Mountain biking or cycling near airports in SoCal

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
Hi all, I'm looking to find a couple places in Socal where I can fly with my daughter and our bikes. We'd like to bike from the airport to bike paths or mountain bike trails. Any ideas?

Oceanside airport is close to a bike path that takes you down to the beach.

El Monte is right next to the Rio Hondo Bike path. From there you can ride all the way to the coast if you wish. Flabob is across the river from the Santa Ana river trail. That goes to Corona to the west and San Bernardino to the east. Catalina has trails or you can ride into town on the "paved" road. Long climb back up though. Bracket is across the street from Bonelli park which has dirt trails. Santa Barbara has a bike path close by. It's 3 miles from Santa Monica airport to the boardwalk. From there you can ride all the way to Redondo Beach almost exclusively on bike paths. Santa Monica is my favorite because I like to ride to Venice beach and people watch.
One of these days I'm going to organize a Bike/Fly in.

Sounds great! Please do.
I'll post a survey here and on the red board to see how much interest there is and preferred destinations. My April is already pretty booked so probably sometime in May. My experience is that you need to plan these things pretty far in advance anyway.

I'll post a survey here and on the red board to see how much interest there is and preferred destinations. My April is already pretty booked so probably sometime in May. My experience is that you need to plan these things pretty far in advance anyway.

Cool. I bet we could also interest @Sac Arrow

Hi all, I'm looking to find a couple places in Socal where I can fly with my daughter and our bikes. We'd like to bike from the airport to bike paths or mountain bike trails. Any ideas?

You are about to live my dream, let us know how it works out.

I need this, but on the east coast. I found Burke,vt close to the kingdom trails.

I need this, but on the east coast. I found Burke,vt close to the kingdom trails.

Last year we flew into Caledonia and got a cab into town with our bikes in the trunk. Going to do it again this year.

Last year we flew into Caledonia and got a cab into town with our bikes in the trunk. Going to do it again this year.

Post up here if you decide to make it a trip. I only have access to a 150 now but the bike will fit if I take off the wheels and get creative.

Just a quick update to this- A month or so ago I took the rear seats out of my Cherokee and put 2 bikes in there. Flew my wife to Santa Ynez airport (KIZA) and we rode our bike about 4 miles to the town of Solvang. Had a nice lunch and walked around the town and then rode back to the airport and flew home. The bike ride was mostly on bike trail or bike lane on the road and had a few small hills- nothing terrible. It was a beautiful day and so much fun to fly and bike.

Back