Mogas Fuel Truck?

Octane (a misnomer in its own right) doesn't change in any meaningful way. What you lose is the ease of vaporization (engine starting) and it varnishes.

Not when you add fresh fuel every couple of months. The key is not letting it sit. I have a system for keeping it fresh, I fly alot. :lol:

Last edited:
Full circle. That is the idea I started this thread with. I wonder how to find out where it could be filled. Probably not too far. This is Oklahoma, after all.

Not far at all, and in reality, if you get a 1600 gallon truck or whatever, the local fuel company you'll contract with to get rack access will deliver at the same price most likely. You may be able to set your own account with ConocoPhillips as well if you are filling that truck weekly, not sure it would be worth the hassle though unless you make a real business out of it.

It is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

There was a local radio talk show host who always ended his broadcasts with that. Last I heard, he was serving a seven year prison term.

Despite what some say, OK has pretty stiff fines, and even criminal penalties for hauling fuel on the public roads without the right paperwork.

Without getting this thread moved, I will opine that I'm shocked -- I say shocked that our resident member of the totalitarian movement would seek to circumvent a public trust and safety violation of such magnitude for a few Shekels of self benefit.

Despite what some say, OK has pretty stiff fines, and even criminal penalties for hauling fuel on the public roads without the right paperwork.

Without getting this thread moved, I will opine that I'm shocked -- I say shocked that our resident member of the totalitarian movement would seek to circumvent a public trust and safety violation of such magnitude for a few Shekels of self benefit.

Keep it under 115 gallons and you will not violate transport or hazmat laws. ;)

Keep it under 115 gallons and you will not violate transport or hazmat laws. ;)

Have them deliver to the truck on the field and you are fine as well. You can even build a containment pad for it if you want.

I remember, back in the 80's, a FBO at Torrance, CA that just had a fuel truck on the field. No tank farm or other storage. They drove it off field to get the truck refueled. I'm not sure if today's regulations would allow something like that.

If you have the right license, endorsements, insurance, and permits, it's certainly possible. The only question is whether it's worth it.

In New York, it wouldn't be wirth it unless you burn a lot of gas. Just renewing the CDL and the Haz-Mat endorsement costs ~ $600.00 by the time all is said and done, plus three trips to DMV and one to the nearest place where you can get DMV-approved fingerprints taken. Then you need to buy the insurance, which is high in NY because of the number of lawyers per capita in the state; probably obtain a NYHUT permit ($99.00 last time I checked); comply with the NYSDEC requirements for registration, tank testing, etc; and probably get a resale certificate from DTF for the taxes (unless the bulk supplier collects the taxes). There may be other requirements, as well. I downgraded my CDL a few years ago because I no longer needed it and didn't feel like paying for it, so I'm kind of out of that loop.

In New York, you'd have to save quite a bit of money on gas before breaking even on the expenses of hauling your own, so it probably wouldn't be worth bothering with. But it's certainly doable as long as you're willing to wade through the bureaucracy. I suspect the same is true anywhere in the country. You just have to compare the savings to the costs.

Rich

If you have the right license, endorsements, insurance, and permits, it's certainly possible. The only question is whether it's worth it.

In New York, it wouldn't be wirth it unless you burn a lot of gas. Just renewing the CDL and the Haz-Mat endorsement costs ~ $600.00 by the time all is said and done, plus three trips to DMV and one to the nearest place where you can get DMV-approved fingerprints taken. Then you need to buy the insurance, which is high in NY because of the number of lawyers per capita in the state; probably obtain a NYHUT permit ($99.00 last time I checked); comply with the NYSDEC requirements for registration, tank testing, etc; and probably get a resale certificate from DTF for the taxes (unless the bulk supplier collects the taxes). There may be other requirements, as well. I downgraded my CDL a few years ago because I no longer needed it and didn't feel like paying for it, so I'm kind of out of that loop.

In New York, you'd have to save quite a bit of money on gas before breaking even on the expenses of hauling your own, so it probably wouldn't be worth bothering with. But it's certainly doable as long as you're willing to wade through the bureaucracy. I suspect the same is true anywhere in the country. You just have to compare the savings to the costs.

Rich

:hairraise:....:eek:....

Remind me to NEVER set foot in New York...:no:....:nonod:

From either Torrance or Long Beach, you're only a few miles from the biggest 'rack' on the west coast. One of my partner's dad was in the gas station business so we would just fill right down the road, wasn't 3 miles to the tank farm, don't need more than tankers.

Last I worked there, the LAP rack had no facilities for retail sales, though. You'll need a contract and a customer number to get anything from it.

Of course this was also back when rack tickets were paper and key punched into the mainframe by a secretary later that day, and there was one hell of a drunken fish fry every Friday that everyone in the biz went to, no matter who they worked for. Eventually.

Traffic was usually what cancelled us from going. We were in Burbank. Burbank to Long Beach meant leaving no later than noon to be there late afternoon back then. I suspect that hasn't gotten any better. And then the drive home to the Santa Clarita Valley... You'd be home by 8PM on a good Friday.

Last I worked there, the LAP rack had no facilities for retail sales, though. You'll need a contract and a customer number to get anything from it.

Of course this was also back when rack tickets were paper and key punched into the mainframe by a secretary later that day, and there was one hell of a drunken fish fry every Friday that everyone in the biz went to, no matter who they worked for. Eventually.

Traffic was usually what cancelled us from going. We were in Burbank. Burbank to Long Beach meant leaving no later than noon to be there late afternoon back then. I suspect that hasn't gotten any better. And then the drive home to the Santa Clarita Valley... You'd be home by 8PM on a good Friday.

It's never a problem to get a contract to buy fuel, any local fuel company will be glad to work with you.

It's never a problem to get a contract to buy fuel, any local fuel company will be glad to work with you.

There are very few places where a "local fuel company"'s running "the rack".

They go TO the rack for you, and meet all the safety training, insurance, and other contractual requirements, but they don't run "the rack".

If you want a contract to pick up at "the rack" you'll be dealing with whoever runs the refinery.

Why did you change the topic?

There are very few places where a "local fuel company"'s running "the rack".

They go TO the rack for you, and meet all the safety training, insurance, and other contractual requirements, but they don't run "the rack".

If you want a contract to pick up at "the rack" you'll be dealing with whoever runs the refinery.

Why did you change the topic?

They don't run the rack, they have the purchase order/billing/payment contract. All you need to do is show up with the truck and paperwork. But like I said, they'll deliver to you as well.

They don't run the rack, they have the purchase order/billing/payment contract. All you need to do is show up with the truck and paperwork. But like I said, they'll deliver to you as well.

I thought we were talking about LAP. We didn't let non-employees/contractors run the rack back when I was there. The liability was too high. (Or said alternatively, we'd rather kill our own, if you're sarcastic like me.)

Rather than becoming a gas station. Form a co op where everyone shares the risk.

The co-op/membership concept also helps cut down on the lay public driving up and buying alcohol free gas at a road-tax free rate... which will keep outside attention off the whole operation.

You can use a portable fuel trailer to transport a local fuel supply back and forth to the field. Just make sure it is manufactured by a tank company with a DOT special permit, under 119 gallons in capacity, and made of aluminum. This will then exempt you from the federal Hazmat and CDL requirements if their special permit is setup correctly.

I drive the local FBO's fuel trucks on the streets when service of them is needed off the field. I have driven pass CHP and local police, never gave me a second look. If they do I carry CDL class A with haz mat. But the point is they don't seem to care a tanker is on the streets.

Back