options at the Greenbrier. You can check out their offerings at http://www.bryceresort.com/Home.aspx Information on the airport at Bryce is available as a link on the bottom of their home webpage. Look for the airport link in small print.

Enjoy your weekend wherever you decide to go!

Thanks for the ideas so far, I will take a closer look at the options when I get home tonight. I will be taking a grumman Tiger for that weekend so that puts most of the options at a 3 hour flight and since its for the wife's birthday weekend, she may want something closer, so we will probably be back to the cold north.

Maybe I can convince her that the "Great lakes meet up" would be a good birthday experience. :goofy:

Make sure you go somewhere that has good salads.

Musta been the yellow one, because I could have taken another 200lbs!

Back