Miramar airshow?

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
So, the family wants to go to MCAS Miramar for the airshow in mid October.

How insane is it to expect to find transient parking and lodging at Montgomery Field or some other nearby airport?

How about Gillespie? Easy to get in and out, not busy, and the drive to Miramar isn't that bad.

The first year it was there I watched it from my barracks. El Cajon isn't too bad a drive.

I think so. Not so busy, and you don't get the bay tour routing passing through the bravo as you might going to Montgomery.

Why would I need to go through Class B? The floor is 4800 feet over Montgomery, and I'll be arriving from the north. There must be something I don't understand.

Ah, never mind. I see it. SAN Class B has two surface areas, and Montgomery is right between them.

Maybe a bigger issue is that there is likely to be a TFR over Miramar for a day or two before the airshow starts, and Montgomery is going to be awfully close to that.

It does seem better from a marine layer perspective to go further east, but that should be greatly reduced by October.

Thanks.

Last edited:
When is the Miramar show this year? You said Oct?

If so, stay AWAY from MYF!

I just got an email last week (I keep my 170 there) that they shifted the date of the runway resurfacing to the month of Oct. The current plan calls for having 10L/28R closed for the whole month of Oct. MYF can be a real zoo and pretty ridiculous when they are doing single runway ops. Normally I like Montgomery, but would not recommend it during the runway work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When is the Miramar show this year? You said Oct?

If so, stay AWAY from MYF!

I just got an email last week (I keep my 170 there) that they shifted the date of the runway resurfacing to the month of Oct. The current plan calls for having 10L/28R closed for the whole month of Oct. MYF can be a real zoo and pretty ridiculous when they are doing single runway ops. Normally I like Montgomery, but would not recommend it during the runway work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, thanks. That's a big deal.

offer to put the airplane on the static line - fly in to Miramar Friday night - given that its a Marine Corps Air Station expect lots of rules and you might get a bottle of water. . . .

I did static display duty last year and the year prior there while I was flying out of Miramar, and all I can say is that you should plan to leave real early if you are car commuting. It is not bad until you get to the East/West gate exits of 163/15 or 805 respectively, and then it is probably an hour or more from there. Parking wasn't too bad actually, but just be prepared to walk across base. Bring water or something because it will probably be hot, especially out on the ramp watching the show. We had a bunch of free beer in coolers behind the booth which was nice, but I kept having to run into the hangar to refill my water bottle so I didn't die. Also, if you have the means, the friday night O'club party is pretty epic normally.

offer to put the airplane on the static line - fly in to Miramar Friday night - given that its a Marine Corps Air Station expect lots of rules and you might get a bottle of water. . . .

Who would possibly be interested in viewing a run-of-the-mill Archer or a butt-ugly 180 HP c172 with a big (tuned) exhaust pipe sticking out? It's an interesting thought, but there really is nothing special about these aircraft.

These are my favorite club aircraft:
n8074t_b.jpg

N6253G1.jpg
They will get me around, but they aren't much to look at. I'll probably fly the Archer if it's available, as it has an autopilot and lots of payload, and it's quite a bit faster than the 172. The 172 is better at high altitude, but that's not a factor for this trip.

Last edited:
when you were 16 and interested in flying - ANY aircraft you could touch was beyond cool . . . I used to do it all the time at Oceana with my Viking and my Comanche - the USN puts on a good spread and while all of my old squadron friends are old and fat like me the boys in the bags take care of us every year-

when you were 16 and interested in flying - ANY aircraft you could touch was beyond cool . . . I used to do it all the time at Oceana with my Viking and my Comanche - the USN puts on a good spread and while all of my old squadron friends are old and fat like me the boys in the bags take care of us every year-

I'll be working at the NTU show this year, if you happen to swing by....beers on me :)

Back