Most amazing aviation billboard ever

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green

Somebody in London, please take the tube over to Piccadilly Circus and tell us if this thing is really there, or if it's just a concept video. It's on British Airways' YouTube Channel.

In a claimed world first campaign, the new British Airways #LookUp billboards in Piccadilly Circus, have some pretty cool tech behind them, allowing a simple, yet very effective story to be told.

And as British Airways planes fly over the ClearChannel digital outdoor sites through the Heathrow flight path, they trigger advertising creative showing real-time data of that plane, including destination and flight number; including a weather feed even reads the cloud height to ensure the plane is visible before showing the advert! Pretty cool huh? I’m not sure the video does it justice.

Or the angles (different people at different vantage points). Plus, he's pointing at a departing aircraft when the sign says "BA123 FROM Barcelona" Edit: I suppose it could be arriving, just looked like departing to me.

Last edited:
Particulary this time of year you wouldn't have the ceiling over there to see a lot of those planes.

I'd say concept video, no way they would be able to get the timing correct otherwise

ADSB reporting its GPS position, or even the plain old Mode S aircraft ID or flight #field. Put a receiver in the Billboard and a database connection, and you can get the timing down with the right flight number.

--Carlos V.

From the BA website:

They really do know when it’s a British Airways plane and that really is its actual flight number and the destination it's arriving from.

To make it work took quite a bit of digital wizardry, for both the poster site you might have seen in Chiswick and the video billboard at Piccadilly Circus that’s coming soon.

maybe it's just a really smart kid who knows the british airways flight schedules? :dunno: :yesnod: :wink2:

isn't there a mobile app that allows you to point your smartphone had a passenger plane overhead and it identifies who it is? Add in the ability to read the local TAF for cloud height and there is the basis of the technology necessary...

very cool though...

I think that title has to go to the Billboard that Frank Tallman flew the Beech 18 through in the movie "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

:yes::D

isn't there a mobile app that allows you to point your smartphone had a passenger plane overhead and it identifies who it is? Add in the ability to read the local TAF for cloud height and there is the basis of the technology necessary...

very cool though...

"Ask Wolfram-Alpha, overhead"

I love it... very cleaver and how advertising SHOULD be.

This is really amazing aviation billboard. Me and my friend, professional sign writer in Melbourne(company where currently work known as the name of "signage companies Melbourne").
Me looking forward stuff for my place. I found this is nice work in this billboards showing above video.
I thanks to TangoWhiskey. If he have more like this stuff. Please share with me. This is really valuable for me.

Regards,

Back