NASA shows the shuttle's big red button

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
attachment.php

Each time the space shuttle rises from its launchpad at Cape Canaveral, Fla., an Air Force officer waits anxiously for the first 2 minutes to pass safely. If the spaceship were to veer off course and endanger a populated area, this range safety officer would bear the terrible responsibility of flipping a pair of switches under a stenciled panel reading “Flight Termination.” The first switch arms explosives on the shuttle’s two solid rocket boosters. Flipping the second switch would detonate them, destroying the shuttle and crew.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4262479.html

I do remember the range safety officer had to detonate the SRBs on Challenger.

The story is scary enough, ...as I sit hear thinking about how I made two minor mistakes while having to advance 6 projects at once this week...the design of that panel is practically begging for a bad error. The Test switch and the Destruct switch should be obviously different. If nothing else move the Destruct switch further away. It should have a second cover on it or something.

Lesseeee - Arm ->Test oh, no! Not Safe->Destruct.

Just having your hands out of position.

Look at the key switch. Disable -Enable-Test. How about Disable-Test-Enable? ...Each progressively more serious.

Gawd, I hope those switches light up distinctly for each position.

I know, they train and train, call out procedures out loud...People have bad days.

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The_Big_Red_Button.aspx

Attachments

• shuttle-flight-termination-.jpg
    shuttle-flight-termination-.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Oh, and note that there's a no fly zone where a violation has that severe consequence above.

attachment.php

Attachments

• shuttle-flight-diag-0608.gif
    shuttle-flight-diag-0608.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 132
That is interesting, I am with you, maybe make the buttons a little different.

The RSO's only job is to blow things up. The buttons are only touched to destroy an errant rocket. The RSO sits over on Cape Canaveral AFS close to the building I used to work in. When I was there they had to blow one thing up, it was the first launch of the Pershing 2 missile. It was interesting to watch it 'land'

The RSO stares at a single screen and if the path of the rocket goes beyond a predefined point, BLAMO!

I know it's hindsight, but shouldn't there be a jettison option? As in blow the explosive bolts, trim up (and away), then blow the SRB after 3-5 sec giving the multi-billion dollar shuttle and crew a chance to glide?

I know it's hindsight, but shouldn't there be a jettison option? As in blow the explosive bolts, trim up (and away), then blow the SRB after 3-5 sec giving the multi-billion dollar shuttle and crew a chance to glide?
That decision is with the crew, they have several abort options. The RSO will blow the rocket if it goes out of the desired safety path. Outside that path means it WILL hit a population center.

That decision is with the crew, they have several abort options. The RSO will blow the rocket if it goes out of the desired safety path. Outside that path means it WILL hit a population center.

Obviously it'll have to be blown if it strays, but do you really expect the crew to execute all sorts of overrides while fighting time and g forces? Wouldn't it be easier for mission control to remotely separate the SRB & tank before going boom? I mean thats one heck of a responsibility to place on the RSO either way.

Last edited:

That option does exist, it's just in the Shuttle itself - The crew has control of it. Here's a picture:

attachment.php

This is in the center console between the Commander and the Pilot. The three buttons are for SSME shutdown, and below them are the ones for SRB and ET separation. The buttons do have covers on them that have to be lifted to prevent accidental separation.

Attachments

• Center console.jpg
    Center console.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 49
Obviously it'll have to be blown if it strays, but do you really expect the crew to execute all sorts of overrides while fighting time and g forces? Wouldn't it be easier for mission control to remotely separate the SRB & tank before going boom? I mean thats one heck of a responsibility to place on the RSO either way.

I think it's vital to have onboard as well as remote systems for this... if I were on that crew, I'd want the option, and I'd make damn sure I could do the procedure while pulling G.

Back