My multi and taildragger experience today

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I'm had the honor and privilege to fly a short cross country in Aluminum Overcast today. It was one of the highlights it's of my aviation life, and ranks with my first solo for the thrill of being in such a beautiful, historical aircraft.

Four of us were asked by Kurt, the president of Wings over Waukesha, to accompany this fantastic B-17's pilots and crew when this bomber repositioned from Waukesha to Springfield, Illinois.

My dad was on a B-17 base in England before the invasion, and talked his way onto a mission as a waist gunner. So I spent a good portion of the trip there.

Sitting in the nose, i could see that the bombardier had the best show in the house. Until the flack started exploding around him. To be able to control the aircraft on a bombing run, with your face pressed on the Norden bombsight, and then hitting the .50 cal machine guns to hit the Messerschmitts doing a head-on attack at the formation ..... I just sat in awe over what these men went through.

Pictures to follow.

30,000 ft over Germany, or 4,500 ft MSL over Illinois? :dunno:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 36
Extremely jealous of your adventure,have walked through the 17 can't imagine what fun it would be to ride along on one.nice pics.

Now that's funny right there!

Of course, the B-17 is no RV ...

Dunno about the B-17, but I have it on good authority that an empty DC-3 (empty except for some fuel and the pilots) does an incredible zoom climb at the end of a 4000 foot runway.

30,000 ft over Germany, or 4,500 ft MSL over Illinois? :dunno:

Hmmm.....being in Illinois, too bad you couldn't bomb the state politicians for not getting their fiscal act together here...just kidding.

I am looking forward to Oshkosh next year.....

BTW, I flew in the EAA Tri Motor at Oshkosh. Was lots of fun.

Back