Maverick Gone West

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I'm not sure how many here remember Maverick, whose real name was Jean Douglass. She was an instrument-rated private pilot who was at one time very active on this board and especially on the Babes message board before its demise. I think her last in-person contact with the pilot community was at a fly-in lunch at KBMI in 2013; I remember that Dr. Bruce was there, and (I think) Scott M, though I could be confusing that fly-in with others as it was a long time ago. It was the last time I flew with her; she was the friend who helped me get into aviation, and whose Cardinal she permitted me to fly for about a year and a half. She was also an active ham, call sign N8CTN. Tailwinds, Jean... :(

Aw geez ... Thanks for posting this, azure. I'm sorry to hear it.
I think the last time I saw her in person was at Missa's farewell dinner. Forever ago. Still, good times ...

Aw geez ... Thanks for posting this, azure. I'm sorry to hear it.
I think the last time I saw her in person was at Missa's farewell dinner. Forever ago. Still, good times ...
Thanks, Liz. I'd forgotten that you had met her as well. Definitely, good times...

I met her a couple times. I think the last time was in WI and a plane wouldn't start. I think Moxie was there as well.:(

I met her a couple times. I think the last time was in WI and a plane wouldn't start. I think Moxie was there as well.:(
Hi Ed! Yes, at Lake Lawn. I was going to fly us home, but the starter failed. Jean actually tried to hand prop it with me at the controls, but it wouldn't so much as fire once. I had to work the next day and so jumped at another pilot's offer to fly me home, while Jean stayed with the plane - and with Moxie. That was in April 2005 I believe.

For those who don't know, Moxie (Barbara Brinck) was a pilot who started the Babes board and organized many of these small fly-ins. SOP on returning home was to "close your Moxie plan" by posting to the board that you were safely home. Moxie died of cancer sometime around 2010 (I think). :(

Hi Ed! Yes, at Lake Lawn. I was going to fly us home, but the starter failed. Jean actually tried to hand prop it with me at the controls, but it wouldn't so much as fire once. I had to work the next day and so jumped at another pilot's offer to fly me home, while Jean stayed with the plane - and with Moxie. That was in April 2005 I believe.

For those who don't know, Moxie (Barbara Brinck) was a pilot who started the Babes board and organized many of these small fly-ins. SOP on returning home was to "close your Moxie plan" by posting to the board that you were safely home. Moxie died of cancer sometime around 2010 (I think). :(
That was also when I got my duck from Moxie. It still rides front and center on the glareshield.

That was also when I got my duck from Moxie. It still rides front and center on the glareshield.
I have my duck too - it's in my flight bag though. I forget exactly when I got it, though I think it was Dave Belfi who gave it to me, not Moxie.

Back