Low Testosterone

L

LowT

I've been diagnosed with low testosterone. It's not shocking - I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm also fairly new to flying, so I haven't seen or heard a lot about it from other pilots. Google searches make me think it'll be a non-issue, but but I've found very little about it that's definitive. I'm assuming there are plenty of pilots who have the same issue and keep flying?

My real question is this: I got these lab results a few days ago, and am due for my medical in a couple of weeks. Am I correct in thinking that I should delay going back to the doctor to discuss treatment and get a prescription until afterI get my medical? I've heard that sometimes it can take a little while to get the dosage right, and I'd rather have 6 months to do that in consultation with my doctor, not my doctor and the FAA.

Anything I'm not thinking of here?

I've been diagnosed with low testosterone. It's not shocking - I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm also fairly new to flying, so I haven't seen or heard a lot about it from other pilots. Google searches make me think it'll be a non-issue, but but I've found very little about it that's definitive. I'm assuming there are plenty of pilots who have the same issue and keep flying?

My real question is this: I got these lab results a few days ago, and am due for my medical in a couple of weeks. Am I correct in thinking that I should delay going back to the doctor to discuss treatment and get a prescription until afterI get my medical? I've heard that sometimes it can take a little while to get the dosage right, and I'd rather have 6 months to do that in consultation with my doctor, not my doctor and the FAA.

Anything I'm not thinking of here?
I got a letter from the doc, progress note, stating I was on TRT and it was stable and controlled with no issues. Since the e blocker is used in cancer he wrote in that it was for TRT and nothing else. The AME didn’t even care or blink an eye, he said lots are on it, and that was all that was said. Totally cool about it. I don’t think it’ll be a big issue for you, if he asks tell him you are likely going on it. Might call before hand and ask what they think you need to do.

I doubt it’s a flight issue, but for general health you should follow up.

I'll suggest to ask your provider about HCG instead of TRT.
I have no experience with either, and am not recommending either one, but there is some research that indicates it may be more beneficial depending on the person.

There’s a lot of advertising promoting that people have low T, these are basically just doctors who operate a puppy mill and want to get people on a subscription. They will say you have low T even if you do not have low T.

On another note, I would get your T levels checked a few times through your “trusted” doctor, if you have one. I had my T levels tested before and my trusted doc said they are fine whereas another doc said they were low. Go early in the morning, make sure you didn’t eat or drink anything that day, or the night before. T levels fluctuate and are not stable.

Now if you think you have low energy levels, I would first start to solve the problem before medicating. Low T comes from being overweight and drinking lots of alcohol (for me), if any of those apply to you, I’m sure there’s other reasons too. If you tackle those two items, your T should improve and you’ll feel better. If you jump to TRT, you’ll still have those mainstream issues that will affect you later, but yes TRT will make you feel younger again, you’ll get acne again, sex drive will be better (I’ve never tried it but I have friends who have). But hey we do age we get older, I embrace it, partake in the gym, eat less in general and less sugar, and I do 18 hour fasting (few times during the weekdays) which helps my energy levels.

Back