Navy Grounds P-3 Planes

Wow, that's no good. At least the guys at Navy Brunswick are going to have something to do for the next few weeks.

There's a lot of P-3s here at NAS Jax. Can't find anything on whether they're affected.

Here's the P-8A Poseidon mentioned as the P-3's replacement. It's a 737-800 variant.

MSF06-1491-02.jpg

The P3s have had cracks in the wing for years and the Navy has been montering them. The T-56 produces ultra freq vibs that harden the wing spar.

the rumor is.

no money to fix, and the P-8 contract is on hold for money.

That's the skuttlebutt around the chiefs club.

There's a lot of P-3s here at NAS Jax. Can't find anything on whether they're affected.

Here's the P-8A Poseidon mentioned as the P-3's replacement. It's a 737-800 variant.

From what I hear, NAS Jax is getting a lot of the P-3s from NAS Brunswick as they're preparing to shut down NASB in 2010.

From what I hear, NAS Jax is getting a lot of the P-3s from NAS Brunswick as they're preparing to shut down NASB in 2010.

that's true. the NAS has been given to the public and will become a reagonal airport.

we here at NAS Whidbey have a few of the aircraft and all the retrospare engines setting in prezervation behind the Fleet repair center. (no money or or use for them)

The P8 can in no way no how match the P3's max duration for patrol. I guess we are now just totally dependent on air-air refueling. Sigh.

The P8 can in no way no how match the P3's max duration for patrol. I guess we are now just totally dependent on air-air refueling. Sigh.

Satellites Bruce, no need to use aircraft any more, the P-3 roll is no longer sub hunter, It's now all about Intel gathering.

Satellites Bruce, no need to use aircraft any more, the P-3 roll is no longer sub hunter, It's now all about Intel gathering.
That's supposedly the case with the S-3 as well. They are no called "Sea Control Squadrons."

True.

But, as a kid on the back of a lobster boat, about 30 miles off the coast of ME, it was REALLY, REALLY F-N COOL to watch a P3 come over the water 50' or so off the deck blowing along at god-knows-what-speed. I don't care what the P8 is for, it won't be as cool to see a 737 doing that :no:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Are the Whidbey P-3s the ones always doing touch and goes and KBFI?

I almost got turned over by the wake turbulence from one of those.

~ Christopher

~ Christopher
Quite possible. I didn't know they went down there. I was in an A-6 squadron at the time. A buddy at the ham shack was an AT on the P-3 at Whidbey Island.

True.

But, as a kid on the back of a lobster boat, about 30 miles off the coast of ME, it was REALLY, REALLY F-N COOL to watch a P3 come over the water 50' or so off the deck blowing along at god-knows-what-speed. I don't care what the P8 is for, it won't be as cool to see a 737 doing that :no:

Cheers,

-Andrew

One of our CAs used to fly the P-3s and has some great stories about what those planes can do...I just can't imagine the P-8 will be able to match it!

I think Tom's reference of going public was to NAS Brunswick, where 720 acres will be devoted to a General Aviation airport(no commercial stuff as relates to airlines). I don't suppose the exclusion would apply to United Parcel Service or FedEx possibilities.

HR

EDIT: and I can see that Tom clarified the matter before I had read said clarification, I having responded to the JohnR post.

Last edited:
I just found out the Navy's getting rid of Vikings, replacing them with F18s. The last squadron is on cruise now, I think with the GW. I thought the Hoover would avoid being replaced by the F18 like seemingly every other aircraft in the Navy inventory. Pretty soon they'll be using F18s for CODs!

Maybe true, Tom. I just have doubts about managing the hydrophones in bad weather from a satellite.....and someone has to put the 'phones out there.

Oh well, Uncle knows best...:eek:

My brother spent 16 years in P-3's. As far as he's concerned, there is no other aircraft. I hate to see'm go. :(

~ Christopher

I believe the ones you see landing at BFI would be the navy pilots doing their ATP check ride with the FAA DPE

They pick the DPE up some where down there.

Wasn't part of the ability of the P3 mission duration is that it can maintain flight on just two engines. Hard to consider shutting down one of the P8's engines.

Does this mean that NOAA will be grounding their P-3's as well?

Does this mean that NOAA will be grounding their P-3's as well?

The Navy has 19 aircraft that will not pass the wing beam inspection cycle. all other aircraft are flying as are all other aircraft.

Those 19 aircraft will be flown to the bone yard for scrapping. with out replacement.

The Electra design has had wing beam cracking problems from the start, due to the ultra freq vibs from the #1 & #4 engines being transmitted thru the front Spar. all aircraft were retro fitted with lord mounts setting the RGAs (Reduction Gear Assemblies) on 4 rubber mounts and hanging the power section on one top mount and a torsional mount. This almost stopped the cracking but most aircraft had already sustained hardening. and developed cracks which have been on a monitering prgram for the last 25+ years.

These old aircraft simply are not worth saving by re-winging, so the P-3 program will go away as the aircraft do.

Last edited:
Seven of ours are affected, too.

What is the role of the P-3C, and how many of the aircraft are based in Jacksonville?
The Orion is a land-based, long-range patrol plane used to hunt submarines, find and attack surface ships, lay mines, electronically and visually monitor battlefields and more. Jacksonville Naval Air Station has 30 of the planes, which equip three operational squadrons and one training squadron.

An additional 30 Orions will be transferred here from Brunswick (Maine) Naval Air Station beginning in 2009. That will make the Jacksonville base the only air station with P-3s on the East Coast.

How long must the aging P-3 be kept flying?
For about another 12 years. The P-8 Poseidon - a variant of Boeing's 737 jetliner - will replace the Orion. But the first deliveries aren't expected until 2013, and the last in 2019.

"We're gonna be flying P-3s for a while yet," Milliman said.
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/121907/met_226773034.shtml

With a lifespan from 1962 to 2019, that's like retiring the last B-17s in 1999!

Last edited:
If only my Electrolux sounded as cool. :)

No wonder they call it the Hoover. That nickname fits like a glove. I think that noise would drive me batty after awhile.

No wonder they call it the Hoover. That nickname fits like a glove. I think that noise would drive me batty after awhile.
The airwing had stickers and patches made, "War Hoover."

I need to get some more goodies from my old squadron before they fold. It's sad to see the plane go. I'm speculating some of the S-3s will be converted to full tankers since it's carrier-based.

Back