Mechanical E6B

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
As a student, I'm looking at everything with a fresh perspective. One of the neatest gadgets I've played with is the mechanical E6B. I may be one of the few people around that remembers the 'real live' slide rules, and the E6B capabilities just keep surprising me.

I got curious about how/when/where it was invented and have started looking into the history.

Does anybody have an 'old' one? How have they changed over the years? I'm curious as to how many originals still exist and how to find one.

Thanks,

Matt

The old "whiz wheel", as I've heard it called, has been around at least since WWII - so I've been told.

Mine is 25 years old. I've forgotten how to use it

Jim

I think the wheel is a very cool little tool. I used it through most of my training for my PPL until I got flustered during my DIVERSION exercise and opted for the sporty's e6b. It was easier to use and gave me what I needed quicker. ESPECIALLY when working on my XC NAV LOGS. I did my first few with the wizwheel and knocked off about 40 minutes of prep time when I went to the electronic version. I am glad I started off with it so I could learn the basics of it. But when I need to do something today I always use the electronic e6b.

I saw a VERY OLD one on display behind glass when I went to http://www.museumofaviation.com (been there a few times) and saw how beat up it was. I think it was metal. Made me appreciate what the people years ago in that era did to get their *figures* in aviation.

I have a metal one (aluminum) that belonged to my father that was made in the mid 1970's. Still has the manual and original pouch to.

glpilot said:
I think the wheel is a very cool little tool. I used it through most of my training for my PPL until I got flustered during my DIVERSION exercise and opted for the sporty's e6b. It was easier to use and gave me what I needed quicker. ESPECIALLY when working on my XC NAV LOGS. I did my first few with the wizwheel and knocked off about 40 minutes of prep time when I went to the electronic version. I am glad I started off with it so I could learn the basics of it. But when I need to do something today I always use the electronic e6b.

I saw a VERY OLD one on display behind glass when I went to http://www.museumofaviation.com (been there a few times) and saw how beat up it was. I think it was metal. Made me appreciate what the people years ago in that era did to get their *figures* in aviation.

I use the electronic E6B for preflight planning, but in the plane I use the mechanical whiz wheel. Once mastered, it's faster, plenty accurate, and easier for me.

AFAIK, the E-6B hasn't really changed since Dalton invented it 70 years ago except for the introduction of plastic (metal only in the 30's) and the addition of the mach scales (compressibility wasn't a planning issue back then other than to avoid it).

I tried the electronic ones when they first came out. I found that it was tough to punch the correct keys in turbulence, further, it actually took longer than spinning the wheel and lastly, it was one more set of batteries to look after. I carry the old E6B with me and still use it as my primary calculating tool.

I read somewhere that the little hole on one side was there so pilots could wear the E6B around their neck on a lanyard.

Yep, still have my original, circa 1972. I like it a lot better than any of the electronic one's.

Gary

Matthew said:
As a student, I'm looking at everything with a fresh perspective. One of the neatest gadgets I've played with is the mechanical E6B. I may be one of the few people around that remembers the 'real live' slide rules, and the E6B capabilities just keep surprising me.

I got curious about how/when/where it was invented and have started looking into the history.

Does anybody have an 'old' one? How have they changed over the years? I'm curious as to how many originals still exist and how to find one.

Thanks,

Matt

My great uncle gave me one I have squirreled away at my folks with all my other stuff I don't want to lose, it was one he carried in a P-47 then a P-51 over Europe in WWII, so they're at least that old. Looks the same as the one I carry now which is a 20 year old Jeppessen aluminum one, except it has some Mach calculation features.

bbchien said:
Ah. The mach window, makes it a C-2 rather than an E6B. :)

Yeah probably, to me they're all a "Whiz Wheel". Personally I still like the mechanical unit better than the electronic ones, although I find myself rarely using one anyway. Maybe I'm getting sloppy and complacent, but I do my flight planning in my head and keep a running tab there when underway. I got tired of doing meticulous planning just to divert and waste it. The only time I push fuel limits anyway is trans-oceanic.

Matthew said:

If you're an AOPA member Barry Schiff did an interesting article on them in April 2000:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2000/wind0004.html

Original was 1933 according to the article.

Matthew said:

I've seen a few in assorted museums from the mid 30's though it's been a while since I've seen them.

Mine is from 1956. My dad gave his to me when I started flying. I also have a 1983 electronic one but it doesn't get used much except for units conversions. I find that the whiz wheel is way more practical. All the numbers are right in front of me so it's harder to bugger the setup. Once you learn to use it, it's much easier and one heck of a lot faster than the electronic versions on the ground and in the air...and you can use it one handed in turbulence to run real time fuel consumption/range trending calculations without having to think your way through the math.

It's so cool to hear y'all still use the mechanical E6-B, I thought I was one of the last. Like Joe said, it's faster than the electronic version. Twice I have won bets that I could complete the calcs faster than the batt powered unit.

Diversions are a snap.

fgcason said:
Mine is from 1956. My dad gave his to me when I started flying.

I've still got the one my dad used in WWII. It works better than the one I got from the Cessna Pilot Center about 30 years ago.

My wife has her Dad's E6B from WWII when he was a B-17 Navigator. It's not much different from a modern one.

Back